Hey there, old timers. (And everyone else.)

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Hey there, old timers. (And everyone else.)

#1 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Hey guys. This is a post for any of us old timers that might cruise by here to see if anything has happened.

Well, forums have kind of fallen off. But I know there's a lot of us who remember that this was a daily check-in for many of us for years. Sometimes multiple times a day! It's funny for me to think that I have been frequenting forums like this, and involved with fans of Sierra Games/Adventure games for over 16 years like this. So many changes - a lot of us grew from young adults, to old farts (haha) with families and such. Others have gone on to careers in vastly different directions than they may have thought.

I just had a thought about all these old times, I so I decided to post. I hope all who read this are well. I hope some who read this remember old times fondly, and they keep a bit of that spirit in their lives now.

Bt

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

Re: Hey there, old timers. (And everyone else.)

#2 Post by Markus Ramikin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:16 am

It's something like a yearly check-in for me.

I think that's okay. Screw the Twitter Age.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:42 pm

I've largely abandoned Twitter as well. I check it once a day just in case. Twice or so if I have any interactions.

But I so remember the good times here fondly. This was about the only Sierra community I interacted with. Or at least the first. I migrated to Quest Studios Forums a little later and then IA, SQ.net forums, etc.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:51 pm

Also here! Forums still the greatest!
Hope you are all well too.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#5 Post by Spikey » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Nice to see all these names, still.

Forums are still my preferred method of online communication for sure!
I kind of loathe Facebooks and other social media stuff.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Same here, Spikey. I loathe social media with a passion, and though it has its uses and benefits, I'm not sure that it has been net positive for society. Everyone knows everything about everyone - it creates a judgmental environment. There's no enigma or mystery about anything, like there used to be on forums where everyone would come to gather around for a common purpose and forget everything that existed outside of that zone. Sadly, I think Social Media is here to stay, but hopefully it evolves (devolves?) into something better over time.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:30 am

I still drop in from time to time. Hello, all.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#8 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:56 am

I pop in pretty regularly to make sure there are no spam posts and such. Good to see that other people pop in from time to time as well.

I miss the good ol' days!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:17 pm

I'm just here for the great emojis that were truly ahead of their time :hat :rollin

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Haha, glad to see this got some responses. Good to see some of the "faces" that popped up. You guys played Mage's Initiation at all? Well, I know some of you here worked on it, but others? It's nice to play a new classic point and click. (For me, nice to play one I didn't work on!)

Bt

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#11 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Man, posting here was the highlight of my day for years. Such good times and good friends.

We are all well, would you believe it, the little miracle Katherine is now 14 years old!! :hat

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#12 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:59 pm

Time tends to fly by. It doesn't seem like that long ago.

My kids are 7, 10, 18, and 19. Another couple of years and my oldest will be the same age I was when I started programming on KQ3Redux! :eek

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:19 pm

hitting this thread again made me want to replay the qfg series and as I round the corner on 4 again it completely slipped my mind that KQ3 Redux was made, As one of the most prolific posters on this website I hadn't even downloaded it! Gonna fix that real soon. I truly am Slacker of Shapier, I also haven't played Mage's Initiation or Hero-u. Hero-u joins Quest for Infamy in games that I backed on kickstarter but haven't finished. I'm even IN QFI but I got stuck at some point and must have gotten busy. These days I mostly play World of Warcraft (Hit up my Btag Calik#1140) but when I'm waiting for other players to sign on or get somewhere I've taken up the habit of having a tiny dosbox window on my other monitor.

King's Quest 3 Redux, Quest for Infamy, Mage's Initiation, Hero-u... should probably play Heroine's quest at some point. I think what I've discovered is that for me and probably others these forums became so much bigger than the games they were about. I think it's nice we can still pop in and thank everyone that made this place what it was.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Holy cow, Katherine is 14??? I remember when she was born. Seems like yesterday. Time flies... and then you have a teenager.

Also, two of NavyNuke's kids are young adults??? Oh man. It's so funny. We thought these games we loved were outdated when we all joined these forums, but look at it now... still outdated, yet we're still playing them, others still play them and some people keep making games like 'em! 15 years later... haha. Glad we all got old together.

Bt

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#15 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:44 pm

*Shakes fist in the air*
Stay off my lawn!

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#16 Post by Vildern » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:10 am

Katherine is now 14 years old...

Man Angelus, I think I was that old when we were posting here DAILY haha

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#17 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:39 am

My daughter Brianna will be 13, a teenager, in less than two months. Life is crazy. Still good memories here. I peruse the old threads and posts every now and then. Been a while since my last visit. I hope this place is around forever. So special.

shivrani
Peasant Status

#18 Post by shivrani » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:45 am

Hello everyone :)

Glad to see I'm not the only one! I'm quite nostalgic about adventure games and forums. Social media is so draining and noisy these days!
Hope everyone had a lovely holiday season and I wish you all a magical New Year!

Tanker5455
Peasant Status

#19 Post by Tanker5455 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:40 pm

Well, forums are still the best way to talk about a topic while keeping all previously written and posted info at hand... Go and try to find something that's been posted 2 weeks ago in an active facebook group :rolleyes
Reddit doesn't really cut it, it's halfway between a forum and social networks in terms of ergonomy, it's more practical than facebook, but finding something old is still difficult.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#20 Post by Ghost_Rider » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:16 am

Hello all. It's been a while since my last visit as well, but saw this post and thought I'd say hi, and that I hope everyone is doing well.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by Blake00 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:17 am

I still visit every few months. I miss those days so much. This place was a daily check in for me too. Loved getting all the latest QFG2 remake news and King's Quest 1 and 2 remake news. Debating over other projects ideas.

It's places like this forum that inspired me to make my Quest for Glory series and fan games tribute website.