Which KQ has the most EPIC cover art???

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Which KQ has the most EPIC cover art???

#1 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:38 pm

For me...KQ4 has the most epic, coolest, eriest, scariest, fantastic cover art ever!!!

http://www.mobygames.com/game/kings-que ... rId,11123/

http://www.mobygames.com/game/kings-que ... rId,11124/

I mean...just LOOK at that! Rosella is the white gown with the cape, the frantic unicorn, the castle and mountains in the background and of course Lolottes Goons with those pale faces and dark eyes...loves it. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who loves because most people I talk to about it think it's nothing special, but to each his or her own I suppose. I love the back cover art too, it looks even more eerie. :D

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: Which KQ has the most EPIC cover art???

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:46 pm

It does look great, I always like the KQ5 front cover, probably because it was the first KQ I played.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:46 am

Hmmm, epic? That's a tough one. It all depends on how you define epic. Whether it has the most action going on or whether it represents something that makes you immediately believe that the game is truly epic. Certainly the KQ4 cover is a great candidate for the former (as is KQ7's, actually). KQ2, KQ5, and even MOE could qualify for the latter.

I'm not sure which I'd choose, honestly. Maybe KQ5.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 am

I think KQ4 and KQ3 are pretty great.

Bt

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by pbpb33 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:45 am

Definitely KQ4! That era had the best box art. By the way, anyone ever see the alternate (and, I guess, rejected) box art for KQ4? I can't remember exactly what it showed, but it was a bit sexier (showed more cleavage, I believe, of either Rosella or one of the faeries) and it was even better than the one they ended up going with. If anyone can find a copy, please post here.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#6 Post by FatherGhostface » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:15 pm

You mean THIS? Sorry but I could only find a SMALL version of it, I've been looking for a bigger one for some time now, and it looks almost as epic as the other one. Kind of scary too cause it looks like Lolotte is practically strangling Genesta...O.o

http://img122.imageshack.us/i/gamebox2.jpg/

Broomie
The Enigma

#7 Post by Broomie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:56 pm

What about the recent King's Quest Collection cover art?

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by pbpb33 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:16 am

Wow, you're good! That's definitely the one I was thinking of. I can't even remember where I had seen it... it must have been YEARS ago. Kind of funny that the only thing I remembered was the prominent display of one of the character's, erm, assets. :o (The artist was clever to make the focal point the breasts/amulet... the action seems to be centralized at that point) Do you know what that art was used for? The other, more common KQ4 cover art definitely conveys more of a feel of adventure/danger (and, of course, does away with the sexy aspect), but I feel like the one with Lolotte and Genesta is just a bit more dramatic and striking. I love them both.

FatherGhostface wrote:You mean THIS? Sorry but I could only find a SMALL version of it, I've been looking for a bigger one for some time now, and it looks almost as epic as the other one. Kind of scary too cause it looks like Lolotte is practically strangling Genesta...O.o

http://img122.imageshack.us/i/gamebox2.jpg/
Last edited by pbpb33 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by pbpb33 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:19 am

That's a beautiful cover, but the design with the bad guy in back looming over the hero in that way has been done so many times before... to me there's nothing distinctly "King's Quest" about the art.
Broomie wrote:What about the recent King's Quest Collection cover art?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#10 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:49 pm

pbpb33 wrote:That's a beautiful cover, but the design with the bad guy in back looming over the hero in that way has been done so many times before... to me there's nothing distinctly "King's Quest" about the art.
True, but since Sierra probably started that whole trend its kind of fitting :)

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#11 Post by Spikey » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:05 pm

pbpb33 wrote:That's a beautiful cover, but the design with the bad guy in back looming over the hero in that way has been done so many times before... to me there's nothing distinctly "King's Quest" about the art.
I agree, and the fighting sequence in the orb doesn't represent the games at all. If you wouldn't know any better, it would look like you'd be fighting dragons all the time.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#12 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:54 pm

Maybe it (alt KQ4 cover) was rejected because it didn't have a member of the royal family on the cover. If you notice, every game cover art has at least one member of the royal family on it. And I think it's usually the hero you play. I know there's an alternate KQVII cover but was that rejected or was it simply an older box art?

Incidentally, now that I think of it, I don't think the old KQ4 art was rejected but was only used on certain versions of the game.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:20 am

pbpb33 wrote:the design with the bad guy in back looming over the hero in that way has been done so many times before... to me there's nothing distinctly "King's Quest" about the art.
Refer to Kings Quest III