Star Trek Online

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Star Trek Online

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:09 am

Before this post starts, I am a total Star Trek geek. So be prepared for much geek-ity.

My brother got a hold of one of the beta key giveaways and he's playing it now. I wasn't sure about playing any MMO's at all because my experience with LOTRO threw me off. I don't like automated fighting (should have researched KOTOR before I bought it on Steam). But STO doesn't have automated fighting and the space battles look cool as well. The whole thing really surprised me seeing as most Star Trek games have sucked for the longest time.

For those that don't know, Star Trek Online is a new MMO game coming out on Feb 2nd and takes place 30 years after the events of Star Trek Nemesis (the 10th Star Trek Movie). It takes place in the "prime" or "standard" universe rather than the alternate universe created by the newest Star Trek movie by J.J. Abrams, but the events in which --- STAR TREK MOVIE SPOILERS! --- [spoiler]Romulus is destroyed and Spock and Nero are sent back in time, or "disappeared" as STO looks at it[/spoiler] affect the outcome of the story in STO. Data is the new Captain of the Enterprise after Geordi LaForge and the Soong Foundation spent 4 years resuscitating Data's consciousness from B-4. That's pretty cool. The Klingon/Federation treaty has broken down (resulting in the choice to be either Federation or Klingon upon character creation).

You can choose to create your character from a number of races such as Benzite, Vulcan, Human, Bajorian, and tons of others or you can actually design your own race. You can also design your own uniform style and ship (to a certain extent). You can also choose from existing ship classes like the Galaxy class, Intrepid class, Defiant class, or even the good ol' Constitution class. It looks pretty good and I might just get it myself if the rumours are true and it comes out for the Xbox 360.

Tye
Royal Servant Status

Re: Star Trek Online

#2 Post by Tye » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:05 pm

Thing is... I can't afford Xbox live... or any MMO that you have to pay for. However, if I was able to pay for it, this would most certainly be at the top of my list! This game truly does look fantastic, and appears to be far more entertaining that SWG.