ScummVM now supports SCI!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

ScummVM now supports SCI!

#1 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Not sure if this has been posted already but ScummVM now supports SCI games including Freddy Pharkas, KQ 1-6, SQ 1-5 and LSL 1-6 among others. This will be amazing to play on a TV with Wii! Can't wait for a PS3 port with PS Move support now that the PS3 has been hacked and homebrew is coming!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: ScummVM now supports SCI!

#2 Post by DrJones » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:30 pm

Those news are good to hear, because it would mean that they have now the superpower of fixing QFG3 and QFG4 without having to make remakes.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:35 pm

I haven't looked at the whole compatbility list but I'm sure it said QFG4 was completable!!

Lambonius
Knight Status

#4 Post by Lambonius » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:24 am

Actually, QFG4 is one of a few SCI games that DOESN'T work well. I can't account for the timing bugs, but the game is graphically very glitchy--the Sierra logo at the beginning is all miscolored, and the transparent shadows seem to come up as opaque cyan on my machine. Also, in all the point and click SCI games, right-clicking to cycle through the icons doesn't work. You can only cycle back and forth between the first two icons, LOOK and WALK, not the rest of them. Hopefully the official release will come out soon with full SCI support--right now it's only the beta builds that work.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:57 am

This actually makes running them on the mac a lot easier too just because of Scummvms front end interface. No more mount C: for me!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#6 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Lambonius wrote:Actually, QFG4 is one of a few SCI games that DOESN'T work well. I can't account for the timing bugs, but the game is graphically very glitchy--the Sierra logo at the beginning is all miscolored, and the transparent shadows seem to come up as opaque cyan on my machine. Also, in all the point and click SCI games, right-clicking to cycle through the icons doesn't work. You can only cycle back and forth between the first two icons, LOOK and WALK, not the rest of them. Hopefully the official release will come out soon with full SCI support--right now it's only the beta builds that work.
I've not tried it myself yet but did you try with the latest official release or the latest daily build?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:44 pm

SCI is still in testing phase. Only SCI0, SCI01, SCI1.0 and SCI1.1 are supported right now. SCI32 games (QFG4, PQ4, Torin's Passage, SQ6, KQ7, LSL7, etc) are automatically cut out from the engine build for now. It's not hard to re-enable them if you have the source, but it's still not going to work well. There's still a few games that haven't been tested/need more testing, but many games are now completable with few to no bugs. You need to download the daily snapshot.

One thing I don't like is that the engine automatically enables by default an undither feature for SCI0/SCI01 games which removes the checkerboard pixel colours and replaces them with the closest resembling single colour. It only works for backgrounds considering how they're drawn, but sometimes it ruins the look of a screen. Not to mention it's not as nostalgic. It's not hard to disable you just have to enter a command in the console (Ctrl+D then "undither 0") but you have to do it for every game you start and there's as yet no option in the GUI for it. I have the source code so I disable it by default.