Space Quest II is available to download!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Broomie
The Enigma

Space Quest II is available to download!

#1 Post by Broomie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:55 am

DECEMBER 30th, 2011 - After more than five years of working on the game, bit by bit in their spare time, the team at INFAMOUS ADVENTURES (www.infamous-adventures.com) has released their remake of the 1987 classic, "SPACE QUEST II: Vohaul's Revenge". Originally written and programmed by Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe and released by Sierra On-Line, the game features the hapless hero, janitor Roger Wilco in a rollicking adventure that takes him through space!

Remade in a classic retro "VGA" style, like Sierra's later point and click adventures from the early 1990's, Space Quest II Remake provides hand-drawn backgrounds, hand animated characters, a full voice pack featuring over 4,000 recorded lines and a whole lot of extras and fun. A labor of love and devotion to the original series, the team at Infamous Adventures is proud to be able to release this to the fans, both young and old. Visit www.infamous-adventures for more details.

So what are you waiting for?

CLICK HERE FOR SPACE QUEST II: VOHAUL'S REVENGE!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Space Quest II is available to download!

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:07 am

Downloading it now! :D

Congratulations to everyone at IA for accomplishing yet another milestone. It takes a lot of damn hard work and dedication to see projects of this magnitude through to the end, and it's always awesome to have the opportunity play another blast from the past (particularly one I wasn't involved in and thus didn't have to stare at day after day, for years on end).

Well, it's time for a virtual romp in the early 90's. Kippesoep would be proud!

PS. PM me if you guys need another mirror.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:36 pm

This game is of the same substance dreams are made of. I haven't go beyond the first screens because it simply has too many things to interact with and so many great jokes that I'm constantly reloading to see which things I could have missed. I'm not telling anything because I don't want to spoil the jokes, but I can't resist more than five minutes without some line making me laugh. Superb job!! :D

Lambonius
Knight Status

#4 Post by Lambonius » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:33 pm

Be sure to check out the pdf manual included in the game directory. It's got a lot of great and hilarious custom content, and was just as much a labor of love as the game itself! ;)

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:14 am

Here's a bug that destroys the game.

Say I'm navigating certain vine maze, and I'm situated too far to the left when I chose to throw some item at some plant, certain animation is displayed and as a result Roger becomes displaced some steps to the left. It just happens that those steps are enough for him to leave the screen, but he can't, so a message is displayed in a neverending loop.

As I exit the game, the error message was "Abort key pressed" in room15.asc, line 294.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:50 am

Thanks, Dr. We'll get on that one post haste! Glad you like the game!

Bt

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#7 Post by DrJones » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:13 pm

This was weird. I was hanging on a rope and then pressed down twice to see how far down I could go (I guess I could go too far, heheh). Anyways, upon restoring the game crashed with this message:

In "System_Functions.asc", line 198
from "GlobalScript.asc", line 241

Error: Error running function "on_mouse_click":
Error: Null pointer referenced.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#8 Post by DrJones » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:26 pm

I was in the area where I'm asked for a password. I clicked so that Roger would walk to the hotspot where he can introduce it, but rather than going straight, he took a deviation so that he could walk through air before entering the password. As soon as he reached the hotspot, game crashed with the following code:

in "room23.asc", line 91

Error: The character "ROGER" could not be displayed because there were no frames in loop 1 of view 17.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#9 Post by DrJones » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:58 pm

When I'm surrounded by darkness for the second time in the game, it looks like I can save the game using the options menu, but I can't use the hotkeys F5 or F7.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#10 Post by DrJones » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:35 am

It looks like you can entirely skip the labion beast puzzle by just walking through solid stone. *cough*

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#11 Post by DrJones » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:34 am

I think I activated half a trap in Vohaul's Lair, when I got the urge to play an Ocarina substitute. The game crashed with the following error:

In "System_Functions.asc", line 198
from "GlobalScript.asc", line 241

Error: Error running function 'on_mouse_click':
Error: Null Pointer referenced

Lambonius
Knight Status

#12 Post by Lambonius » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:32 am

While we certainly appreciate you taking the time to post bugs, and encourage you to continue to do so, why on earth are you posting them over here on AGDI's forums instead of in the dedicated bug thread over at OUR forums?? ;)

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#13 Post by DrJones » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:47 pm

I have OCD and if I made an account in the IA forums I wouldn't resist reading every single post before posting, and I'm always so busy that I'm afraid of doing so. However, as I've already read every post in the AGDI boards, they're no longer a concern for me. :p

I'm only reporting critical bugs and showstoppers, but I think you should check side by side all voices and their text, because there are quite a lot of (funny) inconsistencies, and there are also hotspots in where you forgot to add the descriptions. By the way, good remakes of these Sierra classics. I've just found the homage to one of them! :D

EDIT: It looks like you can get Marvin kill you while you're seated far away from him. Maybe you would want to add some animation of Roger coming closer to him so that it doesn't look weird.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#14 Post by DrJones » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:27 pm

This is a bug that never ends,
¡Yes, it goes on and on my friend!
Some Roger sticked up a plunger
not knowing he hadn't set off the trap
and he'll be stuck in there forever, just because...

Luckily, I saved before entering that room. :p

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#15 Post by DrJones » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:45 pm

The bug in "System_Functions" seems to happen randomly, but it's the second time it happened just after restoring a previously saved game and clicking on a hotspot/inventory item.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#16 Post by DrJones » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:34 pm

This one isn't gamebreaking, but really annoying. If you enter a room with a red button and immediatly exit the screen, its music will keep sounding.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#17 Post by DrJones » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:33 pm

If you turn off the computer after having entered the command, the computer and the machine will still work. It's fun that I was able to turn off the switch without ever leaving the keyboard.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by gargin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi DrJones.

Great catches! Anyone ever tell you that you would make a good beta tester?

Just so I know, what operating system are you using?

Thanks,
-Gargin

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#19 Post by DrJones » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm using Windows XP sp3 (32bits) and DirectX 9.0c

I got a crash when there was one minute left before some countdown would reach 0. I think I had reached the East end of some corridor, so that might be the cause. The computer voice was saying something like "last chance to press the red button that stops the countdown", lol.

In "Game_functions.asc", line 499
from "GlobalScript.asc", line 81

Error: a blocking function was called from within a non-blocking event such as repeatedly_execute_always.

I hope I haven't missed some vital item to finish the game. :D

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Great catches! Anyone ever tell you that you would make a good beta tester?
We did. Repeatedly. While he was busy tearing KQ3 Redux to pieces.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by gargin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:31 am

Thanks again for finding all that. I believe I have resolved everything you pointed out in my version. They should all be fixed in the next update!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#22 Post by DrJones » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:27 am

I'm in the escape pod: remaining five seconds before the ship's destruction. I try to talk to the door from the escape door. Game crashes with following message:

in "Game_functions.asc", line 414
from "globalScript.asc", line 81

Error: DisplaySpeech: speech was already displayed (nested DisplaySpeech, perhaps more room script and global script conflict?)

It's becoming really hard for me to beat this game without it crashing on me, heh.

EDIT: I just crashed it again, and the same line of code, but now it displays this other error message:

Error: a blocking function was called from within a non-blocking event such as repeatedly_execute_always.

EDIT": Now it crashed in line 507. I suspect the trigger is the voice that sounds when there's 6 seconds left. Unluckily, not even muting the audio/sfx from the options menu fixes the problem.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#23 Post by DrJones » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:50 am

Game keeps crashing, woo-hoo!

First, I tried to disable voices from winsetup.exe to see if I could survive the six seconds countdown crash, and it worked!! Then the countdown reached 0:0 and nothing happened (probably because the voice never plays, or maybe because I'm already in the escape pod). Heh! That's quite the oversight!! :rollin

I was testing this bug more closely loading a previous saved game, but as soon as I passed the screen with the button that can stop the countdown, game crashed again with this error message:

in "room59.asc", line 25

Error: running function 'room_a':
Error: Null Pointer referenced

Maybe it tried to play a sound when I've disabled it? I don't know.

EDIT: Actually, it also crashes when I leave that screen both ways (line 371?). It also crashes if I set the game "text only" in the ingame options menu.

EDIT2: Verified. If sound is muted in winsetup.exe, countdown will be 0:0 and nothing will happen. Maybe is there another countdown? It looks like the original SQ2 had TWO countdowns, one set at 7 minutes to stop the launch of salesmen, and another of 40 minutes before the asteroid crashes ewok-style in the planet's atmosphere.
Last edited by DrJones on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#24 Post by DrJones » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:17 am

Well, I finally finished the game! Woo-hoo!! It was fun, it was great, and I forgot 1 score point somewhere. I really loved it all the time, and thank you very much for giving me the chance to play Space Quest II from beginning to end for the first time! You guys rock!! :D

And as you can see, I'm some kind of magnet for bugs. Poor Erpy could tell you some horror histories about that, heh. :p

I've also found a lot of hidden messages. My favorite one is when Rogers offers something to the Predator in an attempt to get him to spare his life. :lol

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by gargin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:09 pm

haha. Wish I had you as a bug tester DrJones! As you say you seem to be a magnet for em.

Unfortunately, the announcement system is kinda screwed up. I made the poor decision during the finalizing process to move its code from the repeatedly_execute block to the repeatedly_execute_always block in response to a relatively small complaint by a bug tester when the timer didn't continue when getting in the shuttle. Unfortunately, I guess no one ever tested it after because it worked flawlessly before. In particular, I don't think AGS likes the parts where Roger responds to the announcements after going below 1 minute as they pause the game. A rookie mistake on my part.

Sorry you had to experience a lot of those, but I am really glad you took the time to post about them. I have a technical patch in works that should resolve a lot of the problems people have been experiencing. These reports will help a lot.

Thanks!
-Gargin