A great legacy for my brother.

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

A great legacy for my brother.

#1 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:30 am

As most y'all know my brother passed last year. He loved Star Trek so I thought as a way to honor my brother. If I ever get married I'm gonna name my first born son James Tiberius Kirk Williams. My second will be Jean Luc Picard Williams. Third Benjamin Sisko Williams. Fourth will be Johnathan Archer Williams. My first born daughter will be Katherine Janeway Williams. Well what do y'all guys think great idea huh? I hope I'll be blessed enough to use all the names.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: A great legacy for my brother.

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:02 am

Personally, I'd avoid something that heightens the risk of kids becoming tease bait. Names are something you're stuck with your entire life. It's kinda like a tatoo that seems like a really good idea when you get it and ends up being a bad idea when you're 55.

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Tye » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:00 pm

I'd have to side with Erpy on this... While I completely understand that you want to honor your brother, this may not be the best solution. In-fact, this may have the exact opposite effect... instead of your children loving Star-Trek as they grow up, there would be a large chance that they would hate it. Being teased because of your name happens, and children can be quite merciless when they do so. Why not simply raise your children and let them watch Star Trek as they grow up, if you do this and tell them about how your brother loved it, maybe they'll grow to appreciate it just as he did. That would be a great way of honoring him.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#4 Post by gamecreator » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:57 pm

James (Jim), Benjamin (Ben), Katherine (Kathy) and Johnathan (John) are common enough names. Use just them (skip the middle names) with the Williams last name and you'll be fine.

haradan
Knight Status

#5 Post by haradan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm with gamecreator in this one. Use just the first names, explain your children the origin, and you'll be honoring your brother without having them pay a high price for it.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#6 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm guessing the mother of said children will have an opinion on this. I wouldn't get my heart set on specific names, as mothers-to-be really enjoy dreaming up names (at least that is my experience). You could probably talk her into naming one of your kids after your brother directly, without any Star Trek references. I'd think that would be a better way of honoring him anyway.

Who are you named after?
My uncle.

vs

Who are you named after?
Captain Kirk.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#7 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:20 pm

I guess you guys are right then again in school they make fun of anything they can even peoples dead relatives. At least that was my case. Just wish I would have ignored it though but too late to go back. At least now I can just ignore the insults.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by pbpb33 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:23 pm

I think it could be a wonderful idea, especially if it's in the name of honoring your brother. However, I think the first and most important thing would be to consider... would giving a child an unusual or famous name harm them in any way? Obviously you want to think of the child first and consider that it's something they will have to live with. They are people and not pets that you can treat like play things and give cutesy names to in order to have something funny to talk about. You should be thinking of what's best for the kids, and not be self-indulgent when giving them their names. Well, I would get rid of the "Kirk" and the "Picard" in the first two names. If you just want to honor your brother, which is a laudable thing, it's not necessary to overdo it and make it so obvious that they were named after fictional tv characters. (update: didn't notice that other people had already suggested the same thing about the middle names) It'd be better if the child was asked in the future, "I like your unusual name... where did it come from?" and then they could answer with the truth (and always have a fun story to tell) or make something up if they were embarrassed. Then they'd have the choice. But with "Kirk" in there it's pretty obvious. You don't want to be like one of those hippie parents who named their children "peace and love" or "precious justice" or something self-indulgent like that which says more about the parents passions than anything else. Maybe you'll end up having all girls, though!

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#9 Post by eriqchang » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:22 am

I think you should just name your child Jeanway Luc Paris B'Lanna Tuvix the III from Planet Harry Kim-cheekotay and call it a day.

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by goatmeal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:01 am

eriqchang wrote:I think you should just name your child Jeanway Luc Paris B'Lanna Tuvix the III from Planet Harry Kim-cheekotay and call it a day.
No love for Kes in your grand nomenclature?

Brutal ! :| You truly are a heartless one, Mr. Chang. :rollin

< Granted, she was only on for a couple of seasons... >

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#11 Post by eriqchang » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:26 pm

And you should name your second child LwaxWorfa Kes "IcanSeeSevenTryingToEscapeAndIWillThrowVoyager10YearsCloserToHomeAndCallItAGiftWasOnlyOnForTwoSeasons" Jordata the 2nd.

Of course, we're just being silly. You should really name your child "Jordie" - or maybe, as some have proposed, something that pays tribute but isn't quite so silly sounding or obvious. A name IS like a tattoo. ;)

Whatever you do, don't forget to post twenty pictures of the lovely one surrounded by Star Trek memorabelia and costume in various character poses for all of us to oogle.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#12 Post by DrJones » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:40 pm

This is a man who enters the Social Security Administration office and greets the man at charge.

- Good morning. I want to change my name because I don't like it. It is Fred Shit.

The employee blinks twice upon hearing it and says:

- I see. That looks like a perfect valid reason for changing your name. Let's start the procedure... how would you like to be called from now on?

The man thinks about it for a few moments, and then happily answers:

- John Shit, of course. Just like my father!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:50 am

Actually my fiance and I talked this over a little while ago and both really like Gabriel as a boys name. She said she always liked it, there's Gabriel the arch-angel and it was her grandfather's middle name and such. I obviously just like Gabriel Knight. :lol

On a related note I met a guy a month or so ago whose name was Thaddius. I thought that was a strange one. The father on "The Venture Brothers" Is Dr. Thaddius "Rusty" Venture but that's the only other instance of it I've seen.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:01 pm

It's Thaddeus, QfGFan. There are quite a few real and fictional uses on that page.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:14 pm

There's a boss in World of Warcraft named Thaddius so I suppose either or COULD be correct but I'm sure your spelling is the intended one.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#16 Post by Spikey » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:28 am

I think you should not worry until the time comes, but hey.

I like special names, and would definately not stick with the relatively boring first names mentioned ealier. But I do think you should not be so extreme in this. Naming one of your children with a special Trek name is okay, but ALL of them seems a bit extreme. The connection to Star Trek should not be always and / or immediately obvious, if you know what I mean. People are naming their children Arwen these days, a name that didn't exist before Tolkien made it up. Guess what, since the movies, the percentage of people naming their daughter Arwen rose skyhigh.

But I think, for example, 'Sisko' sounds like a great name. Better than Bob Geldof's three daughters Fifi Trixibelle Geldof, Peaches Honeyblossom Michelle Charlotte Angel Vanessa Geldof and Little Pixie Geldof.