Why We Loved Sierra Games: 1984 Sierra fan reviews King’s Q

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ewing
Peasant Status

Why We Loved Sierra Games: 1984 Sierra fan reviews King’s Q

#1 Post by ewing » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:16 pm

It’s finally here!

This review/retrospective tackles why we loved Sierra games against the backdrop of King’s Quest 2015. It tries to provide tangible game design reasons about what made classic Sierra games special, with a particular focus on the special relationship between storytelling and puzzles. And of course a look at how KQ2015 measures up.

Even if you don’t ultimately agree with my opinions, it should be a fun, nostalgic romp through Sierra games as it also tries to celebrate Sierra games and their creators. It contains clips from almost all the Sierra games, interview excerpts from most of the original designers, lots of classic Sierra music, and a tribute to Gary Owens. Also, I include KQ1VGA and try to plug AGDI and Mage's Initiation.

Why We Loved Sierra Games:
King’s Quest 2015: An Opinionated Review by a crotchety Sierra fan who remembers 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wua96SI ... lA&index=1

I really appreciate all help in spreading the word. I’m a social media dummy.

Thanks,
Eric

adeyke

Re: Why We Loved Sierra Games: 1984 Sierra fan reviews King

#2 Post by adeyke » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:15 pm

I didn't have high expectations going into this, but I did watch it and was pleasantly surprised. I don't really care about the new King's Quest game, but some of the higher-level discussion was interesting.

ewing
Peasant Status

Re: Why We Loved Sierra Games: 1984 Sierra fan reviews King

#3 Post by ewing » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:56 pm

adeyke wrote:I didn't have high expectations going into this, but I did watch it and was pleasantly surprised. I don't really care about the new King's Quest game, but some of the higher-level discussion was interesting.
Yes, this is a crazy/unorthodox review that came out of nowhere by a nobody. I totally get the skepticism. So I really appreciate you watching and saying that!