The sound in QFG quit working on my computer

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

The sound in QFG quit working on my computer

#1 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:08 am

I had been playing Quest for Glory on my computer and the sound was working but now it's not. I accidentally came across a program called weatherbug that my friend said was bad news. Because it messes up computers. Could it be that causing the sound not to work. Also my mouse has been messed up since then too.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: The sound in QFG quit working on my computer

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:48 pm

buy a mac.

ok I'll actually help this time, download AVG 6.0 and run the test and if that doesn't work see if there's anything funny in the add/remove programs section of your control panel. if problems persist delete any remnants of this weatherbug program or any other files you deem might be "malicious" if all else fails back up things you like and reformat.

UnknownHero
Peasant Status

#3 Post by UnknownHero » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:53 pm

Macs are no longer virus exempt as they have taken up a larger market share since the late 90's and therefore there are virus coders making their stuff specifically to target mac computers.... it's all over the news.... google it.
Unfortunately depending on the virus.. some are super hard to remove because there is a space in your PC that are easy to hide viruses... there are processes running in memory that do not show in task manager and one spyware may find what's hidden while another may not as well as one anti-virus may and another not. SO... my advise is to have your operating system and programs on one drive and all your content, media, records, etc on other drives. Install your OS and all programs, codecs, packages, etc from a fresh install while disconnected from internet, activate everything... then BACK UP the entire drive. Burn some anti-virus boot DVD's or CD's or pen drives. ANd when you computer bites the dust.... just use Acronis or which ever program is top of the line at the time and transfer the old image back on that drive to have a fresh start all over again (very long winded.. lol). ANyhow... people tend to pile on new apps all the time... this is a no no for your main system if you can afford a couple... keep your main system relatively clean and make your spare the program whore... because as you expose your spare computer to all different programmer's projects and different download distributors you will contract a STD (software transmitted disease)... it's only a matter of time... IMO 64 bit OS's seem pretty resilient but that will change as technology advances... to remove the nasty's in your PC... well ... try every major anti-spyware and anti-virus you can.. if that doesn't work and if you can't find a expert hacker/coder.... well then you'll have to just put up with it and wait or start over... sometimes there's nothing we can do.. and the damage could be irreversible at the time. ANyway... I hope this helps you... if you have a modern system and are using windows I found that Dosbox works the best with 90% less crashes then VDMsound. GOOD luck.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#4 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:15 pm

That post was identical to my post but like a hundred times longer lol.

In other News even if Macs are no longer 100% safe from viruses I've never gotten one and no one I know has.

Seraphim have you been playing it straight off the desktop in compatibility mode or using emulation software?

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#5 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:20 pm

I think strait off the computer. But the sound was working for a while till I came across weather bug I think.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:37 am

This happened to me too. I should probably ask which game you're playing because the bug could be the same one I encountered (in SoD) or it could be a new one all together. What I recommend regardless of the game (unless it's IIVGA then something is messed up) is to take every file associated with the game and keep them in one folder. Then download dosbox and whenever you want to play the game copy the folder and paste it on to the dosbox EXE and then just type "Sierra.exe" should work fine and as long you kep all the files together your saves should be there too. Yes this does require a restart of the game but it's a guarantee against pesky timer errors and Error 52.

I forgot to mention to get all the "new Rising sun" patches for the game before pasting it on the exe. Download the patch and paste it into the folder as well. No matter what the game is, if it's a Sierra game it should work now (Provided it's Pre SVGA)