Silent Hill

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

Silent Hill

#1 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:59 am

Just watched the movie again for the third time. Good movie scared the crap out of me. I was wondering are the games worth getting cause I bought the movie today. The first two times I saw it was free movie on demand on my cable box I liked it so I got the movie on DVD.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Silent Hill

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat May 30, 2009 4:27 am

In my opinion, the games are much creepier than the movie due to the interactive aspect that personally involves the player. I love the Silent Hill series and I'd say that they represent one of the best examples of Japanese horror around!

The film was a fairly decent adaptation of the games (though many people hated it, I think it remained somewhat faithful). They melded elements from the SH1 and SH2 games together and, for some reason, changed the main character to a married woman looking for her child. I think the game's character of Harry Mason (a single father with no other attachments on the outside world) fits in much better with the somber mood of the story. I also think that some of the impact of the film is lost on viewers who experienced playing the games prior to seeing the movie.

As I recall, both the movie and the game make use of 'noise music", but again, it's put to far more effective use in the interactive game world. In short, if you enjoy horror, give the game a try and I think you'll find that the atmosphere puts you on edge more so than the film.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Loved the games, movie was good for a video game conversion. Only thing that really spoiled the movie was Sean Bean's awful US accent!

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:34 pm

The Silent Hill is my favorite survival horror series. I have played 1-4 and highly recommended them to any fan of the genre. Be warned that the games have their differences, and the first one is a bit dated at this point (what with the pterodactyl things and all). I personally find two had the best story, three had the best atmosphere and four was the scariest (to me).
A word of caution to those that have never played them though; If you like lots of monsters and high action, go to Resident evil. Silent Hill is about stopping in front of a door, holding your breath, swinging it open and shooting at shadows. It's not about aiming for the head and leading the swarm into a narrow hall to pick them off, it's going up the stairs into a badly lit hall to hear the fair scraping of something pacing up ahead, getting your gun ready and slowly approaching to find nothing there, then you turn and it's right behind you.
I like the Silent Hill games, and if it turns out you do too, may I recommend as well the Fatal Frame series. Many good times to be had there as well and in that case, all you have is a camera. It might not seem like a big deal when written out but trust me after a few hours of snapping pictures, you pray for the comfort of a handgun or lead pipe.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#5 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:43 am

Yea Deb and I used to love Fatal Frame back in the day too! I think it might have been called something else over here or in US.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Yea Deb and I used to love Fatal Frame back in the day too! I think it might have been called something else over here or in US.
Fatal Frame is the NTSC-U/C title. In PAL countries, it was Project Zero (and Zero in the NTSC-J regions).

The fourth game in the series was unfortunately scrapped for localization; it remains Japan-only.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by Lady Pyro » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:26 pm

That sucks, I love those games with a fiery passion. I never got to finish the third one (or the mindf*** Eternal Darkness) due to my buddy moving away, but beginning to end the first two were GOLDEN.

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#8 Post by VampD3 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:37 pm

The games are excellent. They are one of my favourite games of all time. I have just finished the latest one :- Homecoming. Just as great as the rest!!

I would totally recommend playing them. As for Fatel Frame, it was way to scary so I never played it much. Chris and I played through the first bit of it and it was too scary having to point the camera at things in time!!