Tales of Monkey Island Series!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: Tales of Monkey Island Series!

#26 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:37 am

I believe there was some dialog about a beard near the start. I'm at work now but when I finish in 10 hours I'll upload a prop file with lowest resolution and lowest graphic setting and see if that works for you.

EDIT: Some guy on the TellTale support forums is saying that changing colour resolution FROM 16bit to 32bit has fixed the black gui for some people. Sounds like that could be it in theory.

EDIT2: Someone from the TellTale team has actually already posted a basic prop file with lowest settings and even windowed mode so that should allow you to get in and tinker with the settings, if that doesnt work I think its time for a new gfx card lol!!!

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/sho ... stcount=16

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#27 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:09 am

The Guybrush growing a beard gag in CMI is actually a reference to MI2 Where he had a beard growing in that was never seen again. I think the line in MI3 is when he meets wally again and says "Didn't I have a really cool beard back then? what happened to that?." As far as ToMI goes I just got past the "porcelain" puzzle and am still working on getting off the island. So far it seems to follow the same MI formula but the wit doesn't seem to be there like it was before. hopefully this picks up.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#28 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:46 am

I think alot of the wit comes from objects you examine then when you hover the mouse over the object again the description is usually something quite funny.

Btw what is the deal with his fear of porcelain? I've played all the games and it goes on about it quite a bit in CMI but can't recall what its from.

I'm actually really looking forward to the MI2 Special edition, I can pretty much remember 90% of MI1 but its been so long since I played MI2 it'll be a semi new experiance!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#29 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:37 am

No dice, I'm afraid. It probably would have been prudent to make the game options configurable from outside the game rather than forcing you to load it up before you can adjust any graphics settings. I can't change the graphics mode to 16-bit, because I can't actually see the menu that deals with altering the graphics settings -- not even with the prop file that TellTale posted. I'm actually kind of surprised how slow the game seems. My PC runs Doom3 and Quake4 faster than this!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#30 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:14 am

No that can't be changed in game, what they mean about the 32bit colour is right click on your desktop and goto properties to bring up the display properties then click settings then in Colour Quality (which should be next to your screen resolution) make sure its set to 32bit and not 16bit.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#31 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Ah, okay. Gotcha. I just tried that too, and attempting to launch the game in 16-bit mode gave me an error message about not being able to initialize Direct3D. Guess I'll have to upgrade before I can play it (and a bunch of other games too).

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#32 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Angelus3K wrote: Btw what is the deal with his fear of porcelain? I've played all the games and it goes on about it quite a bit in CMI but can't recall what its from.

I'm actually really looking forward to the MI2 Special edition, I can pretty much remember 90% of MI1 but its been so long since I played MI2 it'll be a semi new experiance!
The Porcelain joke is a reference to Indiana Jones' irrational fear of snakes. Most fans speculate it was sheriff Shinetop hitting him in the head with the porcelain vase in MI1 that started it though.
Have they announced that MI2 is going to be remade as well or is that just speculation?

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#33 Post by Klytos » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:26 pm

There was a twitter post about an MI:2 remake a week or so ago. I still await official confirmation.

I love MI. Tales of Monkey Island 1 has halted progress on bug fixing in SQ2 by a few days.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#34 Post by Brainiac » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:24 am

Considering your avatar, no one is surprised by this, Klytos.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#35 Post by Lady Pyro » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:20 am

Why would they remake MI 2? It seemed pretty solid to me. Granted it's been quite a while since I dusted it off but still...

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#36 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:02 pm

No on would think so nowadays.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#37 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:16 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Ah, okay. Gotcha. I just tried that too, and attempting to launch the game in 16-bit mode gave me an error message about not being able to initialize Direct3D. Guess I'll have to upgrade before I can play it (and a bunch of other games too).
I think we're getting our wires crossed lol, launching in 16bit mode was the cause of the black GUI for some and switching to 32bit was the fix. Sounds like you were already running in 32bit mode (I mean WHO isnt these days) so that must not be the issue for you. Shame you can't try ToMI yet, what specs have you got?
Lady Pyro wrote:Why would they remake MI 2? It seemed pretty solid to me. Granted it's been quite a while since I dusted it off but still...
As I also said earlier, I too haven't played MI2 for at least 5 or 6 years (shame on me!) but I think to just bring it inline with the new MI1 with HD graphics and voice overs (not to mention compatability with XP/Vista and Windows 7) wouldnt hurt it at all, hell I'd buy it on release!

P.S. Don't you just freaking hate it when your internet cuts out when you hit submit and you get page cannot be displayed and you hit back and your whole post has gone and you have to rewrite it, it never comes out the same as when you first wrote it lol (although that can be a good thing as sometimes the rewrite does come out better). Need to install Opera on this laptop as that always kept your txt when you had to hit the back button!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#38 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:30 pm

It's all good, Angelus. I recalled that I did, in fact, have a second computer with a higher end video card which was able to run TOMI pretty nicely (though I noticed some odd polygon glitches in the character models).

Great looking game, though! And from what I've seen so far it does seem to successfully invoke some of that old CMI flavour. I do wonder why TellTale opted to go with that new method of making Guybrush walk by dragging and clicking the mouse simultaneously? That felt a little awkward and it seems that the tried-and-true single click method would have worked just as well...

I, too, am looking forward to the MI2 remake more than the MI1 remake. I always preferred the 2nd game so it will be interesting to see their new take on Largo, the spitting contest, gathering the ingredients for the vodoo doll, and all that stuff!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#39 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Ahh at last you got to savour the goodness!! How on earth did you forget you had a second computer lol!!

Too much hard work and not enough play, thats what methinks!

MusicallyInspired

#40 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:58 pm

They changed from Point & Click because they're trying to evolve the genre. First of all, it's easier for console ports (which are the biggest market nowadays), second of all P&C only works well with static (or static camera-positioned) backgrounds (2D or 3D). TMI has lots of moving cameras that change positions and angles and move with the character. It's more cinematic. And sometimes there are close-up frames and even wide shots where the ground is almost perfectly horizontal with the screen which would be impossible to utilize P&C with it. They wanted to give the artists more freedom to create interesting frames that the camera can be positioned at. When compared to the Sam & Max seasons you can really tell the difference between S&M's boring static 3D "sets" backgrounds and TMI's immersive 3D worlds. P&C, in my opinion, doesn't work anymore. And if adventures are ever going to make it again they need to evolve. And this is the best direction. I welcome it.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#41 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:52 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:They changed from Point & Click because they're trying to evolve the genre. First of all, it's easier for console ports (which are the biggest market nowadays), second of all P&C only works well with static (or static camera-positioned) backgrounds (2D or 3D). TMI has lots of moving cameras that change positions and angles and move with the character. It's more cinematic. And sometimes there are close-up frames and even wide shots where the ground is almost perfectly horizontal with the screen which would be impossible to utilize P&C with it. They wanted to give the artists more freedom to create interesting frames that the camera can be positioned at. When compared to the Sam & Max seasons you can really tell the difference between S&M's boring static 3D "sets" backgrounds and TMI's immersive 3D worlds. P&C, in my opinion, doesn't work anymore. And if adventures are ever going to make it again they need to evolve. And this is the best direction. I welcome it.
Good points, I never really thought about it like that.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#42 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Makes sense that they'd design it for dual-compatibility with consoles, but I still wonder if this control system is really more intuitive than simply being able to use the arrow keys (or the D-pad/analogue controller on consoles) for walking and movement. Who knows... perhaps this has something to to with the graphics hardware in the system I'm playing on, but with the amount of camera movement and trying to simultaneously drag the mouse in the direction I want to walk, it seems Guybrush bumps into a lot more walls and obstacles than he would if I was just using the arrow keys. I guess a keys/mouse hybrid would also be beneficial, in that you could use the arrow keys to walk and the mouse to target and click the hotspots (kind of like EMI). Using the mouse for both walking and clicking means ultimately having to cover more screen real-estate with your mouse to perform every action in the game.

I'm certainly enjoying the game, and I'm sure I'll get used to the control system, though I think with adventures the storyline and memorability of the game are the long-term prevailing factors. Everything else is eye-candy. :) It's a good thing that TOMI seems strong in all of those departments, and I hope this title does well for TellTale!

papste
Royal Servant Status

#43 Post by papste » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:48 pm

I'd give it a 6/10 for the eye candy and all the cinematic stuff but generally i agree with the people that didn't like the interface much. I posted my arguments in the poll thread about how i think the "console port excuse" doesn't really stand as an excuse for the pathetic interface and I provide a link to it as to not repeat myself.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14347

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#44 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Makes sense that they'd design it for dual-compatibility with consoles, but I still wonder if this control system is really more intuitive than simply being able to use the arrow keys (or the D-pad/analogue controller on consoles) for walking and movement. Who knows... perhaps this has something to to with the graphics hardware in the system I'm playing on, but with the amount of camera movement and trying to simultaneously drag the mouse in the direction I want to walk, it seems Guybrush bumps into a lot more walls and obstacles than he would if I was just using the arrow keys. I guess a keys/mouse hybrid would also be beneficial, in that you could use the arrow keys to walk and the mouse to target and click the hotspots (kind of like EMI). Using the mouse for both walking and clicking means ultimately having to cover more screen real-estate with your mouse to perform every action in the game.

I'm certainly enjoying the game, and I'm sure I'll get used to the control system, though I think with adventures the storyline and memorability of the game are the long-term prevailing factors. Everything else is eye-candy. :) It's a good thing that TOMI seems strong in all of those departments, and I hope this title does well for TellTale!
You CAN! Thats how I played it. You can either use WASD or Arrow Keys to move with holding shift to run while using the mouse for the pointer.

MusicallyInspired

#45 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:04 pm

The WASD/Arrow keys are what you're supposed to use. They only added the mouse drag thing because fans were screaming for an interface where you could use just the mouse. So they added it just to please them. Don't use the mouse for walking.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#46 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Mouse Walking = Bad

Moon Walking = Good

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#47 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:23 pm

Ah, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks, I'll try it next time I play!

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#48 Post by Klytos » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:36 pm

Agree with AGD2. I didn't realise that about the WASD either. Coolness.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#49 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:42 pm

I'm sure when you first start playing it there's a pop up window that tells you the controls.

Also TAB = Inventory and E (inside inventory) = Examine.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#50 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:13 pm

ya I read the wasd in the opening pop up as well, you can use the numpad too if you have one/feel like it. if I'm just wandering around I use the mouse to walk, it's nice to have both.