Going To Audio Production School

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Going To Audio Production School

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:56 pm

So I've decided to go back to school. I've applied for the Audio in Media 6-month course at Mid-Ocean School of Media Arts. It's their longest and most in-depth course in audio engineering and covers basically everything that has to do with sound production (except mastering). It's a pretty jam-packed course but I'm excited about it nonetheless. It's the only audio production school in Winnipeg, Manitoba, or the whole prairies area of Canada. I think the closest other one is in Ontario.

It required a lot to apply, though. I needed a transcript of my last school, my resume, a cover letter, a 300-word essay on why I want to take this course and my goals of what to do with it, and an interview with the head administrator. The whole course is $8400.00. I checked it out and I'm covered under federal/provincial student loan. But should I be accepted I have 3 weeks to first come up with a $1000 advance instalment to hold my seat (there are only 15 seats!) which is deducted from the total $8400 afterwards. I guess it's a way to filter people out as they get a lot of applications.

A friend and I went in today for a tour of the facility (which caused much drooling on my part) and handed in our applications. I should hear back in a week or two about the interview and I should be receiving a word on whether or not I've been accepted in another 4-6 weeks after that. Once I'm accepted I have 3 weeks to come up with $1000 to hold my seat. So I have about 2 months to come up with the $1000 instalment. That's the only thing that has me worried right now. Of course if I don't make it in this year (September) I'll be continually applying for the next courses (next one is in March) until I make it in!

Wish me luck, folks. I'm really excited about this opportunity...

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Going To Audio Production School

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:49 am

This is an amazing opportunity for you - you already have an immense amount of knowledge and talent. This should just hone and add to your collective. You're going to do amazing things.

Bt

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:01 am

Kudos man! I gotta say, going back to school to refine your passion feels fantastic. It's tough, but it's worth it!

MusicallyInspired

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:10 am

Thanks, you guys. I really do appreciate the sentiments. I'm excited about what I will learn that I don't already know....or learn how to do properly what I already know (quite a lot in either case)!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:41 am

I agree with BT. You already have a great deal of talent and it's awesome you'll get to develop it further. I'm pretty sure plenty of people here would be happy to give you a glowing reccomendation if you needed it, but I don't think you do. Good luck. :)

MusicallyInspired

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:13 pm

I had my interview last week and finally just got my letter today. I'm in!! I just need to come up with another $250 for the seat-holding/registration fee. And then set up the student loan after that.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#7 Post by DrJones » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Congratulations, hope these open you a few doors more! :D

MusicallyInspired

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:08 pm

My first day was yesterday. It was only a 2-hour orientation day. Today we started classes. Man. One day and I already have quite a bit more knowledge than I had previously been aware of. Just goes to show, no matter how much natural talent or know-how you've developed on your own, it never hurts to get some good old fashioned professional education.

School rocks. Can't wait to go back tomorrow!

gamecreator
Knight Status

#9 Post by gamecreator » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Glad to hear all this. If just the tour made you drool, I can see how you must be in heaven right now. Hopefully it challenges you and helps you take your skills to new levels. I'll also repeat that I know that you were already in a good place before you started. I remember checking out your site some months back and I liked what I heard. All the best!

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by Lady Pyro » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm jealous, I'm on my second day of school and all I can think it 'Holy Holes why did I take 8 am classes??" :p
I'm glad you're enjoying yourself!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#11 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 am

I went back to school too. I had to choose my elective today and it was between Film which I really like but would take away my fridays off and Gym which was at 830 on 2 different days. Then I said "Who the fuck goes to college and takes gym and why does that exist" to which my guidance counselor laughed and said "Film it is"

It's going to be kind of a strange experience going back to college after being away for 2 years. Especially considering my mom is one of my profs.

MusicallyInspired

#12 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:55 am

So everyone in my class ALL have Macs or Macbooks (mostly Macbooks). I'm feeling a little left out. There was one guy who was using a PC but then just this week he bought himself a Macbook and Logic as well. One guy even has an iPad.

The peer pressure to cave and invest in one is strong...but I've already invested a lot in a PC and Sonar (which is a PC only program). Those Macbooks are darn attractive, though. Maybe I just wish I had a laptop. All I bring to school is my stupid Nintendo DS with a flash cart and some homebrew applications.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by crayauchtin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:44 pm

Macs are pretty awesome for working on audio..........

Peer pressure? What? :P

MusicallyInspired

#14 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Peer pressure...as in my peers are pressuring me to buy a Mac.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#15 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:44 pm

I think my next compy will be a Mac too. Professional Studios and Art schools swear by them, so I guess it's about time to get on board. Well, once my PC officially dies. Until then MI, just do what I do and use the computers at school (if you can). They're pretty slick and get the job done.
Bonus: If they break, it's not your problem!

MusicallyInspired

#16 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Just had my final exam today. It feels good to finally be finished! Can't wait to get my marks back. Just another day where the administration and teachers take us all our for dinner and then that's it........except for the student loan I have to pay back lol. Can't wait to put my new knowledge to practical use!

Solarkid
Knight Status

#17 Post by Solarkid » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:38 am

It's awesome to see that you enjoyed it so much MI, i've been trying to find a production course suitable for my needs in UK for a while. I've built up a fair bit of knowledge just over time learning by doing, and it's been hard to find a course which wasn't very basic.

What are your plans in terms of music production now?

MusicallyInspired

#18 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:42 am

My friend and I have started a music group and are working on our first album together. We also plan to help other artists out by recording and mixing their work. Myself, I plan to continue to work freelance to write music for games, films, or anything I can get to get my foot in the door. Basically just get as much work as possible. In this day and age a sound engineer, artist, or freelance composer is truly self-managed and self-employed.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#19 Post by Solarkid » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:48 am

Sounds sweeet, you'd better link us to the album when it's done.

Yeah, I recently dropped out of university to pursue a freelance music career as well. I've been making small amounts of money by djing in clubs and i spent all the rest of my time producing electronic music which is finally seeming to get me somewhere, as next week i'm supporting Pete Tong and Afrojack in Edinburgh, crazy how things can move on.

You did a sublime job on the soundtrack for KQIII btw, I think it is one of the things which is really gripping me about this remake

MusicallyInspired

#20 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:52 am

Thank you. :) That's the goal.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#21 Post by Solarkid » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:57 am

Did you do all of the sound effects as well? such as the creeking floorboards etc in the mansion

MusicallyInspired

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:00 am

I did a handful of sound effects, but not everything. I did the POOF sound effects for Manannan and the teleportation at random spell and also the creaking mansion sounds. Can't remember anything else off-hand. The points jingle, I guess, but that's more of a musical thing anyway.