A Thought on the Extra Skills in QFG

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

daventry
Knight Status

A Thought on the Extra Skills in QFG

#1 Post by daventry » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:45 pm

I just thought of something, when i was Creating my Character, i never bothered to give him the extra points of Skills like Climbing - Pickpocket - Magic - Fighting, would that have meant i could Join that type of Guild aswell to enhance my Gameplay further.

My Gameplay had always been Just about the Character i Chose, thats why i only upgrade my Hero Skills to He's Stats, i never give the Fighter Magic - Picklocking - Sneaking, thus i dont remember if you could join All the Guilds.

For example, if i give my Fighter Magic, could he Join WIT aswell.

What could each Class do when you gave him those Extra 0 Bonus Points that is meant for the Specific Character.

Would Walkthroughs have been longer if you gave Extra Skills to your Characters.

If you give the Fighter/Thief Magic, will they have All the Spells and could they Join WIT and the Thieves Guild and the Fighters Guild.

My Imagination always let me to believe that if the Fighter has Magic and Thieving Abilities, he can Only get a Open Spell and Stamina Spell to make him stronger and not be able to join the Thieves Guild and WIT, he would Only have the Skills for it, because he is not a real Thief and Magic User.

adeyke

Re: A Thought on the Extra Skills in QFG

#2 Post by adeyke » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Please use proper capitalization. That was painful to read.

Some content is available to anyone with the required skills, while other content is only available to the characters with the appropriate class. This true in all QfG games, to varying extents. For example, most spells are available to anyone with magic, but a few (like the one to summon a magic staff in QfG3-5) are only available to actual wizards. As far as the guilds, WIT is open to anyone with magic, the thieves' guild is open to anyone with thieving skills, but EOF is open only to fighters.

Personally, I recommend not getting any of the cross-class skills. Even with all the skills, you can't see all the content, and having all the skills makes the classes feel too similar to each other. For example, you never really have to consider how a fighter or thief would get past a puzzle if you can magic everything.

daventry
Knight Status

#3 Post by daventry » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:53 pm

This is one of the reasons why i hate the Elder Scroll Series where everything is being cramped down your throat in witch you can join every guild and be everything, thus i only give my QFG Characters the skills that are needed to them in witch like you said, its pointless to give your selected Characters all the skills where QFG is suppose to be about Your Choosing Character.

Heres my QFG1 Class Skills witch i will import to the next QFG Game and update the same points to them.

My Fighter Class
Intelligence
Luck
Parry
Dodge
Throwing
Climbing
My Wizard Class
Strength
Agility
Vitality
Luck
Weapon Use
Dodge
My Thief Class
Strength
Vitality
Luck
Weapon Use
Dodge
Stealth
Pick Locks
Throwing
Climbing
Last edited by daventry on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:28 pm

I don't think it's a bad thing that you're given the option to get the cross-class skills. I just recommend that people not exercise that option until they've played through the game as the pure classes.

I suppose it's a bit like the soda fountains found in some fast food restaurants. Suppose there's a cola, an orange soda, and a lemon soda. If you never mix the drinks, there are just exactly three options. On the other hand, if you always mix the drinks, a cola-orange-lemon will taste a lot like a orange-lemon-cola or a lemon-cola-orange, so you now have just one option. On the other hand, if you sometimes take a pure drink, and sometimes deliberately mix them, there are a lot of options: cola, orange, lemon, cola-orange, orange-lemon, lemon-cola, and cola-orange-lemon.

So I'd very much recommend going for the pure classes first, but playing hybrids afterwards can also be fun. I'm mainly warning against just always getting as many skills as possible, just because they'll make your character your powerful.

(Also, I really don't like that the games sometimes force cross-class skills on you. Paladins are sometimes given magic skill in order to use their paladin "spells", and are then also given magic-user spells because of this. And in QfG1-3, climbing is purely a thief skill, but in QfG4, fighters also get it.)

daventry
Knight Status

#5 Post by daventry » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:47 pm

Why the Coles dident restrict that is weird, because i love QFG for its re-playability and what each Hero can do, thus i find the Elder Scroll Series as an excuse as to "for example" why the QFG Series not having optional skills.

QFG2VGA had the perfect opportunity to re-strict skill based players, i would if i could make Games and started re-making QFG1-5

Are you not bored with the Elder Scroll Series because you can do everything with one character, even though you can choose 10 different races, yet the gameplay is exactly the same. Dont get me wrong, i love the Elder Scroll Series and cant wait for TES6 but man i wish for Strictly Skill Class Characters, then i wouldent mind so much to choose a different race, but the gameplay would be so much more re-playable.
Last edited by daventry on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adeyke

#6 Post by adeyke » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:21 pm

I don't understand your complaint. You make it sound like the game forces you to play a hybrid, when all it does is give you that option. How does that option hurt the game?

daventry
Knight Status

#7 Post by daventry » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Its a 26 Year old thing im now complaining about when i just realized it now, considering the Elder Scroll Series does the same :rollin

Its not an issue or anything, just curiosity. :p Oh just dont say Curiosity kills the Katta :rollin

Did you know the Coles have said we couldve played a Centaur, im starting to think the Elder Scroll Series copied off QFG with the exception of 10 Races and Force joining every guild while being everything. :hat

adeyke

#8 Post by adeyke » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:51 pm

I've never played an Elder Scrolls game, but it's more likely that any similarities are just because the two series are both in the western RPG genre.

daventry
Knight Status

#9 Post by daventry » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:08 pm

Its the Best RPG to date and if your good with Mods, then theres a Creation Kit to make your own Mods to even enhance your Gameplay for the better. My suggestion is to start with Skyrim. The Elderscroll Series is simply QFG with so much more.

Just curios, why should the Fighter not be able to climb in the QFG Series.

adeyke

#10 Post by adeyke » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Fighters just can't climb in QfG1-3 unless you specifically give them climbing skill. Only thieves start out with that skill naturally. So the inability to climb is part of what sets those two classes apart. In QfG1-3, every puzzle the fighter encounters has a solution that doesn't involve climbing.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Markus Ramikin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:50 pm

One thing that annoys me in the QFG community is when people, instead of just exercising the option to not play a hybrid themselves if they happen to have that preference, would want to limit other people in how they get to play. Hell, Lori Ann Cole herself has said that she prefers to cross-class to experience as much as possible in a single playthrough.

In other news, the Elder Scrolls series has always seemed to be garbage to me. But that may be because I was introduced to the bland and combatsystem-deficient piece of turd that was Morrowind by the time I was already familiar with Gothic 2. That game spoilt me and caused me to expect good game features in terms of combat, exploration, character movement, NPC AI, etc. Cue many disappointments in the years that followed.