Space Quest Remake and Scott Murphy?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

Space Quest Remake and Scott Murphy?

#1 Post by pbpb33 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:30 pm

The upcoming Space Quest II remake looks amazing!! Have the designers heard anything from original Space Quest designer Scott Murphy?

Reading a few of Murphy's infrequent online interviews over the years (particularly this embarrassing episode - http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/i ... views/234/ - which I believe even prompted a rebuttal from Ken Williams himself), it seems he is an odd character. He seems like the Debra Winger of adventure gaming; he seems to have a problem with a lot of people he worked with... as if everyone but him was horrible and hard to work with, etc. With each time he badmouths another designer or coworker, he loses credibility in my mind and it makes me wonder why he had so many problems with so many people, and whether the problem wasn't him. Still, I wonder what his reaction would be to the new remake. Hopefully, in the future when discussing his work he will take a lesson from Al Lowe, Josh Mandel and Jane Jensen, and show some class and professionalism instead of bitter, profanity-laced diatribes badmouthing other designers.
Last edited by pbpb33 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Broomie
The Enigma

Re: Space Quest Remake and Scott Murphy?

#2 Post by Broomie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:04 am

Thanks! No we haven't heard anything from Scott Murphy as far as I'm aware. Josh Mandel knows about it though and he is pretty damned legendary.

It would be great to hear from the 'Two Guys' about the project, though. Can't be too sure what they'd think but I'm sure they'd appreciate what we're doing.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Scott Murphy is awesome.

He had a rough time just after Chainsaw Monday apparently. In that light it's understandable that he's bitter. You could say that he's not being as professional as the others but you could also say he's more honest than the others as well, which actually makes him more admirable in my eyes.

But that's just me.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#4 Post by Klytos » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:07 pm

I don't consider that interview embarrassing at all. I think it delivers a great insight into Scott's mind and worldview. Cris did an amazing job in that interview and it's the most "real" interview I've seen in this community.