Monkey Island Special Edition coming to XBox Live Arcade!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Monkey Island Special Edition coming to XBox Live Arcade!

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed May 20, 2009 1:04 pm

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/05/the_s ... and_co.php

If this happens I'm totally getting a 360 next chance I get!
Yes, it's been an awfully long time, but it appears that The Secret Of Monkey Island is coming back, and to the Xbox 360.

The German USK rating board has revealed that The Secret Of Monkey Island - Special Edition is on its way. This was the very original Monkey Island game, from all the way back in 1990. As for what makes it a Special Edition is currently unknown -- could they be re-doing the graphics? Could the game possibly have a voice cast?

The rating suggests that Activision might have some involvement in the project, but most likely this is simply Activision Europe rating the title for LucasArts, as they are the European publishing arm that LucasArts use. We can only assume this is an Xbox Live Arcade title, but there is a slim chance that this is a retail retelling of the original too.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Monkey Island Special Edition coming to XBox Live Arcade!

#2 Post by Brainiac » Wed May 20, 2009 1:12 pm

Dang. Beat me to it. I wonder what Ron will have to say when he finds out...

MusicallyInspired

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:39 am

For those who weren't there or didn't know, LucasArts did a live 1-hour playthrough of the new Monkey Island Special Edition today at Justin.tv and it just ended a little while ago. I recorded most of the entire playthrough (audio only). So you can't see anything, but you can hear some of the updates. Plenty of examples of voice work and the new soundtrack as well. It's in OGG Vorbis format because it's smaller than MP3 and it's quite a long file (brought the file size down 94.7%!).

I missed the intro music and the opening. But the recording starts in the Scumm Bar while talking to Spiffy, I believe. They also switch between the Special Edition and Classic modes often so when the sound dies down and you hear the original CD-ROM version that's what that is. Enjoy. The quality is actually pretty good. If you don't know how to play OGG files then download Winamp or a plugin for Windows Media Player. The sound is also a little loud and distorted just at the beginning because I had the volume level up too high. I fixed it shortly after recording.

Monkey Island Special Edition Playthrough 52:42 long, 28.4MB

Some musical cues. Some of these aren't the only times they come up:

00:00 - Scumm Bar
06:47 - LeChuck's Theme (cutscene)
14:38 - Jail Theme (Otis) (notice that this version uses the alternate bass lead from the Adlib/MT-32 soundtrack that wasn't included in the CD-ROM version)
16:40 - Following the Shopkeeper
21:56 - The Circus
24:22 - Melee Island Map
26:24 - Voodoo Shop I love this version but my only issue is that this wouldn't sound near as threatening enough in the Monkey Island cave tunnel maze
52:02 - Stan's Used Ships

Also I missed the Loom guy's sales pitch, but the voice acting for that character was spectacularly goofy! Too bad I missed it. The shopkeeper's voice is absolutely excellent.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Brainiac » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:13 am

If you want video, Justin.tv has the broadcast archived in four parts:

http://www.justin.tv/clip/51614f11159958be
http://www.justin.tv/clip/e2ed2efb16b700d7
http://www.justin.tv/clip/9fc63696aa02f759
http://www.justin.tv/clip/2e48e093c9479bed

In addition, the new remixed theme is playable on its own here with an MP3 download here.

MusicallyInspired

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:28 am

Yeah, I just noticed that and was going to post it. My recording was unnecessary :(.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#6 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:47 pm

I'm hoping it will be released for PSN aswell, don't know why Sony haven't sorted that out. I'll be getting the Tales of MI for Wii though.