Captain N the Game Master

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

Captain N the Game Master

#1 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:04 am

Who here remembers this show it was my favorite cartoon growing up. I'd honestly love to see a video game based on the show with retro NES graphics.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Captain N the Game Master

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 am

I remember watching that cartoon about two decades ago, even though I hadn't really played many of the game referred to on the show. It was a pretty neat way to market games for a console instead of just commercials. (of course, Mario and Zelda had their own show)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 21, 2009 12:08 pm

Erpy wrote:(of course, Mario and Zelda had their own show)
And the Zelda show crossed over with Captain N.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu May 21, 2009 3:29 pm

All I know of Captain N is that the fanmade online show Captain S is a parody of it (and I only know that because Captain S did a crossover with the Angry Video Game Nerd).

Oh, I also recall seeing a comic where Captain N looks dumbfounded and says "Metroid's a girl??"

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 21, 2009 5:14 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Oh, I also recall seeing a comic where Captain N looks dumbfounded and says "Metroid's a girl??"
<snerk> You've been staring at the altered panel mjmclean posted at Metroid Metal too long. :p Please direct Kevin Keene to the Video Games section of I Am Not Shazam at TVTropes.

Dragonfang
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Dragonfang » Fri May 22, 2009 12:23 am

<snerk> You've been staring at the altered panel mjmclean posted at Metroid Metal too long. :p Please direct Kevin Keene to the Video Games section of I Am Not Shazam at TVTropes.
TVTropes... funny... I've discovered this website some weeks ago. It's one of my top favorites.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by Lady Pyro » Fri May 22, 2009 9:18 am

I rewatched Captain N a few years ago. It's both fantastic and horrifying. I guess as a kid I never noticed the little things, like Link being from Brooklyn, or of the inanity of a giant flying Gameboy that spoke in third person. But I still loved it.
Simon was absolutely ridiculous, and every time I play a Castlevania game I shake my head a little, picturing this big blond moron in the spot of the competent hero, and when Pit showed up in Super Smash Bros Brawl, the only reason I remembered the game Kid Icarus was because of rewatching Captain N.
It was defiantly a lot of fun to revisit but I don't think I'll ever appreciate it the same way I did as a kid. Of course the same goes for the old Mario Brothers show, whose live action sequences now scare the crap out of me.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Fri May 22, 2009 10:13 am

I think that goes for a lot of youth sentiment, being it old saturday morning cartoons or old games. Sometimes it makes me wonder if growing older and learning to notice the little things is all that worth it.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Brainiac » Fri May 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Erpy wrote:I think that goes for a lot of youth sentiment, being it old saturday morning cartoons or old games. Sometimes it makes me wonder if growing older and learning to notice the little things is all that worth it.
Some things can stay just as good or even get better with an adult mindset. Gargoyles comes to mind.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#10 Post by Angelus3K » Fri May 22, 2009 1:17 pm

I used to love the show as a kid aswell like, haven't seen it in years though.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#11 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Well all I know is that I was shocked watching my DVDs of Captain N at all the inaccuracies and I agree with LP about Simon. But I love the show and the thought of if Nintendo and the other companies got together they could make a retro game to surpass the wonder that Mega Man 9 produced. I mean look at the possibilities each character could have they're own themed levels. After completing the levels maybe they could have it where you can go back as other characters and find hidden stuff only certain characters could find I mean imagine beating all the Castlevania levels with Simon it would be like a regular Castlevaia game but then going back as Mega Man to search for hidden Items or vice versa. It would be awesome but knowing Nintendo they will keep on rehashing the same old crap for years to come. I wish we lived in a power to the gamer world instead of this game companies have all the power world. I say give the gamers what they want for once.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Fri May 22, 2009 11:07 pm

Heh, ask 100 gamers what they want and you'll get 100 different answers.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Brainiac » Fri May 22, 2009 11:10 pm

Erpy wrote:Heh, ask 100 gamers what they want and you'll get 100 different answers.
I think 100 different answers is an underestimate. :p

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#14 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat May 23, 2009 6:11 am

seraphimdreamer777: the idea has been loosley done for a crossover game with themed levels, the thing is it's not Retro Nintendo, it's Nicktoons based. The Nicktoons unite game for the Gameboy Advanced ( also other consoles but I can't vouch for them) takes this basic concept and lets you control Danny Phantom, Spongebob, Timmy Turner etc etc with a handful of their powers (upgrades and you go) and the ability to unlock more characters to tackle themed (but simplistic) plateformer levels in a variety of ways. I know it's not quite the same as what you're imagining, but if you're interested, the loose concept does exist.

Retro gaming is tricky business. Nintendo dipped it's toes in the water with Super Smash Bros Brawl, seeing who remembered the ridiculous R.O.B, the simplistic Game and Watch and the aforementioned Pit, so it's not like they've completely forgotten 80's gamers. Unfortunately obscure/dated references don't always appeal, and more often then not don't sell. So I can understand why they might choose not to tackle an entire project based on the idea.

Sorry if some of that doesn't make sense, It's 3am and I'm about to head to work, I'm not sure my brain is awake.

2dgamers
Peasant Status

#15 Post by 2dgamers » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:59 am

I just watched Captain N a few nights ago on Netflix... They even have Zelda which was your classic early 90's cheese. Cartoons have come a long way.

One of my all-time-favorites was The Real Ghostbusters.