Running KQ8 MOE in XP

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

Running KQ8 MOE in XP

#1 Post by Spikey » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:40 pm

So, running KQ8 in XP.... I don't recall having had any trouble running it in the past, but now...

...I installed it, updated to 1.*3, launch....and all I get is a tiny part of the upper left corner part of the intro video, and when I press enter or wait till it's over, I just get a standard windows error that something went wrong and that the program has to be closed.

Compatibility modes won't change the problem at all. It doesn't look very hopeful, and can't find anything like this on the web. The Sierra Help pages are of no use with this problem.

Anyone have any ideas / the same problem?

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

Re: Running KQ8 MOE in XP

#2 Post by Spikey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:08 pm

If anyone's interested for yet ANOTHER possible XP solution and a graphics card that is bitching out on you old games...

I found a solution after quite a few hours of looking for it by trial and error (read frustration). There were not many suggestions to go on on the Sierra Help + forums, so I eventually turned to the ingame graphics menu. At some point, I wanted to set the DirectDraw to Direct3D manually instead of ingame (cause it crashes on launch), but this wasn't really obvious to do, and I couldn't find anything on how to do it on the webs.

So...
By opening Option.cs with a text editor like notepad (duh), you can manually switch from DirectDraw to Direct3D by changing the line
'assignGModeName Software'
to
'assignGModeName D3D-display'

I found it out by installing the game on a comp where it works fine, and changing the graphic options ingame.

The intromovie as well as the game seem to work fine now at first glance, though I still have to play through it of course.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: Running KQ8 MOE in XP

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:36 pm

God, I remember back in the day changing the autoexec.bat file of my dad's PC to free up enough of the inital 640k RAM just to get games like LSL6 and KQ6 DOS versions to run lol!

I really think if it wasnt for those games I wouldnt know as much about computers as I do now lol!