Al Lowe Heart Attack Update

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

Al Lowe Heart Attack Update

#1 Post by pbpb33 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:00 am

As some of you (especially those who subscribe to his great CyberJoke3000 newsletter) know, legendary game designer Al Lowe suffered a heart attack Tuesday afternoon. (see below for his messages about the matter.) Of course, this man (creator of Leisure Suit Larry) needs no introduction in the gaming community, and from everything I have seen, he is always gracious when interacting with fans and always appears accessible and appreciative of LSL and Sierra fan efforts. I am sure his many fans around the world have him and his lovely family ( who we were given a glimpse of through his public YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/allowe#p/u ) in their prayers as Al Lowe continues to recuperate. Also, I strongly recommend you all check out Al's site at http://www.allowe.com and sign up for his weekly joke newsletter; it's a nice way to start the week... and he always includes a useful little tip or bit of information about computers or something else along with the jokes.

Recently, I was replaying Al Lowe's LSL7 and the too-often-overlooked and underrated LSL3. Playing these games again now years after I first played them as a child makes me appreciate them so much more. The games are truly inspired works... you can really sense how much fun the design team was having while creating these games. Unlike some other games, these games aged very well and are still as entertaining as ever.

Sent by Al Lowe on Oct 28 (through his CyberJoke3000 newsletter):
"I apologize for today's jokes being so late, but I have a good excuse: Tuesday afternoon I had a heart attack--but now, 24 hours later, I'm doing fine. Fortunately, I called 911 immediately, the paramedics got to my house within 5 minutes, got me to the hospital quickly, and within an hour, I was in the operating room having a stent installed. As soon as it was in, I felt better. By last night I felt pretty good, all things considered. I expect to go home tomorrow. My doctor says it's because I didn't wait to get help. So, take some friendly advice: if something "feels wrong," don't hesitate. Call for help!"

Sent by Al Lowe November 2:
"I want to thank each of you who wrote me last week. It was great to read so many unique, personal and heartfelt messages. You know, I never thought of getting anything out of CyberJoke 3000™, just a way to share my love of jokes with others. Yet, once again, you've proven the old adage that by giving, you get more in return.

My heart seems to be fine and I feel pretty good, all things considered. Each day I get stronger."

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Al Lowe Heart Attack Update

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:35 am

That's pretty heavy. I didn't know he had a heart attack. I'm glad to hear he's doing fine again.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:05 pm

He just played the last Larry game. :eek

Okay, I'm kidding. I'll have to tell a friend about that, though. Good to know he has recovered from the attack. Ugh. I'll pray for him tonight for a prompt recovery.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Glad he's ok, this guy's a legend!

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by pbpb33 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Al Lowe recently sent out the following positive update on his CyberJoke3000 e-mail list:

"Many of you have asked about my health. I don't want to bore you, but it's been two months since my heart attack and, simply, I feel better than ever. I'm eating less and exercising more, advice which I've heard for years but failed to heed. There's nothing like a quick $75,000 bill from a wide variety of doctors, hospitals, and various medical groups to focus your attention! (Thank goodness we have good health insurance. Pity those who don't.)"