Quest for Glory IV export file buggy

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

Quest for Glory IV export file buggy

#1 Post by Markus Ramikin » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:56 pm

When I try to import my Paladin-who-is-also-a-Wizard from IV to V, it's missing the Trigger spell. This is hugely annoying to me.

Apparently this is a known bug that is due to QFG IV dropping useless garbage into its export file, which a patched QFG 5 can sometimes decipher correctly, sometimes not. My case is one of "not".

With that, I'd like to ask if anyone has figured out the internal working of the QFG IV export file. I know some things (like how to change class), but still. I'm wondering if it's possible to manually fix this problem with a hex editor, unfortunately despite putting some effort into it, I've been unable to figure it out. But there are smarter folks than me out there, so I figure it won't hurt to ask.

And yes, I did try to export again, that didn't help.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

Re: Quest for Glory IV export file buggy

#2 Post by Markus Ramikin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:33 am

OK, I made progress, enough that I could make the file properly importable.

Though I couldn't write up a proper analysis of what offset stands for what exactly. QFG V rounding a lot of things up to rather high entry levels, especially the spells, means I can't see what my changes did exactly. :(