King's Quest VI Help (Spoilers)

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

King's Quest VI Help (Spoilers)

#1 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:41 pm

Hey gang, I've recently started replaying this and I don't remember a single puzzle so it's a very fresh game for me. I was wondering about the part were the arcangels decide to throw you into the catacombs. They talk for a long while about getting everything ready to go in. Thing is I don't know what I'm getting ready for so what should I have in my inventory at this point to get by? Also does this game have any dead ends I should be aware of? Thanks.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: King's Quest VI Help (Spoilers)

#2 Post by Erpy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:45 pm

Yes, there are dead ends in KQ6, though not as numerous or treacherous as the ones in KQ5. In order to survive the catacombs, you need the following things:

- A lamp
- A red scarf
- A hole in the wall
- A brick

If you lack those items, I believe the winged ones will allow you to leave the island once before tossing you in, though that's mostly hearsay....didn't experience it myself.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#3 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:53 pm

ah I left my hole in the wall at the castle. They do thwrow you in without it, thanks for the speedy reply Erpy, I'll post if I have more questions.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#4 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:22 pm

Maybe I have a different version, but they did let me leave if I didn't have everything...

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:30 pm

Yes, they do. I only got the hole-in-a-pocket after much later in the game. Good game, King's Quest VI, it has my favourite puzzle on a graphic adventure ever (the five guardians). :p

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Brainiac » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:55 pm

Yeah, I've experienced the rulers of the Winged Ones (not archangels...not even close) letting me leave to get what I need before as well. The dead-end danger comes in returning without the four required items as you will be summarily thrown into the catacombs by the guards as soon as you reach the top of the mountain.

The biggest dead end is if you go through the long ending path. There are three items that you must acquire that are quite easy to miss and will result in you being unable to progress further (one is used almost immediately, one to enter the Palace of the Crown, and the last in Alhazred's chambers).

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:23 am

Yes, in my version they let you leave and come back as well.

....arcangels lol.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#8 Post by Spikey » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:28 pm

If you visit the first time, they'll let you leave if you don't have everything, but throw you in if you do. I think that if you come back a second time, with or without the things you need, they'll throw you in anyway, resulting in a dead end.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Brainiac » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:57 am

Brainiac wrote:Yeah, I've experienced the rulers of the Winged Ones (not archangels...not even close) letting me leave to get what I need before as well. The dead-end danger comes in returning without the four required items as you will be summarily thrown into the catacombs by the guards as soon as you reach the top of the mountain.
Spikey wrote:If you visit the first time, they'll let you leave if you don't have everything, but throw you in if you do. I think that if you come back a second time, with or without the things you need, they'll throw you in anyway, resulting in a dead end.
Anybody else hear an echo in here? :lol

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#10 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:31 pm

I noticed this when I restored and got all the items and went there for the "first" ime. Whats the long path and what dead ends might I hit? I'm in the valley of the dead right now. I also clearly don't know what an arch angel is. I thought the criteria was "Guy with wings"

Fender178
Knight Status

#11 Post by Fender178 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:34 pm

The long path is when you go inside the castle via the magic paint spell.
Well If your going the long path and to get full points hers what you need to do while in the Land of the dead. Get the ticket form the Queen then you need to get the handkerchief from the mother ghost. Then Play the bones for the skeletons to get the key. You need 1 item to get to the lord of the dead. 1 you should have gotten from the catacombs which is the old coins. Also you need 2 items to get past the lord of the dead of 1 you should have gotten form the Isle of the Beast which is Beast's mirror and 1 item you should have gotten form the Land of the Dead which is the gauntlet. the Also to to get the full amount of points you need to get the river styx with the tea cup so you can make the Make paint spell.
Here are the following dead ends
1. Not having the Gauntlet
2. Not having the coins
3. forgetting to get the river styx. (need in order to make the paint)

Its not a dead end but you wont get the best ending if you didn't get mock of the genie's lamp and give it to Jollo after you are in the castle. Its not a dead end but you wont get full points if you dont give the handkerchief to the boy ghost while inside the dungeon. Also its a dead end if you forget to get the letter from the Alhazred's room to give to Saladin. This is inside of the castle mind you.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Brainiac » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 pm

<sigh> Well, I was trying to be a bit vague, but since Fender pretty much threw it all out...

...Once you've gotten Beauty and Beast together, you can choose your path. Going to the Castle of the Crown immediately is the short path. Heading to the Isle of the Mists is the long path. The long path will eventually take you into the Land of the Dead which is where dead ends abound...maybe that was deliberate? :rollin You must indeed remember to get the ghost mother's handkerchief, the skeleton key, the Styx water, and the black gauntlet as soon as you get the chance for each as you can't really backtrack once you enter the lower parts of this realm. And as Fender also mentioned, before you get here you must have taken the coins from the catacombs (their use is obvious to a student of Greek mythology) in order to get through this location.

Fender said getting the ghost mother's handkerchief is not a dead end. It may or may not be, I'm not sure, but the child ghost you give it to in the castle has some information that's rather critical to get.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:37 am

by reading Brainiac's post I ignored fenders as it might spoil the game for me. Seems I took the long path without even knowing there was another option (omg just thought of it. You dress in drag don't you.)
I think I may have missed the gauntlet... is that by chance where you use the drachmas as well?

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#14 Post by Spikey » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:50 pm

Regarding the above, you also need the cup before you go to the land of the dead, else you can't get the Styx water, right?
Brainiac wrote:
Brainiac wrote:Yeah, I've experienced the rulers of the Winged Ones (not archangels...not even close) letting me leave to get what I need before as well. The dead-end danger comes in returning without the four required items as you will be summarily thrown into the catacombs by the guards as soon as you reach the top of the mountain.
Spikey wrote:If you visit the first time, they'll let you leave if you don't have everything, but throw you in if you do. I think that if you come back a second time, with or without the things you need, they'll throw you in anyway, resulting in a dead end.
Anybody else hear an echo in here? :lol
Brains, by now you should know I don't read your posts. :lol

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Brainiac » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:24 pm

Spikey wrote:Brains, by now you should know I don't read your posts. :lol
Sorry, did you say something? I wasn't paying attention. :p

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#16 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:49 am

I'm pretty much at the end of the game now but I'm hoping I didn't run into any dead ends in the castle. It seems to me like there are several potential ways to screw yourself here. I read somewhere that you're supposed to do something in Jollos room but whenever I go in there he immediatly ends my game saying he's "seen me around town"

Knight Status

#17 Post by 1234567890 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:48 pm

You ruined the game a while ago, press crl+a to see my hint.

when you are in the pawn shoppe, you trade the ring and get the Magic Map right? Then you need to go to the Isle of wonder, read the book to the clam, get the pearl, and go back to the Pawn Shoppe, and trade the Pearl, get the ring back, go into Alis Books, and show Jollo the ring, then he helps you, and knows you, not just "Seen you around."

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#18 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

I've done all of that except show him the ring. That's kinda lame. Is this a game closing dead end or is there an alternate ending that can be achieved?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#19 Post by Erpy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:03 pm

It's impossible to befriend Jollo if you haven't done so already by showing him the ring earlier in the game while he was hanging out in the bookstore. (you could actually do this before getting the magic map) If Jollo doesn't know you, you'll need a mint leaf which could be obtained on the Isle of the Sacred Mountain.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Brainiac » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:06 pm

Right, what Erpy said. The proper long ending (as in full points) involves befriending Jollo. Without his help (which you can't get on the short path due to no access for the basement floor) you have to distract Shameir with his well-established weakness. If you can do neither, you are indeed at a lifeless termination - commence the restoration.

Knight Status

#21 Post by 1234567890 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

exactly, sorry, but I think you blew it to put simply.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#22 Post by Brainiac » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:09 pm

1234567890 wrote:exactly, sorry, but I think you blew it to put simply.
I prefer my non-simple way of putting it. :p

Knight Status

#23 Post by 1234567890 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:14 pm

Yeah, did you save it way back on a different file? Always save a bunch of different files.

Fender178
Knight Status

#24 Post by Fender178 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Sry QFGfan I didnt mean to ruin the entire game for ya.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#25 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:35 pm

I have a save from just before entering the castle I can get the mint from that one.