Earthquake in New Zealand

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Earthquake in New Zealand

#1 Post by DrJones » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:27 pm

I've heard 65 people have lost their lives in New Zealand due to an Earthquake, I hope everyone is okay in that part of the world.

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

Re: Earthquake in New Zealand

#2 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:31 pm

I just sent a message to a friend on Facebook that lives there to see if shes OK. I hope she is.

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by rugged » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Christchurch is my home city, though I live in Tauranga now. I have many family and friends down there. It is horrific and the death toll will certainly rise. So far all my friends and family are safe with the exception of an old school friend who tragically lost his brother when parts of a building fell on a bus that he was travelling on.

It is very scary as power and phone lines are down and people are being urged not to use the mobile network for callling which has in turn meant overloads for SMS messages, which basically means we have no contact with family members

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:45 am

Scary stuff, eh?

First the floods that destroyed millions of homes in South Africa, NZ, Australia and South America. Big storms hitting Oz. Now earthquakes. There were a number of earthquakes some distance off the coast of South Africa just a month ago, thus this seem to be more than coincidence. Hmmm... perhaps the 2012 predictions ain't that far off. :p

ChronoSerge
Peasant Status

#5 Post by ChronoSerge » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:18 am

I have been following this on the news. I its very tragic. I do not think there has really been an increase in natural disasters though. There are actually earthquakes happening all over the world all the time, but most are never felt. I feel that as the population increases, and more areas become populated, that it increases the likelihood of these disasters effecting people, and things like television and the internet mean there is greater awareness of it.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#6 Post by Klytos » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:31 am

There's a lot of natural disasters happening in Australia and New Zealand at the moment. Let's pray this is the last one!

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by rugged » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:11 am

It is surreal seeing so many places where I grew up are destroyed. The city is in ruins, many friends are at the end of themselves with no power, water and constant aftershocks unnerving. Final death toll is expected to be 200-300. A guy I went to school with is presumed dead in a building.

I guess internationally this will no longer be making the headlines but people are in real need. If you pray then please continue to say your prayers for our city and nation. If you want to donate then please visit www.redcross.org.nz

Kia Kaha

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#8 Post by Klytos » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:28 pm

It's certainly still making headlines here in Australia.

Of course, New Zealand is like our slightly slow cousin so it's kinda in the family.

Just glad you're alright mate.