Quest for Glory fan projects

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

Quest for Glory fan projects

#1 Post by Blake00 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:15 am

Hey everyone! After many years of forum absence I posted here and at IA a few months back as I was constructing a detailed Quest for Glory 4.5 walkthrough, map & fan page and thanks to both communities help I successfully finished it all! :)

Am back again as I'm guessing both communities house most of what's left of the AGS/QFG fan game community which can help me once again with my next project. I've been working on a quest for glory section on my website with information, pictures, videos, walkthroughs, maps, and downloads for each of the games as I play through them.

I've also been working on a large Quest for Glory section on my website devoted to all the successful (hence the QFG 4.5 page I made) and particularly the unsuccessful projects. I've noticed over the years as many of them have died and their websites have gone down resulting in all their great work disappearing never to be seen again by the fan community to inspire new projects. Despite the many closures I've been hunting down old previews, old site hostings before they moved, and even web-archive on the dead ones to find any pictures and information that I can save & create a tribute to each fallen game on my page.

This is my latest summary of the website list below.

http://blakessanctum.x10.mx/Games/QFGSeries/
(Note: Originally built in 2001 this website is still deliberately very late 90s early 2000s retro in design. So if you're not nostalgic for old retro websites with music, animating gifs & left click browsing then you probably won't like it)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QFG related game projects list (Updated 2/1/2017) :
- Hero-U (New series of games from QFG creators the Coles themselves)
- Quest for Glory IV 3D Project (my Hexen mod project)
- Quest for Glory 2 Remake
- Hero6
- Quest for Glory 4 1/2
- Quest for Infamy (New version of project)
- Mage's Initiation
- Heroine's Quest: The Herald Of Ragnarok (New version of project)
- Hero of Infamous Kingdoms
- Quest for Yrolg
- Betrayed Alliance
- Quest for Glory I Redux
- Quest for Glory ZZT
- Quest for 3D
- Quest for Glory I: Extended Edition
- Quest for Glory I 2.5D
- QFG6 Hero's Legend
- Grim Quest
- Heroism: The Art of De-Fence
- Quest for Infamy: So You Want to Be a Villain? (Old version of project)
- Heroine's Quest: The Legend of Fair Spring (Old version of project)
- Project Katrina
- Destiny The Lost Soul
- Hero of Odarin I: Nightfall (Previously Adventurer's Quest I: Flight of the Vampire)
- Struggle For Life & Honour
- Peril Quest
- Quest for Glory 3D (Previously Re-Quest For Glory)
- The Unknown Hero
- Glorious Quest
- Unknown QFG Project: By Dormant
- Legacy of Glory
- Unknown QFG Project: By Jimbeanus
- Conquests of a Hero (Also known as A Hero's Tale & Quest for Heroism)
- Quest for Orgy Series
- Luke 3D
- The Last Call of Avoozl
- Quest For Glory: A Hero's Death
- Project Midgard
- The Glory Project

For more details on these games you can now visit my finished Quest for Glory Page. If you have demos, videos, and pictures that I don't have for projects in my list please contact me. Also please let me know if there are there any other QFG related projects out there that I haven't listed here.
Last edited by Blake00 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 am, edited 15 times in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Quest for Glory fan projects

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:41 am

Naw, I think you got them all. (at least the ones I remember) Although Hero of the Infamous Kingdoms wasn't really a QFG-fangame and more a joke project rather than something that tried to mirror or emulate the QFG style.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:23 pm

There's also the Quest for Glory 2.5D remake. And also the two QFG remakes they were making for Morrowind and Oblivion that never saw the light of day.

Flauschepelz
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Flauschepelz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Blake00 wrote:These are all the fan games related to or inspired by QFG that I know of:
Quest For Glory 2 VGA, Quest For Glory 4 ½, Hero of Infamous Kingdoms, Hero6, Project Katrina, Quest for Infamy, Adventurer's Quest/Nightfall, Struggle For Life & Honour, The Unknown Hero, The Glory Project, Re-Quest For Glory, Destiny, Heroine's Quest, Mirror of Dreams (not sure if this one is actually QFG related)
Do you have links to these projects?

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Blake00 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:46 am

Erpy wrote:Naw, I think you got them all. (at least the ones I remember) Although Hero of the Infamous Kingdoms wasn't really a QFG-fangame and more a joke project rather than something that tried to mirror or emulate the QFG style.
Cheers Erpy, haha yeah I know its an April fools joke and not a ‘proper’ game but hey its got the QFG chose your character and hero sprite and best of all unlike other group projects its actually FINISHED lol! Hell there’s even a walkthrough out there for it lol. Plus it showcases backgrounds from many fallen projects & some early QFG2VGA ones so its quite the nostalgic collectors item now. :)
MusicallyInspired wrote:There's also the Quest for Glory 2.5D remake. And also the two QFG remakes they were making for Morrowind and Oblivion that never saw the light of day.
Have already replied to your same comment at IA but thanks again!

I also seemed to have once again inadvertently started another game making discussion over there, this time on a QFG V VGA (de-make) which would be pretty amazing!
Here's a Link to the thread if anyone is interested in adding their 2cents.

Flauschepelz wrote:Do you have links to these projects?
Well that’s the end result (a whole tribute section on my website with pics, info, downloads and any links I can find) so indeed I do! Well.. for most of them anyway hence why I’ve come here and will post some more questions in this thread in the future to try and rescue as much as I can. Unassisted over the last few weeks I’ve managed to gather about 40% active links, 40% dead/gone links accessible through web archive, and 20% got absolutely nothing so far other than its name.

I’ll put another weekend or so into it (depending on social/life commitments) and then put up a list of what I’ve got here and see if anyone can fill some of the gaps.
Last edited by Blake00 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:47 am

is it sad that I don't remember exacltly which game the whole Khaveen debacle was over?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:38 am

Hero of Infamous Kingdoms didn't contain any preliminary QFG2VGA screens, since AGDI did not take part in that project. Those screens were made by members of the other teams.

As for the Khaveen debacle...were you referring to Khaveen's SQ3VGA remake that was falsely reported as shut down by one of its members shortly after POS got their first C&D letter?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#8 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:32 am

That's the one. I couldn't remember what he was trying to make thought it might have been qfg related.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Blake00 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:55 am

Erpy wrote:Hero of Infamous Kingdoms didn't contain any preliminary QFG2VGA screens, since AGDI did not take part in that project. Those screens were made by members of the other teams.
Really? wow.. I know AGDI/Tierra weren't credited but I thought there may have been some sort of little thing behind the scenes as these 'some unfinished game' screens are clearly based on the Raseir Parrot Inn and Harlem.. If it wasn't you guys then I guess either someone else was working on a QFG2 remake before AGDI took it on or they were copying QFG2 style screens for an 'original' game lol.

Inn
Harlem

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:05 am

It was a joking reference to QFG2VGA. "unfinished game" = "not finished yet"

When HOIFK came out, QFG2VGA was still in development.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:14 am

Yeah, I worked on Hero of Infamous Kingdoms and I can tell you we did those backgrounds on our own as a tribute/goof on our buddies at AGDI. I don't remember who did them, exactly, but I remember we worked them up behind the scenes.

HOIK was a really fun April Fool's joke. A lot of people got together to do it - and it's sad to say that many of them have moved on or disappeared from the scene. I don't think we'll ever have the kind of fervor or comraderie that we had as a community as we did then when we made it. Everyone was still excited about their games. Out of all of them in the HOIK, I believe only KQIII and A Tale of Two Kingdoms were ever released. (And, then of course QFG2, related by proxy, came out too.)

But, actually, a lot of love went into making HOIK. I think Swift was the one who really glued that sucker together. She doesn't appear around anymore, either.

Bt

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Blake00 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 am

EDITED 23/3/2013 - This was originally a huge post containing details on my investigations into each game project. I don’t want to have to update multiple posts every time something changes, and now that the website is finished this list is no longer required anyway.

To see the information that was originally here you can now visit my finished Quest for Glory Page. If you have demos, videos, and pictures that I don’t have for projects in my list please contact me. Also please let me know if there are there any other QFG related projects out there that I haven’t listed here.
Last edited by Blake00 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 am, edited 10 times in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:19 pm

You categorizing those games as "almost complete" is kind, but not particularly accurate. None of those projects died close to the finish line.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Blake00 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:15 pm

whoops.. i should have been more clear.. when I say almost complete I mean my information, i DON'T mean the the projects status as this has nothing to do with how far they got to finishing since as you say most of them never got near.. I was just categorizing the level of info I've collected and getting help filling in the gaps if possible as there's some good stuff that's been lost.

have adjusted the wording! :)

Anyway any help would be appreciated. Would especially love to get my hands on the old hero6 public forest demo released. I've searched far and wide and found nothing. :(
Last edited by Blake00 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by Blake00 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:32 am

EDITED 23/3/2013 - This was originally a huge post containing details on my investigations into each game project. I don’t want to have to update multiple posts every time something changes, and now that the website is finished this list is no longer required anyway.

To see the information that was originally here you can now visit my finished Quest for Glory Page. If you have demos, videos, and pictures that I don’t have for projects in my list please contact me. Also please let me know if there are there any other QFG related projects out there that I haven’t listed here.
Last edited by Blake00 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by Blake00 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:53 am

Last edited by Blake00 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#17 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Good job, Blake. This actually reads like a page out of my own history book. I remember a lot of these sites from back in the day when I started IA, and I was inspired because there seemed to be so many others out there. It's sad many fell by the wayside, but it's fun to look back.

Bt

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by Blake00 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks Blackthorne! :)

I have made a few updates to my list including adding 2 new games to my list (thanks to Radiant and Corby at Crystal Shard games contacting me):
Glorious Quest
Conquests of a Hero/A Hero's Tale/Quest for Heroism (they never decided on 1 name)

and an update to the Quest for Orgy games (thanks to members over at AGS). Also removed Mirror of Dreams from the list as its not QFG related.

The webpage I�m building from my research above is almost finished. Will post it soon.
Last edited by Blake00 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#19 Post by Lady Pyro » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Blake00 wrote: and an update to the Quest for Orgy games (thanks to members over at AGS).
Why have I never heard if this game/these games?
I'll be back, I have to check this out.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by Blake00 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:49 am

Lady Pyro wrote:Why have I never heard if this game/these games?
I'll be back, I have to check this out.
Yeah I only found out about them recently from posts in the AGS forums. As you can see in my list I wasn't able to find much (just names and a little 1 screen demo) so if you find more info then I've got (eg web addresses dead or not, pics and downloads etc) let me know!! :)

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by Blake00 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:30 am

Hey everyone. My little pet project webpage dedicated to all the QFG fan games is essentially finished! Before anyone points it out yes I know it’s pretty basic, but I only know basic html and made it all in notepad occasionally pasting in freely available scripts & code. Never really had the time/money to take a proper course lol!

Blake’s Sanctum - Quest For Glory Series

Obviously I’ve still gotta finish my playthroughs of QFG3,4 & 5 but the fan game section is done. They’ll probably be little updates as people are still contacting me with QFG games I didn’t know about but most of the work is behind me.

Orion (Project Katrina) over at QFMG nicknamed my page the ‘graveyard site’ for QFG fan games and he’s quite right lol.. so many dead projects. Now at least some of them will live on and hopefully inspire more project ideas from the surviving studios in the future. There are also some great successful projects there and I’ve done my best to show them off and support their great work either by linking other peoples good walkthroughs, maps & videos or by making my own (QFG4.5 has my biggest contributions).

I’ve got to say big thankyou’s to the people that have helped in the forums and who have contacted me privately with information, pictures and files! Notably Corby over email (Heroine’s Quest, Conquests of a Hero), Radiant at AGS forums (Quest for Yrolg, Glorious Quest, Heroine’s Quest), and Orion at QFMG forums (Project Katrina & HOIK) for help on their respective projects and other projects. I still welcome any information that can help fill the gaps in the list above & my page, plus I’m sure there’s more projects out there I don’t know about. But for now I hope people like! :)
Last edited by Blake00 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#22 Post by gamecreator » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:35 pm

While I don't have time to delve deep into it here at work, that website looks very thorough and worth spending time looking through. My only complaint is that it looks like it loads full-size images and shrinks them down afterwards instead of having the images be the right size to begin with. Minor thing. Not a big deal. But if you can resize them, it would be even better.

Thanks for putting that all together! It's introduced me to several projects I had no idea about and a few that I'm glad I was reminded of! Very well done!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#23 Post by Erpy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:52 am

Have you ever checked this site? It used to be a news site on the fan-game environment (very heavily slanted towards the QFG-side which was the most prominent one in the early days of Hero6), but it kinda died out at some point. It contained some nice articles, including an article about the dangers of the various fan projects in the day.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by Blake00 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 am

Sorry for slow reply.. sooo busy!

Thanks gamecreator! And yes it’s a known issue, because I keep my pics 60k or below in size I’ve generally been able to get away with not using thumbs however I never expected the QFG page to get so big as there turns out to be twice as many fan projects as I’m aware of haha. Will implement thumbs in the future however its on hold for the moment as time is against me lol!

Indeed I have Erpy, Anthenor’s was one of my greatest sources as its articles pointed me to many dead project sites that I was able to feed into webarchive and rescue material. His interviews also proivited me with info on games I wasn't sure if they were QFG related or not, great site, pity he stopped it. You'll see in my list & site I also directly link to Anthenor’s for the fan game 'Luke3D' as it appears to have never had a website meaning Anthenor’s articles & pics are the only proof of its existence.

Would you believe Corby just sent me another QFG fan game I gotta look into hahaha. Never ends! :P

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by Blake00 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Hey everybody! Been a while since I last updated this list and as a result there have been many changes to my Quest for Glory Page and new projects found since my last update! Thank you to everyone that’s contacted me with new information over the last 3 years! :)

New QFG related projects added:
- Hero-U - Lori & Corey Cole are back making RPG games!
- Mage's Initiation - Amazing new kickstarter project from you guys
- Quest for Glory ZZT - oldie that slipped my radar
- Quest For 3D - Cool new QFG1 project using the unreal engine
- Grim Quest
- Peril Quest

QFG related projects updated:
- Original QFG3,4 & 5 - Finally finished my playthroughs & tribute pages!
- Hero6 - Original MAD & Final AGS demos FINALLY found and made available! New pics/vids made
- Quest For Glory 4 ½ - New v1.1 walkthrough released! New QFG4.5 Enhanced edition in the works!
- Quest for Infamy - Project back from dead via kickstarter! New pics/vids/demos
- Heroine's Quest: The Herald Of Ragnarok - New pics and trailer vid

General QFG page updates:
- Widescreen support with fullscreen backgrounds
- Thumbnails for faster page loads
- Transparent darkened/coloured box theme overhaul
- Animating intro page
- Animating backgrounds - occasional ghosting in IE
- Custom cursors - won’t work in IE
- Transparent coloured scrollbars - only works in Chrome, Safari & partially in IE

Every time I post here I wonder if it will be the last time and then new talented QFG fans appear with new projects in the works. Has been quite amazing how things have come back to life over the last 3 years. :)
Last edited by Blake00 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.