A personal Sierra relic I felt like sharing.

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

A personal Sierra relic I felt like sharing.

#1 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Sun May 29, 2011 5:19 am

I felt like posting this after I saw the video interview for the Art of Sierra book.

I've had various moves over the years, but there's always something I took with me no matter what-- I had this shoebox from my dad's old place that I never had the heart to get rid of, as it contained all my old game manuals, little maps I scribbled on notebook paper for the catacombs and QFG forests and whatnot...

...and this letter. I was 11 years old when I received it.

I even saved the envelope.

I distinctly remember having a particularly crappy day at school, then my father came home from work and said "How come no one went to the mailbox?" so he sent me out there and suddenly I felt like it was my freakin birthday or something because there's not only the new Mac World, Ranger Rick, and this magazine for kid Mac gamers I can't remember the title of but it always came with these awesome demo CDs...and a letter from Sierra behind all of it. (Years later, I knew he planned this intentionally.) We opened the letter with great anticipation and I remember feeling a little let down but wasn't old enough to understand the concept of "our attorneys have long pressed us to adopt this policy", then my dad tells me that "Hey, so they won't make King's Quest 8 the way you saw it, but how many other kids do you know can say they got Roberta's autograph just like that?"

I can't really remember what my script entailed precisely. But I do recall it was around 25 pages and had Rosella as the main character, and she had to save Edgar from a bunch of crazy anthropomorphic frogs that kidnapped him in a trippy forest and swamp land ridden with death traps and references to other Sierra titles.

But note the date: Outside script or not, I was 11 years old and came up with a better idea for King's Quest 8 than what the final product ended up being.

ETA: It's dated on TAX DAY. Strangely prophetic.

Radogol
Royal Servant Status

Re: A personal Sierra relic I felt like sharing.

#2 Post by Radogol » Mon May 30, 2011 8:38 am

So are you telling us they had an open submission policy at least up to King's Quest VII? Man, talk about a missed opportunity.

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

Re: A personal Sierra relic I felt like sharing.

#3 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Mon May 30, 2011 5:26 pm

Apparently so. I guess a lot of ideas came from the fans before being finalized into the actual game script, until it got to the point that they received so much content that it couldn't be reviewed anymore.

I didn't understand that until I was far older and the decline of adventure gaming had already passed.