You all are on TVTropes...

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

You all are on TVTropes...

#1 Post by Brainiac » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:16 pm

..but you might be annoyed by it. Fair warning.

Tierra, aka AGDI, aka Himalaya Studios (a mountain range higher than Sierra), who made a few remakes of classic adventure games and then started to claim they "singlehandedly revived the adventure gaming genre" and how "everything they touch turns to gold" (conveniently overlooking the several projects they abandoned). Their original game was widely derided for its ripoff plot, nonsensical puzzles, and juvenile humor (not to mention the author insisting on becoming the main voice actor, which he was... not that good at). Cue angry rebuttals when this game was nominated for a "worst game of the year" award by the Adventure Game Studio community.

-- Taken from the Small Name, Big Ego page.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: You all are on TVTropes...

#2 Post by Erpy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Hatedom alone does not qualify a person for this trope; there must be substantial proof that he or she is boasting of great works, but actually has little to no relevant talent.
Enough said.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:53 pm

LOL! What a bitter bitter little man. LOL!

Broomie
The Enigma

#4 Post by Broomie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 pm

(conveniently overlooking the several projects they abandoned)
Several means... two? Unless this guy has inside information.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:29 pm

Judging from the matters he brings up, it looks like someone from the AGS forums is still a bit butthurt.

And yeah, those "several" means two; Royal Quest (which was abandoned in alpha stage when we figured wasn't worth the reaction we'd get from fans and perhaps Sierra itself) and SQ2. (which we pulled the plug on in the very early stages since the scripter who was in charge disappeared) Of course, we also finished several projects, which a lot of teams never do.

What he also conveniently forgets is that the AGS P3n1s-award is one of the awards not that many people bother to nominate stuff for, meaning it only takes 1 or 2 votes from people with feelings of resentment to push a game into being nominated for that one. And a fair part of the AGS community wasn't completely comfortable with the idea of turning an award that had always been used to praise projects that were So bad they were good being turned into a stick to beat people with, especially since some members admitted they nominated Al Emmo just to "knock them down a notch" and not because its quality was vastly below the average game made with AGS.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#6 Post by Spikey » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:50 pm

A little butthurt? Those are the ugliest words I have ever seen you utter on these boards (or EZ for that matter), and still so polite...
I would say more something like 'suffering from severe and extremely painful hemorrhoids', when someone calls you by your first name like that,'Tierra', or comparing the himalaya only as in being higher than the half dome, which is totally irrelevant, and pretending you abandoned a million projects, etc. I wonder how many Qfg2 remakes the author of that piece finished.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#7 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:06 am

Nuttin' but haters...

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:47 am

:rollin Ironically, you know you're "kind of a big deal" when someone takes the time out of their day to launch a mudslinging campaign against you.

What the author doesn't comprehend is that anyone foraying into such a field as commercial game design will receive more rejections, more knockbacks, more criticisms, and more harsh reactions from people who's opinions actually make a difference to your success or failure. If you can withstand that kind of heat, then anything less (such as this trope) is just another person's opinion and simply one of the many costs of doing business. It's all taken with a grain of salt.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Lady Pyro » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:48 am

Well, there's no such thing as bad publicity eh?
I like the bits in quotations, I'd like to see the source on those. Hey! You could use those quotes on the box art!

"Himalaya Studios...singlehandedly revived the adventure gaming genre. Everything they touch turns to gold."
- TV Tropes

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:22 am

"Everything they touch turns to gold."
This quote was part of AGD2's team profile on the Himalaya homepage. The quote above is an intentional misquote however. What it actually said was: "...could be seen as the King Midas of the fangame community. Whatever he touches gets completed." (no mention of gold) It was meant to highlight AGDI's track record of finishing what we start. (or rather...if we want to finish something, we will)
"...singlehandedly revived the adventure gaming genre."
This one was not a misquote, but rather an intentional quoting of outdated information.

When the new Himalaya website was launched, that quote appeared in the "about us"-section of the site. It was meant to point out the peak in sales for "Mask of Eternity" after KQ1VGA's initial launch. (and perhaps AGDI's role in helping sustain the fan community around the Sierra classics) I'm not a marketing guru, but my first reaction on reading that was also that it came across as a little bit presumptious. So in that regard, I believe that people who took issue with it had a point.

However, after some people complained about it, it was reworded to simply state "AGDI played a big role in reviving interest in adventure classics". Which brings me to the point of the matter.

The "singlehandedly" quote that people have used as ammunition for years has been on the website for less than 24 hours.

So while people who use that line don't make stuff up, it does show a tendency to blow things majorly out of proportion.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#11 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:32 am

Well, there's no such thing as bad publicity eh?
True that. I just wish they'd put a link back to the website! *Snap*

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#12 Post by Spikey » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:16 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote::rollin Ironically, you know you're "kind of a big deal" when someone takes the time out of their day to launch a mudslinging campaign against you.
While this is very true, pretending it would be better that agdi never made the remakes at all is another extreme. I suspect the guy or girl or whatever in question has been secretly playing all the agdi remakes in his / her / whatever basement for hour.

:)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:01 am

Actually, it's a good thing to get "bad" publicity. People love controversy. They're drawn to it like a magnet. When you get bad review articles you know you're going somewhere.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Brainiac » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:13 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Actually, it's a good thing to get "bad" publicity. People love controversy. They're drawn to it like a magnet. When you get bad review articles you know you're going somewhere.
Or you've just done something completely boneheaded; see Kanye West.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#15 Post by DrJones » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:16 pm

Ack, I clicked on TVTropes and got stuck there for hours clicking on various links. It's a trap! :p

adeyke

#16 Post by adeyke » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by Tye » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:41 pm

Gronagor wrote:LOL! What a bitter bitter little man. LOL!
Yea... I must agree completely.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#18 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Don't let people get y'all down AGDI is awesome so is Himalaya. I love the remakes even though only one I've completed is King's Quest 1 being my computer gets viruses often and has to be repaired. But hey I'd say as long as people like us like the games they are worth the time.