Who Painted the Sierra Boxes' Cover Art?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Who Painted the Sierra Boxes' Cover Art?

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 am

As in all of them. The LucasArts fans are getting super high resolution images of LA games that they can print out as posters and a lot of the material was given by the original artists themselves! I wonder if the same thing can't be possible for King's Quest and the other Sierra games. Think of the SQ3 box as a full-sized poster! All of my Sierra games were acquired without boxes (bargain jewel case versions or acquired in a collection) and consequently I don't have many. Was it one person who did them all or a few people? It might be worth it to contact this/these person/people and see if they still have the artwork somewhere.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

Re: Who Painted the Sierra Boxes' Cover Art?

#2 Post by Klytos » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:23 am

I know the Camelot box art was done by Cristy Marx' husband, Peter Ledger.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by pbpb33 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:37 pm

I don't know the cover artists, but I remember reading that a lot of the original game art was lost during the whole closing down of the Yosemite location. On one of the message boards at the time I remember reading that people were grabbing stuff left and right, and that during the early Sierra years a lot of the art hadn't been archived very well. Maybe cover art is a different story, though. I would post a question on Ken Williams' site, and see if he is still in contact with the creative directors like Bill Davis. Who knows if the cover art was handled by a separate department like marketing, though. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the artists themselves don't even know what happened to a lot of their own work. I've seen watercolor paintings (used for screen backgrounds in various games... not cover art) pop up on Ebay over the years. How did these people get this stuff?? It would be kind of annoying to think that one or two guys is hoarding 90% of this stuff instead of sharing at least high res scans (of things like the cover art) with the rest of us.

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by avoozl snot » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:14 am

i would have looted the crap out of that place as well.

i have the feeling a lot of the people grabbed it thinking the games and copyrighted characters/images would be abandoned and eventually enter the public domain, and realized there was no such luck (for many many years to come). producing bootleg posters/wall art is not feasible, as it could only really be sold online (where else, outside fenway park?) and the makers would be nabbed very quickly.

and some of it's undoubtedly been lost, destroyed, or forgotten.

high res pictures would be cool but they're probably way in the back of people's minds if they've been at other jobs and companies all this time. and everyone's afraid of getting sued in a situation like that.