Running DOS games on Android!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Chief
Knight Status

Running DOS games on Android!

#1 Post by Chief » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:38 am

I wanted to share something one of my friend sent me. Apparently it works pretty well!

Step 1: Download AnDosBox from Android Market. Costs $3 I think. ADosBox is pretty much the same thing but it doesn't have the "Pen Mode" that works so well with Dos games. With that one you have to manually drag the cursor around with your finger like a mouse.

Step 2: "install" an old Sierra game like QFG3 on your PC. Add whatever patches you want to it. Since those old games don't actually "install" anything and just copy files, set up the games however you want before you copy them over. To get them on your phone/tablet just plug your device into your computer with USB cable. It should come up as an external drive like a flash drive or media device. You will need to make a folder in there, I used "DosGames" and put everything in there like DosGames\QFG1, etc.

Step 3: Copy over any games you want. Just copy the whole folders over into the new DosGames folder you made. If you are using games that have CDs, you will need to rip an ISO file for it and copy it to a location somewhere. For mine I just put them inside the game folders.

Step 4: Edit the games.bat file to include the proper folders and exe paths for your games. Then copy the games.bat file into the ROOT of your device. Since AnDosBox (and ADosBox) mounts the SD card as c: by default, the c: is the root of what you see when you plug into a PC. The games.bat file will allow you to only have to type "Games" with the on screen keyboard and then select a number instead of typing cd\dosgames\qfg1\hero to launch the game. Typing all that gets annoying, especially on phone keyboards where you have to swap menus to get the slashes and stuff. This is especially awesome when dealing with games that need ISO files mounted. The sample file has examples in there of how to do that in for QFG4 CD version, and Star Trek 25th anniversary as well as A Final Unity both mount iso files.

Once you have the games copied over and the games.bat file setup correctly to point to the right folder paths, run AnDosBox, hit your Menu button on Android, click Input Mode and select "Pen" then also turn on Resize Mode (if using a tablet, and possibly larger screen phones). It will auto mount your c drive, so just open up the on screen keyboard and type "games." The menu should come up and just hit numbers to select things. If the folder paths in there are correct you will be off and away running DOS games on android!

here is that bat file you can download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cmqcho

Collector
Peasant Status

Re: Running DOS games on Android!

#2 Post by Collector » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:32 am

I think that there is a free Android port of DOSBox.