Playing through all 5 on a Mac now, any compatibility hints?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

rjsaid
Peasant Status

Playing through all 5 on a Mac now, any compatibility hints?

#1 Post by rjsaid » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:41 am

So, I'm not sure if this is appropriate to post on this forum, but I've got nowhere else to turn!

I haven't played a QFG game in at least 3 years, because I was actually waiting for the QFG2 remake's release. I blew through 1 in a few hours, then spent a few days on the 2VGA with all 3 classes, eventually moving on to 3 and 4 as a paladin.

Now I'm all done with 1-4 and remembering how much I actually loved QFG5, and trying desperately to get it to run on my MacBook. I have the original PC-CD but my Mac doesn't even recognize the disc! I just can't figure out how to run it! Normally I'm good with this -- I even got the full voices and everything on QFG4. Crossover is no help here though. And I'm all done with 4 and DYING to get to 5.

Does anyone have any ideas? The Internets tell me that there was a MAC version of dragonfire produced, but most places selling it just list it as PC/MAC. I would gladly pay for a copy I could run with my MAC.

ANY help would be appreciated.

haradan
Knight Status

Re: Playing through all 5 on a Mac now, any compatibility hints?

#2 Post by haradan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:28 pm

IIRC, Dragonfire was designed to work on both systems, and it seems it worked well in all Mac systems all the way to Tiger. If you have Leopard, tough luck.

Chief
Knight Status

#3 Post by Chief » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:57 pm

your best bet is probably to run it in a virtual machine or parallels.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by crayauchtin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:38 am

I have a Mac (with Snow Leopard no less!) and I've just discovered that Dosbox made a frontend for Macs -- I can't get the original QfG2 to run (because I'm an idiot technologically speaking, not because it doesn't work -- I'm sure there's a way!) but all of the original VGA games run.
As far as 5 goes? Your best bet is installing Windows and bootcamp or parallels. (And before you moan too much (believe me, I feel ya), I'll remind you there was a study published which showed Vista runs best on a Mac!)