Besides KQ6, which do you consider the other greatest KQ?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Besides KQ6, which do you consider the other greatest KQ?

#1 Post by FatherGhostface » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:06 am

THAT IS HOWEVER-----If you consider KQ6 the best in the series. ;) KQ6 may not even register with you and you might find KQ5 or KQ3 to be better. IDK.

Everyone has their own opinion, I understand that. Personally, I just got the games working on my computer recently and I am no longer an ignorant 11 year old child who likes the purty pictures and graphics, I have stopped to recognize the sheer brilliance that is KQ6. The dialogue is so poetic and doesn't insult the intelligence of the player, as well as the story. It all just fits perfectly together. It is indeed an Epic Game!

But what KQ do you consider to follow close behind? For me personally, it's KQ4. The Perils of Rosella was like a fairy tale. No really I could literally see this is as an actual fairy tale on a book shelf. The story just feels so fairy-tale-ish, eh? Rosella in search for a magical fruit to save her father's life as well as Genesta's by getting back her talisman. Having to accomplish three tasks for a wicked witch, killing that witch with Cupid's bow and arrow. The unicorn, the evil forest, Pan and the flute, the Haunted House and playing the Organ *nerd seizure*. Loves it! Can't wait for the remake.

What's is your fave KQ?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re: Besides KQ6, which do you consider the other greatest KQ?

#2 Post by Gronagor » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:05 am

5 and 6, but with KQ2VGA up there.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:47 pm

KQ5.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#4 Post by Klytos » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:09 am

They're all crap.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#5 Post by gamecreator » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:58 pm

Gronagor wrote:5 and 6, but with KQ2VGA up there.
5 and 6 were probably the most fun.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:34 am

Klytos wrote:They're all crap.

haradan
Knight Status

#7 Post by haradan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:35 am

I'd say 5, but 4 also has a special place in my heart.

El Ravager
Knight Status

#8 Post by El Ravager » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:46 pm

Mask of Eternity.

Just kidding.

Eh, probably 5, though its a close match between 5 and 7...

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by rugged » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:33 pm

kq5 had too many dead ends for my liking. Kq3 for me

SirHandsome
Peasant Status

#10 Post by SirHandsome » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:54 pm

I do think 6 is the best, but after 6 I enjoyed 3 the most probably. I also enjoyed 5, although it took me years to get into and finally complete. 3 and 6 were the most "painless" overall

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#11 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:59 am

I'll have to say KQ5 as it was my first KQ but 6 is my fave.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#12 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:34 am

What's wrong with 7? I haven't played it much but I like that it looks like an animated fairy tale movie.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#13 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:11 am

seraphimdreamer777 wrote:What's wrong with 7? I haven't played it much but I like that it looks like an animated fairy tale movie.
It's good if not great but totally different to the other KQs IMO, seems a bit dumbed down aswell with the wand icon that you can just click on everything to do all actions. It also lacked the drama/epic storyline of the others I feel, as you say it was more like a fairytale than an adventure game.

MusicallyInspired

#14 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Exactly why I don't like KQ7. It's not engaging.

Broomie
The Enigma

#15 Post by Broomie » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:17 pm

The whole chapter select at the start was a bit stupid as well. Why would you want to start the last chapter before you have even played the game? If you want to carry on where you left off, that's what the save feature is for. I wouldn't want to wait for the last episode of Tales of Monkey Island to come out and play that before the previous episodes. It'll like intentionally tuning into the mid-season of Lost and trying to make sense of everything within that episode when you damn well know that's impossible.

I'm going to go with King's Quest 5. I liked the overall story and the adventure itself but it's mainly because of the music. I'd have to say it's one of the finest soundtracks I've ever heard in a game.

MusicallyInspired

#16 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:15 pm

Mark Seibert and Ken Allen ftw. ;)

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#17 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:33 am

The whole chapter select at the start was a bit stupid as well. Why would you want to start the last chapter before you have even played the game? If you want to carry on where you left off, that's what the save feature is for. I wouldn't want to wait for the last episode of Tales of Monkey Island to come out and play that before the previous episodes. It'll like intentionally tuning into the mid-season of Lost and trying to make sense of everything within that episode when you damn well know that's impossible.
Well what about game collections such as KQ collection or playing a game such as Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 2 or Legacy of Kain Blood Omen 2 without playing the previous games. If you use common sense you will play it in order. Such as starting to watch Lost from season one or in my case Desperate Housewives from season one. So you know what it is about in the first place without having to figure it out the hard way.

But then again T.V. is a bad analogy how bout Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter start from the first movie by buying it when it comes out or just buy the collection but for gods sake don't start with the last movie and think it will explain the first movies. I love the old Star wars movies but that's another thing they started with episode 4 and ended episode 6 without thinking how they were going to implement 1,2 and 3 which were awful in comparison to 4,5 and 6 and I heard there were more episodes according to the book series like a 7,8 and 9 god help us if they try to make movies of those cause they will probably make the series a bigger joke than 1,2 and 3 did they should have just stuck with 4,5 and 6 to begin with cause they were awesome.

Broomie
The Enigma

#18 Post by Broomie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:03 pm

seraphimdreamer777 wrote:
Well what about game collections such as KQ collection or playing a game such as Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 2 or Legacy of Kain Blood Omen 2 without playing the previous games. If you use common sense you will play it in order. Such as starting to watch Lost from season one or in my case Desperate Housewives from season one. So you know what it is about in the first place without having to figure it out the hard way.
You just exemplified what I said in the first place. Of course it is common sense to play something in order, which is why I made the example of someone intentionally tuning into an episode of Lost and trying to figure out what is going on without watching the prior episodes (although thinking about it, even if you do watch it in order you'll be thinking the same thing) Sequels are different because they're different stories and not necessarily a continuation. You could easily play Space Quest 4 before the prequels and have an idea what is going on. Sure, you might want to know the back story and how exactly you came to crossing Sludge Vohaul's path in detail but you'll know what to do in the game itself. If you play King's Quest 7 and start the 5th chapter you'll have no real clue what to do because you'll have made discoveries and interactions in the previous chapters that are crucial to carry on the game. You wouldn't have a game like Space Quest 3 feature a half puzzle that'd need to be completed in Space Quest 4. The point is that sequels you know what you're doing from start to finish without needing any real reference from the previous games, maybe in a rare case but not always whereas King's Quest 7 if you start a later chapter without playing the first few you'll be thrown into the middle of the game and have no idea what exactly is going on. It's like loading someone else's save from a game you've never played before and expect to know what to do. Why would anyone do that?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#19 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:13 pm

I think having a chapter select in a game where you can't manually save your game does make sense. It allows you easier access to various parts of the game without forcing you to start over each time because the autosave that was generated the last time was just after the part you wanted to check out.

Broomie
The Enigma

#20 Post by Broomie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Although contrived the way you do save your game, which is by quitting it still saves your point which you can restore to from the main menu. (just checked it now) Besides, you needn't save often as whenever you die you're given the option to try again and there are no dead ends. So having to use the chapter select to carry on from where you left off is quite absurd when the save feature is there. So really, I can't think of any real use of it apart from the obvious fact of skipping chapters to play whatever one you want but that'd only be best if you've played it before. It'd ruin the game otherwise and be difficult for the player figuring out what has already happened. On a DVD it may make sense but you can choose your chapter and fast forward to whatever point you want. Having to get to a point you want by resolving puzzles in a game would be a nightmare.

adeyke

#21 Post by adeyke » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:45 pm

The chapter selection might not be useful for most people, but those can then just ignore it. For people who do want to use the feature, it's nice that it's there. For those who don't want to use it, all it means is a single extra click.

I think KQ7 has plenty of legitimate problems, so there's no need to include that one.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#22 Post by pbpb33 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:40 pm

I thought 4 (Perils of Rosella) was one of the best. Playing the game I felt like I was exploring a living world much more than I did when I played the later games with the (albeit beautiful) handpainted backgrounds.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#23 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:15 am

I liked 5 but I usually have just one save file so I ended up restarting and sticking pretty close to a walkthrough after I dead ended myself a few times and had to restart. No other problems though. Was never a big fan of any of the KQ games though, More of a QFG SQ kind of guy.