DS Homebrew UHS Reader?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

DS Homebrew UHS Reader?

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:39 am

Something I just realized. It would be very nice and handy if there were a Nintendo DS homebrew application that reads UHS files (Universal Hint System). Does anybody know of one that may be in existence? If not, does anybody know where to find any good information about the UHS file format? Perhaps I can try my hand at programming my own....

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: DS Homebrew UHS Reader?

#2 Post by DrJones » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:24 pm

I don't remember seeing any tool that did this on the two sites that host homebrew tools for the DS I found. What I did see was a discussion about the benefits of including support for that format in ScummVm, which went to nowhere because that wasn't the focus of the emulator and because they thought the creators of UHS could not like it.

I hadn't heard of UHS up to that point, so I can't give more info about the format.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: DS Homebrew UHS Reader?

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:51 am

Yeah, there's something strange about the UHS format. Like it's patented or something. Seems an awful long length to go to for a hint system. If I remember correctly the DOS and Windows programs that read UHS files are only demos and will only show a certain amount of hints per file before you have to pay for the whole program! Luckily the website is free. But still, I'd rather have it right there on my DS on the go.....ah well.