The Change of a Person Over Time

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

The Change of a Person Over Time

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:51 am

I decided for fun to go back to the 37th page of the off-topic forums and see what life was like back in 2004. It amazed and astounded me how much of a different person I am now compared to what I was. For starters I was 18 or so, so I was a lot more vocal in a foot-in-my-mouth sort of way, so there's a difference in the tact I have when I say things then as opposed to now. I've really learned a lot. I also can't believe how much I disagree with myself back then! Some of the issues I used to rant on about I don't even agree with now and was surprised to find out I once did at all.

Change is good......and interesting.

PS- Also, there were some pretty messed up threads back in the day. Check this one out, for instance.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

Re: The Change of a Person Over Time

#2 Post by pbpb33 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:56 am

That KQ5 remake thread (with the "interesting" suggestion of cameos by "feral" puppets from an Australian children's tv show) was pretty hilarious. The funny part is I think Aussie Bloke was half-serious... and I just love how he put so much effort into detailing how the characters could be worked into the game... complete with providing links to their pictures. If he sees this, I don't want him to think I'm mocking him (*ahem* too much)... because it's great to see someone so open to sharing their ideas about things they love... and it did give me a good laugh, I'll admit. It was also funny to see the idea get shot down in the responses, especially in this classic one from Jafar:

"I've got three words for this idea.
:eek :o :| "

Broomie
The Enigma

#3 Post by Broomie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:35 am

Hey I remember Alias. He was the guy who would agree with other people's constructive criticism over somebody's work and add "Yeah, it sucks!"

Here's my first ever post here when AGDI was Tierra back in 2003.
http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtop ... f=3&t=1770

The funny thing is, I was playing KQ2VGA the other day and was having trouble finding possum. Don't worry, I wasn't planning on bumping that thread.

Just goes to show though that we're all noobs at one point. I would have just turned 14 back then. I'm now 21... scary.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:19 am

The game making forum during the forum's heyday was a good example of why it may be a good thing that so many fan ideas never evolve into a game itself.

I think when I still a normal visitor here, I was a lot more naïve and outspoken. I remember the 21-year old me to be among the ones suggesting a QFG4 remake just for the bug fixes. The 29-year old me now thinks the 21-year old me was retarded. :p When I was a freshly appointed moderator, I was also quite a tad more uptight about steering the forum. I guess I became a wee tad more cynical over the years, but also more reserved.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:03 pm

I was just excited to find a) retro-remakes of Sierra games and b) people who loved Sierra games as much as I did. It was a good time and place. I was certainly different - on the mend from a kidney transplant, lot of down time.... plus, the scene was still relatively new then. It was a much more exciting time; people were still amazed by the remakes, filled with wonder and nostalgia and people were brimming with ideas and possibilities. I think time has softened not only our love for nostalgia, but the ambition as well. I don't see many groups sprouting up and making games, and only a very few from back then have even made any games. (Yay for Crystal Shard for making "A Tale of Two Kingdoms") I mean, even Hero6 died a miserable death, and there actually was a LOT of that game done.
Even our little project never got to finishing "Quest For Infamy" which was a fun idea that we all worked like hell on for a long time, but could never congeal the pieces and get it working. Heh, we've been working on Space Quest II for years now, and we are SO very close to being done. (Close enough to taste, literally.) But still, we just don't have the drive and ambition like we used to.

I still love the games, and if I had my way, I'd work on making them all the time. But now I'm married, I work, I have other things to do... not so much time to sit behind the keyboard for hours at a clip, working away on some background, some animation, or some programming sequence. That's life.

My wish is that someone else could take up the mantle, and do it - make their games. I hope it continutes, and I look back in another 10 years with nostalgia for nostalgia. Heh.

Bt