News Item: Geocities is Going Away Later this Year

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

thehawk
Peasant Status

News Item: Geocities is Going Away Later this Year

#1 Post by thehawk » Fri May 01, 2009 11:28 pm

As you may or may not have heard, Geocities is going away 'later this year' (http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/geocit ... es-05.html). This is significant because there are a -lot- of good sites dedcated to older games on Geocities that will just disappear, like what happened last year when AOL closed its Hometown.

I bring this up because I have a -ton- (almost literally) of web space that I would be more than happy to give some of these sites a new home. If you or someone you know has a site (or know a site that the owner has long since disappeared and you deem it to be an important contribution to the community) has a site that needs the space, please feel free to contact me either by PM here or by EM and I will see what I can do.

It really irks me when I go looking for a resource and it has suffered a spontaneous massive existance failure. Reading thru some posts today, someone mentioned the site "A Hero's Quest for Glory", which has been on Geocities for who knows how long, and it reminded me that they are closing. So anyway..

---
-thehawk
thehawk5150 at gmail dot com

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: News Item: Geocities is Going Away Later this Year

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Sat May 02, 2009 7:57 am

Crazy! My first website was with Geocities about 12-13 years ago!

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Sat May 02, 2009 9:12 am

LOL! That reminded me of my first site as well! Also started it about 12 years ago. I see I last updated (and last visited) it in 1998. :lol

Looks stupid now! :lol Back then it wasn't as easy to create GIF animations as it is now. :) Was quite a skill! (ok, very feeble attempt at making excuses for the bad animations. :( )

http://www.geocities.com/gronagor

(I have no idea how to access that site of mine anymore, and I just want it to go away! So... one good thing from Geocities closing)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun May 03, 2009 3:43 am

Wow. This is truly the end of an era.

2dgamers
Peasant Status

#5 Post by 2dgamers » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:09 am

My first website I ever made was on GeoCities... so glad those days are gone. :)