The Greatest Quest Ever Told!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

The Greatest Quest Ever Told!

#1 Post by Klytos » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:07 am

Hey AGDI'ers!

There's a competition going on at Infamous Adventures to determine the number 1 Sierra Adventure game of all time. All the info and the competition is over at IA's forums. Join in, the more people who participate the better and more accurate the results will be! And it's heaps more fun!

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/foru ... board=54.0

~ Klytos

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

Re: The Greatest Quest Ever Told!

#2 Post by pbpb33 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Greatest in what way? You have to look at each game in the context in which it was made (what technology was available, etc.) and how successful the game was at accomplishing its goals. I believe different games have different strengths. And what if a game was influential and ground-breaking at the time, but seems perhaps less impressive today judging only by more current standards? I think the question of whether a game has some kind of "timeless" fun/engaging factor should be considered in the judging. In a way, I don't like the idea of trying to come up with "the greatest" because I don't think it's possible to identify one game as the overall "greatest" winner (since different people will interpret what it means to be the greatest in different ways), but I'm sure it will be fun discussing... so I think the "contest" sounds like a cool idea!

Off the top of my head, I think some of the best are: Space Quest 3, Space Quest 4, Leisure Suit Larry 7 (with LSL's 3 and 6 not far behind) and King's Quest 4 (you're given so much freedom to explore, there are so many little subplots and it feels like an adventurous scavenger hunt rather than a linear story, which in this case actually made the game more fun for me). I also loved The Colonel's Bequest and Gabriel Knight 1.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:04 pm

Why don't you take a look at the link and you'd understand more clearly. It's a playthrough of every Sierra game from King's Quest I to Gabriel Knight 3. Everyone plays through the games at the same time and writes their review of the game and chats about it with everyone else. It's not really a contest, per se, but more of a book reading club for adventure gamers. don't be so negative about it. It's a fun community thing.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by pbpb33 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:29 am

I actually had read the posts in that thread, but still didn't have too clear an idea of what was happening. Maybe I missed something? The way you describe it as a playthrough/book club makes things a lot clearer, though. Anyway, I wasn't trying to be negative... like I said, it sounds like a cool idea, even if I didn't understand at first what it was all about. :lol

Lambonius
Knight Status

#5 Post by Lambonius » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:31 am

pbpb33 wrote:You have to look at each game in the context in which it was made (what technology was available, etc.) and how successful the game was at accomplishing its goals. I believe different games have different strengths. And what if a game was influential and ground-breaking at the time, but seems perhaps less impressive today judging only by more current standards? I think the question of whether a game has some kind of "timeless" fun/engaging factor should be considered in the judging.
Lol...these points are pretty much the basis of all the discussion currently going on about each game. We just began playthroughs/discussions of KQ2. Each game has its own forum with a variety of threads about the context, the game's impact, lasting fun factor, how it has aged, etc. ;)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:25 am

Yeah, it's really actually a lot of fun. It's cool to see what others think about the games - and to get it out while it's fresh from playing it.

Bt

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by pbpb33 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:48 am

oh wow, oops! :o I didn't even see all those other discussion topics where everything is explained under the "the contest" category. I had just clicked on the "greatest quest ever told" thread and couldn't understand what was going on. Seems like a lot of planning went into this!! Looks like quite an event! Very neat! I'm going to have to play some games again and post my thoughts. I really appreciate all the effort that is going into organizing and promoting the "contest." One little sidenote... is the term "grower" regularly going to pop up in the polls as a voting option? You guys know what that can mean, right? ("grower, not a shower") It sounds really funny to hear KQ2 described as a "grower."

You know what I'd also like to see more of... video reviews and commentary on YouTube (not just "let's play" videos, which are also great) about classic adventure games.... made by people who actually like adventure games. Videos on YouTube can easily reach a large audience. Here's one I think is really cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r406-vHo_E -- now, obviously not everyone has the time to do that kind of slick video editing, but even more basic videos would be fun.

Klytos

#8 Post by Klytos » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:41 am

Growers, Floaters or Sinkers. I figured that was the best and most IA way to describe whether it improved with the recent playthrough or whether it is better in your memory.

Corsair
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Corsair » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:54 am

Mask Of Eternity, for example, is the quintessential sinker - you look back and you think 'It was bad', but then if you sit down and try and play it, you realize it's not just merely -bad-, it's wretched on a Biblical proportion. They could use the Mask of Eternity logo as part of the Apocalypse. The Mask of the Beast.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by pbpb33 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Agreed! That was the only "KQ" game I stopped playing after about a week... and never finished. :( Sigh, I wish I had more time to play all these old games. Playing them puts me in such a good mood. I'm so grateful that people like you all exist and organize these kinds of discussion contests! I'm going to try to post about The Black Cauldron after I register for that message board. I just worry that I might take too long to finish the game... and then people will have already moved on to the next one. Oh well, it looks like it should still be okay to discuss previously covered games even after the discussion has moved to other games down the list.

Klytos

#11 Post by Klytos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm

For sure, keep discussing previous games, the threads won't be locked!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#12 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Yeah, I haven't even started KQ1 yet but I'm gonna and I'm gonna catch up later...