Barefoot bandit.

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

Barefoot bandit.

#1 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:23 am

This guy who had been stealing boats cars and planes just got arrested.
Here are peoples reactions.

A.Let him go free.
B.Give him the death penalty

Jesus Christ! The guy is a criminal not a bad enough one to put to death but still a criminal what is this world coming to when it's either death or no law at all?

Comments?
Last edited by seraphimdreamer777 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

Re: Barefoot bandit.

#2 Post by pbpb33 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:47 am

I don't believe there is a widespread sentiment wanting this guy to be put to death. In fact, in the coverage I've seen I haven't seen anyone suggest anything like that. Quite the opposite. From what I've read it seems like more people have reacted with amazement at his ability to go so long without being caught, grudging respect for his survival skills, and sadness over his difficult childhood. His age, family background and the fact that the crimes were non-violent probably have a lot to do with these reactions. Still, I think people want to see him punished. After he serves his time hopefully he will be able to live a happy and productive life.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#3 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:53 am

Sorry I got rid of the quote to make it less confusing. But I was quoting the people online that were commenting on that story.

But a lot of people at Yahoo were saying he should get the death penalty because of his cult popularity as well as his followers.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:43 am

Yeah but what people will say online under the cover of anonymity tends to be more extreme (to provoke strong reactions) or at least an strong exaggeration of their true beliefs. For instance, if I had read this and after just having my car stolen, then I may join the online rabble and write some scathing response about how societal scum should be eliminated rather then rehabilitated, but that doesn't mean I really want to see someone die over scraps of metal and wire.

But I don't know the full story here, this is the first mention I heard so I checked out what the CBC had to say about it and got a very short article about his arrest. It would seem the overwhelming response on the Canadian front is one of pity, and hope of rehabilitation for one so young.
Oh and jokes about his feet and shoes.

In summary, I wouldn't judge people based off the internet, nor would I search for people's true reactions there. If you are worried about others reactions, then just read what you can about the subject and discuss it among real people face to face, you're much more likely to get their true opinions.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:33 am

So what's this guy's name? Tommy Vercetti? Carl Johnson? Niko Bellic? >D

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#6 Post by DrJones » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:09 pm

What is his nationality? If he is british, he could become the next national hero.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#7 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:11 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:So what's this guy's name? Tommy Vercetti? Carl Johnson? Niko Bellic? >D
DrJones wrote:What is his nationality? If he is british, he could become the next national hero.
I believe American but his name is Colton Harris-Moore. Sorry to have left out this info. I was just ticked at the fact that people were being s brutal about this. But I guess LP said it best. I mean I'd probably be mad if the same thing happened to me that he did to all those people. I mean I know for a fact how it can be to have stuff stolen from me and it don't feel good.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by pbpb33 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:23 am

DrJones wrote:What is his nationality? If he is british, he could become the next national hero.
He is presented almost like a folk hero in some reports. Some of the people whose houses he robbed seemed giddy in interviews after the fact, as if they had been visited by the Easter Bunny or Elvis something. They were almost defending the guy and saying he never took more than he needed. One even seemed proud to show off a beverage carton that the bandit had supposedly drank from. Also, some news reports mentioned how he left cash at an animal shelter with a note signed as "Barefoot Bandit." It was becoming like, "They seek him here, they seek him there. Those Frenchies seek him everywhere. Is he in heaven? Or is he in hell? That damned elusive... Barefoot Bandit!" I bet the people whose cars and planes he stole and damaged weren't so admiring, though. I don't know, I think it's kind of impressive that he was able to fly the stolen planes without ever having flying lessons (I think I read he hadlearned with a computer flight simulator?). He flew a plane he stole from the midwest to The Bahamas. It's so outrageous.

I wonder who will play him in the inevitable movie about his life and adventures as a fugitive?
Last edited by pbpb33 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Lady Pyro » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:33 am

seraphimdreamer777 wrote: I believe American but his name is Colton Harris-Moore. ....

AGC2's comment was more of a joke then a shot at the original posts detailing of the case. Those names are all from the Grand Theft Auto series.