I've tried everything!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

OldSchoolDiva
Peasant Status

I've tried everything!

#1 Post by OldSchoolDiva » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:27 pm

Sorry to bring this topic up again, but I have researched it and tried everything I can....It's the STUPID Error 52 from Mad Monk's Tomb. I have DosBox. I've run it at 10000 CPU. I've turned off the voice and switched to PC-internal speaker. I've run moslo. I've even tried to run as many different computer programs at the same time just to slow it up and NOTHING works! When I try to get near the wizard to fight it I get the error, and for some reason it won't let me throw daggers at it so I can't kill it from afar. Any help? Is my computer just hopelessly fast?

Also, side note, but Moslo also has some problems where it will work half the time, but it always puts the emulation speed at 3.89% no matter what, and half the time it doesn't work because it says it "can't open the configuration file: resource.cfg"
but this is only sometimes. Other times it apparently can open the file.

GAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAaAAaaAA! >:

Any help would be ever so appreciated.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: I've tried everything!

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:18 pm

You don't need to use moslo with DOSBox. That's redundant. Try reducing the cycles to 3000 or so. If that doesn't work install NewRisingSun's script-based speed patches. I'm not sure off hand where to find it, though. Google.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:27 pm

The patches can be downloaded here. Get them, make certain the patchdir in resource.cfg says .\ instead of some folder and run the stuff in Dosbox. No need for Moslo...heck, it's useless in an emulator anyhow.

OldSchoolDiva
Peasant Status

#4 Post by OldSchoolDiva » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I have some patches in there already, but they may not be the right ones. I was pretty sure some of the things I was doing were overkill, but I just wanted all the bases covered. ;)

Oh, one last question-the patch site recommends restarting everything after installing the game. Is that necessary? Not like it's painful to replay this game, but it would be nice to move on.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 pm

Savegames tend to store certain settings including non-patched settings in a patched game...if they even work. Best thing to do is indeed start a new game rather than rely on savegames that might be "corrupted".

OldSchoolDiva
Peasant Status

#6 Post by OldSchoolDiva » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:20 pm

Many Thanks! :D

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:08 pm

I know from experience that you'll keep getting bugs if you don't start from scratch. These games tend to have thousands of variables and as such will continue to bug if some of them are wrong.

The quickest and easiest way that I do it is to Put everything QFGIV related in one folder with a simple name IE: C:/Games/QFG4 just so I know where everything is including patches and saves. Then I put Dosbox on my PC anywhere and Paste the entire folder onto dosbox, set my CPUcycles to whichever is optimal (I tend to play around 9000 because I'm impatient but slow it down for buggy areas). Then just type "Sierra" and the game should load up with all save functions and bugs in order.

If the dialogue boxes are cutting away instantly or aren't talking then you have to route the resource.cfg to the right part of the folder, I've only had to do that once before and it should be somewhere on these forums. This works for every VGA game I've tried so far, especially NRS patched games but if you're still having any problems or someone can correct me on something feel free.

To Reiterate:
1. Every game related file in the same folder
2. Search for Available patches either where erpy posted or through google for non QFG games
3. Copy the folder onto dosbox
4. Type "sierra" or whatever the games executable file is called
5. Do not play the games "half and half" use Dosbox consistently.

A bit of news: Geocities has recently closed permanently. This is where Belzorash held all of his Script fixing patches. Erpy seems to have found a compilation for QFG games and Gabriel Knight 2000 is still up for those games but there are a lot of patches now that I don't know where to find. Perhaps we can compile them ourselves and make our own hosted collection?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:33 pm

Actually sierrahelp.com is also hosting those patches, so people who are experiencing timer issues can still get them without having to rely on other people to send them over.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Oh excellent, I was beginning to freak out a bit. Thought I could never play SQ or PQ again with fixes.

I suppose this thread is as appropriate as any but I've also been having a bit of a unique problem. I don't have Adobe installed on my Windows partition and at the moment the internet doesn't work either due to the router not accepting two connections from one IP address. I still have Access in MacOSX however. When I try to replay Space Quest 1 I get to the copy protection room where usually I can look in the manual that comes with the rerelease but you guessed it. It's a PDF. Is there somewhere I could find the manuals online to just print out or any other way to get passed this? I know Al Lowe has posted the answers to his Copy protection on his own website but I doubt the two guys are doing anything similar.