Prepare...

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: Prepare...

#101 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:25 am

MusicallyInspired wrote: Here's another hint: This game was actually announced a certain amount of time ago (not by me, and not by AGDI just in case people are thinking in that direction). People seem to have forgotten about it, though.
it's a remake of a remake! as far fetched as that seems.

haradan
Knight Status

#102 Post by haradan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:14 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote: it's a remake of a remake! as far fetched as that seems.
Mmh? Care to elaborate?

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#103 Post by pbpb33 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:36 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote: Here's another hint: This game was actually announced a certain amount of time ago (not by me, and not by AGDI just in case people are thinking in that direction). People seem to have forgotten about it, though.
I wonder what he means by "game was actually announced". Is he saying that the fact that a game was being developed was announced? What kind of information was given about the game at the time? Did that previous announcement have more or less information than what we have been given in this thread? Was the title of the game announced? Is the person (or are the people) who made the announcement still involved in the project? Where did they make this announcement? In an empty room where no one could hear? :lol j/k Did anyone respond to the announcement? I don't necessarily expect answers, but those are things I'm wondering about. :p
Last edited by pbpb33 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#104 Post by DrJones » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:44 pm

I saw time ago in the AGS forums a game in production called Kinky Island, and I could perfectly imagine an 'X' at the end of the title. Supporting points: It wasn't announced by Musically Inspired, and has nothing to do with Infamous-adventures! Is there anything that contradicts my theory? :lol

haradan
Knight Status

#105 Post by haradan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:14 pm

DrJones wrote:I saw time ago in the AGS forums a game in production called Kinky Island, and I could perfectly imagine an 'X' at the end of the title. Supporting points: It wasn't announced by Musically Inspired, and has nothing to do with Infamous-adventures! Is there anything that contradicts my theory? :lol
That would depend. Is that game "related to an as yet unresolved, unfinished, well-known and engaging storyline"?

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#106 Post by pbpb33 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:22 pm

DrJones wrote:I saw time ago in the AGS forums a game in production called Kinky Island, and I could perfectly imagine an 'X' at the end of the title. Supporting points: It wasn't announced by Musically Inspired, and has nothing to do with Infamous-adventures! Is there anything that contradicts my theory? :lol
Haha, good find!! That's pretty funny. Here's a link to the demo for Kinky Island:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php?act ... ail&id=806

MI had said the game would be an adventure in the "classiest sense", and I don't know that a game with a title like "Kinky Island" and that invites players to "check out some boobies" is the very picture of class... hehehe... but maybe he was being sarcastic in his "classy" description. Whatever the mystery game turns out to be, I'm looking forward to playing it! And maybe I'll try this Kinky Island demo in the meantime. :p

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#107 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:54 pm

I totally just figured it out by rereading the thread. It's painfully obvious if you put it all together. Use only MI's posts and take note that the "Part deux" post isn't far off.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#108 Post by pbpb33 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:34 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I totally just figured it out by rereading the thread. It's painfully obvious if you put it all together. Use only MI's posts and take note that the "Part deux" post isn't far off.
Do you have inside info? Maybe it's the story of what happened between KQ3 and KQ4? Does anyone reading ever recall hearing about any titles like "King's Quest 3 1/2"? I think it could be some kind of spinoff, with perhaps one of the minor characters in a previous game now figuring prominently or having a main story revolve around them, as has been suggested. What was a minor subplot in the past will now be fleshed out into a whole game. Besides the mummy in KQ4, what other characters never really got proper explanation or resolution to their issues? When I think about it I focus on KQ games mostly, largely because MI said the first letter of the game's title is K. (though Kyrandia is a possibility, too)

Or maybe the game is set in an existing series's world, but the main playable character in the game is different than it was in previous games in that series. Kind of like how the KQ series gave different family members different turns at the helm, or like how the Kyrandia series let you play from different characters' perspectives. (Whatever you do, please don't give Cedric a starring role :lol ) Maybe this game will let you play from a well-known bad guy's (or villianess's?) point of view? I've suggested so many things I'm almost forgetting what has and hasn't been guessed. Sorry if I repeated something someone else has said.

Another thought... MI chose to use the word "engaging" when giving a carefully-worded hint describing the known storyline that is related to his mystery game. Maybe he just meant that the storyline holds one's interest... or perhaps he was throwing a pun into his clue, hinting that maybe the related storyline involves someone's "engagement" (i.e., pledge to marry)?
DrJones wrote:I saw time ago in the AGS forums a game in production called Kinky Island, and I could perfectly imagine an 'X' at the end of the title. Supporting points: It wasn't announced by Musically Inspired, and has nothing to do with Infamous-adventures! Is there anything that contradicts my theory?
Hey, didn't you say last summer that you thought you knew what the game was then? Or were you just joking? Btw, I tried out Kinky Island demo (am stuck trying to open the coconut to get to the, ahem, male "enhancement" drug ingredients)... and thought it had a certain charm to it. A lot of care was put into the game... and it wasn't unnecessarily crude or offensive, but definitely was sexually-explicit. I couldn't get the intro to run, though.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#109 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:16 pm

I'll throw in another hint: This storyline which is engaging, well-known, unfinished, and also not entirely the main focus of the game's main storyline, was also a source of great controversy when it first went public, and still is to this day among some people.

Not that this is will be a very helpful hint or mean anything unless you actually play the game, but there's also a cameo appearance from a character from the above storyline with a few dialogue lines. This is more or less something to look forward to after the game is released...

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#110 Post by pbpb33 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Hmmm... very interesting.

MI hasn't said (or has he?) if the engaging, well-known storyline (that is only somewhat related to his mystery game) is from a book, game or movie.

Well-known game storylines that caused a "great deal" of controversy: Phantasmagoria. (but it was more just one scene) Grand Theft Auto, Doom (it was more the general violence rather than the storylines). I don't really think LSL. (known more for wink, wink humor and titallation)

Movies with well-known and controversial storylines: Exorcist (based on book), Brokeback Mountain, JFK, Fahrenheit 9/11 (but I highly doubt the game will take on a political bent). Also, seems more likely to me that the game would be related to a storyline known for controversy resulting from particular theories, rather than graphic sex and violence.

As for books with well-known and controversial storylines: The Da Vinci Code. I could imagine that storyline inspiring a game. Maybe the last word in the title is crucifix or box. Maybe the first word of the title (has to start with a "K") is Knights (Knights of Templar, which were discussed in The Da Vinci Code). There are many other controversial books, but this one stands out to me for having an adventure game-friendly storyline. Heck, reading the book I kind of felt like I was playing an adventure game with lots of riddles and puzzles and near-death escapes.

hmmm... but do any of these qualify as "unfinished" storylines?

MusicallyInspired

#111 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat May 01, 2010 5:30 am

The controversy came about because many disagreed with the change of direction it took. Labeling it desecration (paraphrasing). But many loved it also. Hence the controversy.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#112 Post by pbpb33 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:55 am

I kind of hope you don't tell us for a long time still. Also, I like that you keep the hints very vague. It's fun to guess!

I'm pretty stumped at this point. The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is KQ:MOE (and, to a lesser extent, KQ7). Maybe it's Connor that will make a cameo? And, since MOE seemed to be such an unpopular game among KQ fans, maybe it will be an unflattering cameo.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#113 Post by Spikey » Sat May 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Regarding kq controversies:
KQ3 storyline: fans initially thought Graham and / or Valanice wouldn't be involved because nobody knew who Gwydion was.
KQ8 storyline: minimal involvement of the Graham and his family

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#114 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat May 01, 2010 6:13 pm

You're forgetting the KQ controversy closest to AGDI.

cyberdalekyeti
Royal Servant Status

#115 Post by cyberdalekyeti » Sun May 02, 2010 1:19 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:You're forgetting the KQ controversy closest to AGDI.
The only controversy game i could think of is Royal Quest: Retrieving Lost Shit. Here is an very old link to an article
http://www.justadventure.com/articles/R ... 1/RQ1.shtm

But the game is suppose to start with an K and ends with an X.
that game starts with an R and ends with a T.

John

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#116 Post by pbpb33 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:39 am

Royal Quest seems like a good guess, but MI also said it was going to be an adventure in the "classiest" sense. Seems like that sort of rules out spoofs, though it's just my impression.

Also, does "Quest for Glory Fan" have some behind-the-scenes info? From his/her posts it seems like he/she already knows, or maybe just believes he/she has it figured out? What I don't get is... if "Quest for Glory Fan" does know what this mystery project is, and if he/she is pointing people to some AGDI KQ-related controversy, then why did MI say earlier that the project was announced, but not by AGDI (unless it was Tierra)? This is really puzzling. Maybe when MI said that the project was announced, but not announced by AGDI, he could have meant that it was announced a long time ago when AGDI still went by the name Tierra? What would be the connection between ADGI and the semi-controversial storyline the mystery project is partly related to?

I haven't been around in the forums for very long, though I first visited the Tierra/AGDI website and played their games back in 2002. I don't ever recall reading about a KQ controversy involving AGDI. I'd be surprised to learn that there ever was much of a negative reaction to one of their remakes, given that, at least to me, the games were enormously enjoyable and very well-executed. Particularly with KQ2, the added story elements worked very well and added more drama to the adventure. Could that have been the controversy? Some grumpy purists were upset that AGDI vastly improved upon and "retold" rather than purely "recreate" a 20 year old game? I feel stumped. :eek
Last edited by pbpb33 on Sun May 02, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

haradan
Knight Status

#117 Post by haradan » Sun May 02, 2010 2:05 am

cyberdalekyeti wrote:Particularly with KQ2, the added story elements worked very well and added more drama to the adventure. I feel stumped. :eek
Well, to be honest, there WAS some discussion in other forums about the validity of adding new stuff, you know, without Roberta Williams actually writing the story changes. I highly doubt this could be considered a big controversy since the game was widely accepted, won a lot of AGS awards, etc. but not everyone was happy with the liberal approach that AGDI took.

Also, I doubt this is about Royal Quest, that game was abandoned a long time ago and I doubt AGDI has changed its mind about it, at least they had very strong arguments for not finishing that game.

But I'm also curious about Quest for Glory Fan. Indeed, he seems to know something that we don't. Or maybe he's just bluffing. ;)

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#118 Post by pbpb33 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:09 am

Well, to be honest, there WAS some discussion in other forums about the validity of adding new stuff, you know, without Roberta Williams actually writing the story changes. I highly doubt this could be considered a big controversy since the game was widely accepted, won a lot of AGS awards, etc. but not everyone was happy with the liberal approach that AGDI took.
Haradan, that's what I was wondering... I added something about that to my previous post seconds before seeing yours. If that is the controversy that MI is referring to, I wonder how it relates to this new game whose title begins with K and ends with X.

Can anyone think of names of any significant characters, objects or events in any of the KQ games that end in X?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#119 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:50 am

Just to clear things up, whatever this mystery game is, it wasn't ever announced or started by Tierra/AGDI. The only games we've started are King's Quest 1 & 2, Quest for Glory 2, Space Quest 2 (canceled), and Royal Quest (canceled). Sorry, MI, if this narrows down the guessing field. But I wanted to give a definitive statement on this.

Hmmm... but could it be a remake of Klax with adventure elements... hence the purported controversy. >D

MusicallyInspired

#120 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun May 02, 2010 5:03 am

AGD2 is correct. That's why I said it wasn't announced by AGDI. It was fun watching them try to rationalise it with my statements, though. ;)

And QFGF has no inside info, the twerp. :p
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Mon May 03, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#121 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:03 am

QFGFan doesn't have inside info, but the information needed is all in this thread. Good on ya, Rob.

Bt

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#122 Post by pbpb33 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:53 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Just to clear things up, whatever this mystery game is, it wasn't ever announced or started by Tierra/AGDI. The only games we've started are King's Quest 1 & 2, Quest for Glory 2, Space Quest 2 (canceled), and Royal Quest (canceled). Sorry, MI, if this narrows down the guessing field. But I wanted to give a definitive statement on this.

Hmmm... but could it be a remake of Klax with adventure elements... hence the purported controversy. >D
I just read this again, and find the wording to be a little curious. Though I didn't notice anything weird when I first read it, now I'm suspicious... Maybe the game wasn't "started" by AGDI, but will the mystery game be completed or released by AGDI? It seems odd to use the word "started" when you would expect to hear "worked on" or "completed" or "had any involvement with", etc. Hmmm. :p Could AGC2 be in cahoots with MI? :D For a while I had just assumed this was an Infamous Adventures project, since it appears that MI has worked with them in the past, and I never gave much thought to the possibility that AGDI could be involved. Or maybe that possibility has already been put out of the running in a previous post that I'm just forgetting?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#123 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Okay, okay, you've figured us out. Should have known the sleuthing skills of the adventure gaming community were on par with Sherlock Holmes's. AGDI is pleased to announce that it has taken over an Infamous Adventures title. It's going to be called Kazza'd Project X.

Actually, we haven't been allowed to work on any other games. Our agreement was first signed with Vivendi in 2003 and we were only given permission for the games we had already released or were already working on. Adding additional 3rd party games to the contract would have been possible at that point (and was offered to us) but we decided not to take that offer. So unfortunately, our contract excludes that possibility.

And just to disclose, MI has done some work for us, on an upcoming Himalaya game.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#124 Post by gamecreator » Mon May 03, 2010 3:37 pm

Cool. What kind of work? Did he compose some music?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#125 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon May 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:AGDI is pleased to announce that it has taken over an Infamous Adventures title.

And just to disclose, MI has done some work for us, on an upcoming Himalaya game.
I'm 90 percent sure these two statements are true. Especially since MI has done work for IA so it works either way. The only thing I can't figure out is the word ending in X. I figure it's some sort of synonym to remake. Bust out your thesauruses lads.