Serious project in need of a good pixel artist!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

Serious project in need of a good pixel artist!

#1 Post by Axil the Able » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Hello there.

Sorry for an off-off-topic, but there's sharp neccesity of any free pixel artists. Yes, it's a free just-to-be-done project, and it demands some volunteers. "Shinobi no Mono: The Challenge", that's a name of it, 2D 1x1 Neo-Classical (oldschool) Fighting ft. Ninja as some of you might guessed already. Basically speaking i'm a director of this one :hat , i know exactly how everything should be alike, but then again i'm not able to do all the stuff just by myself.

Besides i'm not an artist at all, i'm just a bit desperate currently and trying to do something on my own. However i need more people at least to draw backgrounds because i'm totally unable to do that. And i can't do any shadows for my sprites either. Here's some of my works:

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

If anyone interested to join the project and wants his name to be in a titles - welcome aboard! For any questions and any useful info PM me.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re: Serious project in need of a good pixel artist!

#2 Post by Gronagor » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Hmmm... would be more interesting if the characters looked like the ones you took the names from.

What program will you be using.

PS: Should be in game making forum...

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Axil the Able » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Gronagor wrote:Hmmm... would be more interesting if the characters looked like the ones you took the names from.

What program will you be using.

PS: Should be in game making forum...

Actually nobody knows how exactly they were looking like. Those are partially historical and mythical characters. So i've made them using my own imagination. Not to much details, so it would be easier to work with those. And also these are experimental ninjas, they could be highly improved, i'm still working on them, but it would be better if someone helped me with that. Anyway, if you could show me their real pics maybe i would change my mind ;)

As for program (interpreter), once i thought that i'd use MUGEN or Fighter Maker 95/2002, but i've decided to make my own engine. However it's up to programmer. And i'm not such one.

P. S. It shouldn't, because it's not related to any adventures.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:41 pm

Ok. Just wondered because most of those names are currently being used in some type of anime, series or other.
Can't say I'm all up to speed with Japanese history and myths, so forgive my ignorance.

Let me say you'd probably need to get someone to finish the engine first before claiming the making of the game.
That's by far the hardest work!

PS: I think someone willing to create an engine to work in XP/Vista and higher-res graphics, could make a bit of money
if he charges 1 or 2 dollars for the use of it (or just trying ad-revenue). Many people want to create small 2D fight games (for whatever reason) , but mugen and fighter maker are really outdated.

Axil the Able
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Axil the Able » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Gronagor wrote:Ok. Just wondered because most of those names are currently being used in some type of anime, series or other.
Can't say I'm all up to speed with Japanese history and myths, so forgive my ignorance.

Let me say you'd probably need to get someone to finish the engine first before claiming the making of the game.
That's by far the hardest work!

PS: I think someone willing to create an engine to work in XP/Vista and higher-res graphics, could make a bit of money
if he charges 1 or 2 dollars for the use of it (or just trying ad-revenue). Many people want to create small 2D fight games (for whatever reason) , but mugen and fighter maker are really outdated.

Yeah, i've suspected what dod you think of. And yes, at first i wanted to make something SNK/Capcom alike, but i've realized that i'm just totally uncapable to do such things, so i've decided to get down from heaven to mother earth and to do something a bit easier. But hey, no wonders about your suspicion, those name are common for many anime series and some of them are widely used in many games, usually japanese ones. Like Sasuke, Goemon, Hanzou and etc. But then again i wouldn't say that they're really matching original characters. I don't like this modern anime approach at all. I prefer something more original, classical... so in that case my characters a bit more matching to originals itselves and i want it to be similar to such oldies like Budokan: Martial Spirit, The Way of the Exploding Fist, Way of the Tiger, partially MK maybe... and some of others. And also, i'm planning to integrate an ability to draw/hide any weapon used by each character, which is a rare thing to see in any fightings. Personally i know just 2 such games: Ninja Masters (SNK, 1996) and Mortal Kombat 4. And there's a lot of other things i'd like to say but it'll be to much for today :)

As a matter a fact i think vice versa... the most difficult thing is graphics. And i guess there's much more programmers can be found than artists. So it's a way more expensive job. Well, that's just my personal point of view. But hey, thanks for suggestion. And yes, i don't want to use MUGEN nor FM95/2002 at least for one reason: i want my own amateur but anyway a trademark :)