Sierra Launcher For QFG2 remake as well as other games

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

Sierra Launcher For QFG2 remake as well as other games

#1 Post by Billetwound » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:56 pm

So i got bored the other day and i was showing my girlfriend all the old games i used to play. And you know what happens you get sucked right back in to wanting to play the whole series again, then another series and so forth. Well i had put the newer King's Quest Collection on her Laptop and i was testing all the games and found out that King's Quest 7 didn't work because of vista. Took me a while to figure that out. But while tinkering with the files and random patches and stuff i found out that you can edit the SierraLauncher.ini file to change the paths to whatever you wanted.

So after making a couple variants of the Launcher with other Sierra Titles, I Decided I wanted to make a Quest For Glory Collection Launcher. But I wanted it to load the AGD Remake of Quest For Glory 2 as well as QFG5 Dragons Fire (Which don't use Dosbox). So I Made a Folder Called QFGC (as in Quest for Glory Collection). I Basically copied everything but the games from the Kings Quest Collection folder to it ( Which is the dosbox folder, SierraLauncher.exe , SierraLauncher.ini , Gameart.bmp , and the Sierra.ico) Then I Blew the dust of the copy of the Quest For Glory Anthology (HA not really i keep em in a cd book) and Copyed the games into that folder sorted accordingly ( QG1 , QG1NEW, QG2, QG3, QG4) Then i installed DragonsFire intothat directory (QG5). Then Redownloaded AGD's Remake of QG2 and installed it into that folder as well (QG2NEW) . Then i Proceeded to alter the SierraLauncher.INI file. This is really Straight Forward.

At the top of the Ini file I Changed the Name From Kings Quest Collection to Quest For Glory Collection. I didn't have to change the number of buttons cause now there are 7 games i'm setting up. So then The Ini is broken up into each of the different games with a number reflecting what button is pushed. So i Aimed this at the new locations.

I.E.

Game1Name=Quest For Glory Original
Game1Prog=dosbox
Game1Path=QG1
Game1Exe=sierra
Game1Cmd=

Thats basically the way the original files were made i just changed the targets of the files. So Buttons 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 were setup using this method. (Note Not all the Game#Exe= are gonna be sierra , they might be scidhuv, or whatever the game was, so just use the exe that loads the game in this spot. Also the Game#Path= has to be set to the right folder). Now on to adding in Dragons Fire and The AGD Quest For Glory 2 Remake

All I Had to do was remove the term "dosbox" from the lines Game#Prog= to get this to work. So instead of Loading Dosbox and making dosbox load the game it just points it straight to the Folder and the EXE and loads The Game. :)

I.E.

Game4Name=Quest For Glory 2 - VGA
Game4Prog=
Game4Path=QG2NEW
Game4Exe=qfg2vga
Game4Cmd=

Nothing really hard or special about it, But now i have my own put together Quest For Glory Collection With a nice loader app.... Right.... Nope. The Picture Beside the buttons still has the Kings Quest Collection Picture. Well Thats Easy, Create a BMP of Any Of the Quest for Glory Pictures you want and make it same size as the Gameart.BMP in the directory and it will replace it. And Since Your doing That You could also Replace The Icon for your shortcut :).

I Just thought this was fun to mess with and even though most likely other people have figured this out long before, i never saw anything posted on it so I figured I'd share. Like i was saying earlier though, I have used it to make a few Different Collections using all my other Sierra games.

Hope you all have fun with this :), and let me know what kind of collections you figure out to make.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

Re: Sierra Launcher For QFG2 remake as well as other games

#2 Post by pbpb33 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:49 am

Love this!! So awesome! Nice how you worked the AGDI poster in that graphic.

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Billetwound » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks, originally i just had the original Quest for Glory Anthology box picture for it. But i wanted to add the Dragon Fire image somewhere on it. Even tho i know alot of people do complain about the game I still liked it. Then i was paying attention to the fact that that they used the VGA's "So you want to be a Hero" 's box for the one section, I wanted to update the Trial by Fire to the Poster from AGD. At the Bottom i was gonna Leave it as what it originally said " Includes All 4 Hit Titles" and i was gonna add another box underneath it that said " And that other one" . But i'm not that good with making pictures. You can tell by the difference in all the metal outlines that are different shades and don't line up. :lol

This is the Gameart i'm using now, i made it a little bit cleaner so it doesn't look like i horribly pieced it together :P

But yeah i just wanted to show what the launcher could look like. I think its a nicely organized Front-end for the collection. I wanna work on some kind of New image for the Kings Quest Collection as well cause i replaced the 1st 3 games with the AGD and Infamous Adventure versions. And i'm patiently waiting to be able to replace Space Quest 2 as well in that collection. Another one i'm working on is like a Sierra Mystery Collection, Laura Bow 1 and 2, and Gabriel Knight 1, 2, and 3. But i don't have any good artwork for them yet.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by pbpb33 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:07 am

Billetwound wrote:Another one i'm working on is like a Sierra Mystery Collection, Laura Bow 1 and 2, and Gabriel Knight 1, 2, and 3. But i don't have any good artwork for them yet.
The mystery game launcher sounds like another one I'd also want to set up. Would you include the Shivers games in that group? Speaking of mysteries, I actually wish AGDI/Himalaya or IA would make a new mystery game in the future. The mystery genre is my favorite. Come to think of it, aren't the POS people coming out with a new mystery next?

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Billetwound » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Shivers would be a good one to put into the mystery collection. But alas i no longer have Shivers. I'm not even sure if it works on Vista.... Come to think of it, its a mystery whatever happened to my cd of that. I don't think i ever beat that game either. I liked the music of it tho. I think there was a Shivers 2 but i never owned it cause i never finished the 1st one.

But yeah adding Shivers 1 and 2 would make a nice 7 game Launcher. But i'm slacking in actually making the launchers because i keep installing a game, adding it into the launcher. Then instead of installing the next game i get sucked right back in. I'm in the middle of playing Colonel's Bequest right now. I know i'm gonna get made cause i never get 100% on that game, theres always 1 or 2 things i didn't do ( But i already know) and i like DANG IT. LOL.

So all I have on that launcher is Gabriel Knight: Sins Of The Fathers and Laura Bow : The Colonels Bequest. I'm Slacking LOL.

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#6 Post by eriqchang » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:59 am

omg this is so cool! I love. I love. (taking screen cap.) :P

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Billetwound » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:31 am

Thank you Eriq.

So i finally just got done running thru the whole collection. I wanted to make sure i got every point fully in every game, and for a 1st I wanted to get a Paladin on my own instead of just importing a character and switching the fighter to a paladin. So QG1 (VGA Version), all Fighter Skills maxed and 100% of points, QG2VGA All fighter skills maxed and for the 1st time I became a Paladin ( I normally always forget something like Omar's Purse) , but I got the 550 out of 550 points :) , as well as the special stuff all done. After that I Kinda Just rushed through 3 ( I like the game but sometimes it just drags, and i hate the fighting system. Its hard to work up everything like parry and dodge, and takes forever). But i did get every point. QG4 same kinda deal. 100% Puzzle Points but not max skills, just what i needed to get by with. I just Finished QFG5 like 10 minutes ago. The stupid game kept crashing everytime i would fight the dragon. He would shoot flame out and it would terminate the program. So i kept saving during the fight slowly working towards it. Ended up losing Toro and Gort during the fight. I had like 1,000 puzzle points and 43,000 some experience. Only thing on my to do list was to "ell Julanar about Andre", "Bribe Cerberus" (Cause i just fought him) , the Different Girls to marry ( It lists them like you can do them all HAHAH) as well as the "Offer to Sacrifice yourself" , "actually sacrifice yourself", "Gort lives thru fight", and "Toro Lives thru Fight" I just wish i knew how to fix that crash. Thats the only reason i lost the 2 of those during the fight. ... Hopefully i'll find a way to do that before i do a seperate Wizard, Thief, and Fighter trip through the games.

I Still Stick to my story Tho, Quest For Glory is the Best Series Ever. And i still love the Special note on the Install Disc of QG5. Cause you know not everyone actually looks at the files on a disc.

I also Found My Quest For Glory 5 Original Music Soundtrack & Interactive Sneak Preview Disc today. It was a little fun to run around Silmaria as Elsa and Magnum Opus. I think its funny they were gonna make Part 5 a Multiplayer game. :rollin

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#8 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 am

the disk on the bottom right is in my drive right now. I also got the soundtrack and funny enough used to listen to it while playing Final Fantasy games. I know Tom reads these sometimes I wonder what he'd think of that. What's on the sneak peak disk on the top right though? Is that the rare demo with the multiplayer function and none functional bows?

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Billetwound » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:53 pm

The Sneak peak is the Multiplayer where you can be the hero, elsa, or magnum, as well as the multiplayer.