DOSBox Ported to the Wii!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

DOSBox Ported to the Wii!

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun May 17, 2009 2:56 am

I've been following the development of this for a while but finally there's a working build! It was initially called WiiDOS in conception stages but since the release was changed to DOSBox Wii. I've tried it out and it works rather nicely! It's still a bit limited. You can't go too high on cpu cycles yet without causing it to start skipping and slowing down. Sound support is also in beginning stages. Adlib doesn't sound very good at all yet, but PC Speaker, Tandy 3-Voice, and Digital sounds seem to work nicely thus far (minus the skipping and slowing down).

I've tried various Sierra games that work nicely: SQ4, KQ5, KQ1Remake, and KQ2. Wolfenstein 3D works nicely, though. I plan to try a few more later on (didn't have much time today to do it). I already tried running Windows 3.11 on it and sadly it does not work :( (yet).

I'm very excited about this, though. With the addition of DOSBox to the Wii's ever-growing supported Homebrew application list the Wii has become my number one gaming system of all time with the support of emulators, ScummVM, DOSBox, and of course Gamecube and Wii games themselves. DOSBox and ScummVM themselves cover a LOT of games, but that along with all the emulators available (NES, GBA, SNES, GEN, SMS, GG, PSX, Saturn, Atari, Amiga, AppleIIe, and the list goes on and on), the possibilities are near endless.

MusicallyInspired

Re: DOSBox Ported to the Wii!

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon May 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Here's a video I made. First I show off my ScummVM, GeexBox, and Duke Nukem 64 channels then I start DOSBox. I play Conquests of Camelot with Tandy sound, King's Quest V with Adlib sound, and Duke Nukem 1 with PC Speaker sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhcoDScZKJI

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Mon May 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Cool video! I didn't know the Wii had a keyboard. Also, the first two Duke Nukum are so long that I got bored after a while and never finished them. :cry

MusicallyInspired

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon May 18, 2009 1:26 pm

The Wii can use USB keyboards/mice. And I loved the first Duke Nukem games!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14 pm

Dosbox 0.73 released!!! :D

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#6 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:43 pm

This looks quite promising, I loved your vid of KQ5 MI!