Looking for my first place. (Advice thread)

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Looking for my first place. (Advice thread)

#1 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:01 pm

So I live in a residence right now during my first year at University and I'm going apartment hunting for the first time tomorrow. My questions to the rest of you are simple: What do you look for in a new place? and what should I know about landlords? Thanks in advance everyone.

Sandsai
Peasant Status

Re: Looking for my first place. (Advice thread)

#2 Post by Sandsai » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:11 am

ATM, if you plan on maybe renting a home ask your landlord for proof that he is current on his mortgage. Given the economic mess folks are in now a days, it is not unlikely for landlords to get foreclosed on in a middle of a lease. Your only remedy at a time like this is to sue the landlord; all i can say is good luck suing a foreclosed on landlord who is all likely to be either insolvent or pretty close to it. This is not as likely to happen with apartments but, again, given the uncertainly of the economy I would expect to see some apartment buildings go too. So just make sure that your landlord is current on the mortgage. That's my piece of advice.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#3 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:29 am

I was more concerned with what to look for materially in the abode itself over several places as opposed to specific bum landlords.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:51 pm

It depends what's important to you.
I asked about security in my building, and how loud (on average) it was. I wanted to know how well sound traveled through the walls/ceiling/floor so I could gauge how loud I could have my music without bugging my neighbors, and also to know how much they'd be bugging me.
I also asked if it was mostly students, families or the elderly.
As for costs, find out what's included in the rent (water, electricity, heat, cable etc..).
Ask about parking costs if you have a car, if animals are allowed if you have a pet, or pet allergies, find out how close the nearest grocery store is (this will be important) and how big the apartment is (not all one rooms are created equal), if they have a laundry room and if the landlord lives in the building (this can affect how quickly things get fixed when they break).

That's all I can think of for now.I'll post more if I can think of it.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks LP, one place I looked at had the landlord living next door and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#6 Post by Lady Pyro » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:07 pm

Next door isn't to bad, any further away can start to become inconvenient. Especially if your own schedule isn't very flexible.
A bad landlord will use it as an excuse to cancel meetings or ignore you, especially when you're about to move out and there's a need to discuss the return of the damage deposit.
But that's just my experience.

thehawk
Peasant Status

#7 Post by thehawk » Fri May 01, 2009 10:45 pm

Sooo... Am I the only one who looks at things like how easy it will be to string CAT-5? How many tables can be put where for network parties? How much electrical power is available and where?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#8 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue May 05, 2009 5:18 am

I forgot I had made this thread! Thanks necromancy. The place I ended up with does seem like a pretty good find and I did indeed look at how many outlets were in the room (5 pairs) and how far the modem was. I also took into account what side of the house the room was on as I'm not an early riser by any means and didn't want to be woken by the sun.