Anybody loved the old beat-em-ups on the Genesis?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Anybody loved the old beat-em-ups on the Genesis?

#1 Post by Erpy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:13 pm

About a day or so ago, an online fan-team released the definite versions of their Streets of Rage Remake project. The name is kind of a misnomer, since it's not so much a remake of the first game, but rather a collection package that contains most of the stages of the original three games in some form as well as several new ones and all the playable characters from the original three games as well as, again, a handful of new ones. While it's noticable that some of the art and animations are a bit rough, it's still a very impressive piece of work and a lot of fun if you liked the original games. And it contains a truckload of goodies, like a CPU-controlled second player, many different routes and endings and even a level editor. Too bad they were unable to get online play implemented as they originally hoped for.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Anybody loved the old beat-em-ups on the Genesis?

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:52 pm

I loved SOR2. Also loved Final Fight on the SNES. My brother and I once played straight through SOR2 to the end. Fun times. I enjoyed the soundtrack. Big surprise. :D

gamecreator
Knight Status

#3 Post by gamecreator » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 pm

I wish they made it more than just 2-player co-op. Agreed on the Streets of Rage music. It's pretty strong. There are some sweet remixes here.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:05 pm

Yeah, we've seen this kind of thing before. That said, the site's still up and the dev team is rather quiet on the issue, so we're hoping things can still be worked out. Since Sega didn't react until AFTER the game was released (courtesy of the team being genre-savy enough to release it without any prerelease hype or release date announcement whatsoever), nothing they can do can prevent the project from spreading across the internet.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#6 Post by DrJones » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:35 pm

I'm not a lawyer, but because they don't use assets from the original games, the only thing Sega could complain about is the use of the name Streets of Rage or the game's music, as far as I know.

Radogol
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Radogol » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 am

DrJones wrote:I'm not a lawyer, but because they don't use assets from the original games...
But they do, and from other non-Sega games as well.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 am

They do actually. The game is entirely built upon slightly touched-up sprites and backgrounds of the original trilogy and there's a lot of borrowed and slightly modified art there to fill in the blanks. Not to mention the fact all characters, enemies and stages from the original are in there, so from a legal point of view, there's no case here.