Packaged Adventure Games

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

crackerjack
Peasant Status

Packaged Adventure Games

#1 Post by crackerjack » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Alright, I've actually been on this forum for a few years now, (Same goes for Infamous Adventures) but sadly I forgot my username and password and had to start all over! >D

What I wanted to ask was if anyone knew how to compile games together into one collection on Windows ... (Much like they did with the Kings Quest Collection, Space Quest Collection, Police Quest Collection, etc) I would love to make some kind of window that I can open that would have all of my old Sierra games listed on it that I can just click on it and it runs the game. (Which might prove challenging to incorporate Dosbox)

First I have to say I am not completely useless with computers, but this kind of project certainly goes beyond my skills.

Does anyone know of a kind of tutorial that could walk me through this kind of procedure, or is this something I would have to learn in a College setting? I would love very much to have an Icon on my desktop that simply says 'Sierra' and contains all of my games in a straighforward well designed fashion.

Can something like this be done by someone with average computer skills, or am I simply dreaming to big?

Thanks for the help!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: Packaged Adventure Games

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:22 pm

There is actually a front end for DosBox that allows you to do just that, you add a game much like in ScummVM the configure the settings then each time you just click on the name of the game and away it runs.

I can't recall the exact name of it but I'm sure someone else will know.

crackerjack
Peasant Status

#3 Post by crackerjack » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:34 pm

I've actually heard of that method before, (Although I don't know how it works) but I can see a possible problem with that solution. Some of the games that I want to add don't use Dosbox, so I wouldn't be able to include these titles.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help folks!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:49 pm

There's a program called Quick Menu Builder. The free version misses some features, I believe, but it should work well enough for what you're looking for. The only other option is to program and menu yourself from scratch (C or C++ or whatever).

crackerjack
Peasant Status

#5 Post by crackerjack » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Hey ... that actually worked!

I downloaded Quick Menu Builder and got the Kings Quest VGA remakes to work!

Thanks for the help folks!