Hex Codes for Sierra and LucasArts games?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

Hex Codes for Sierra and LucasArts games?

#1 Post by pbpb33 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:32 am

I'm looking for codes that will let me get any inventory item or teleport to any "room" in a game. Does anyone know of a website with many of these codes in one place? I'm particularly interested in Sierra, LucasArts and other classic adventure games. I know codes exist for LSL2 and QFG2, but what about others?

Thanks for any help!! 8))

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

Re: Hex Codes for Sierra and LucasArts games?

#2 Post by Klytos » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:01 am

I'm not sure about hex codes, but there's in built debug modes in most early Sierra games that allow you to gain inventory, teleport etc.

The only one I can remember, and it could possibly work on other AGI games, is <ALT> <D> to enable debug mode, then "TP" and a room number to teleport instantly to a room. "Get Object" and object number to get inventory items and "Cash" which will give you money.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Hex Codes for Sierra and LucasArts games?

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:15 pm

Most AGI games can access debug mode by pressing ALT+D. But some don't. Space Quest 2, for instance, requires you to type "backstage" to access debug mode. Other games that don't work with ALT+D have other debug words. You'll know it works when the AGI version number pops up on the screen.

Also, for SCI0 games you can access debug mode by holding both SHIFT keys and pressing the "-" key on the numpad. A window will pop up showing the current position in the code that the game is running through. There are a whole bunch of shortcut keys. Specifically for teleporting, press "G" this access global variables (one of which holds the current room number). A text window will pop up and ask you which global variable to alter. It's a numeric value. Starting at 0 through to however many global variables the game has. It's impossible to know which global variable holds the current room number and every SCI game is different. The only way to find out is to go through them one by one. But the room number usually matches the picture resource number. So look through a game with SCI resource viewer and note the numbers of the rooms you want to teleport to. Remember that number and also the number of the room you teleport from. That way when you're looking through the global variables one by one (it shows it's current value before you alter it) you can more easily figure out which one it is if you know the current room number.

Hopefully that makes sense lol. It only works with SCI0 games, though. SCI1 games usually don't work. And SCI1.1 games have completely different builds for debug-enabled games. I have the SQ5 debug-mode game (somewhere) but SQ4's is EXTREMELY rare. But it's out there somewhere...