The wizard and the princess and other ancient games

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Seraphina004
Knight Status

The wizard and the princess and other ancient games

#1 Post by Seraphina004 » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:42 am

Do any of you guys remember really old Sierra games like the wizard and the princess? I got it with the King's Quest collection, and I've been playing it. I'm about to finish it, but now I'm stuck in the wizard's castle. I keep getting zapped to the dungeon. I can turn into a snake and get out of the dungeon, but then I ge tlost in the maze of tunnels beyond the dungeon. I need to find a key to unlock the door in that small room, I believe that is where the wizard is keeping the princess. But I've looked all over the castle and can't find a key, I keep getting thrown in the dungeon by the wizard. This is agravating! If any of you remember these games and know how to win, please help me. <p></p><i></i>

fluxmaster
Knight Status

Wizard and the princess

#2 Post by fluxmaster » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:15 am

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon how you look at it), the Wizard and the Princess does have dead ends in it. At this point in the game, you should have a ring in your inventory. If you don't, then you must restart from an earlier part of the game.<br><br>Have you encountered the bull in the castle? Defeating the bull is one of the things that you must do to win the game.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.replinemeadowsoftware.com" target="top">Repline Meadow Software</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>The Fluxmaster <p></p><i></i>

fluxmaster
Knight Status

Adventures in Serenia

#3 Post by fluxmaster » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:28 am

I just took out my copy of "Adventures in Serenia," which is the name of the MS-DOS version of "The Wizard and the Princess," and started playing it, and I just realized that I did not answer your question.<br><br>You will, of course, need to defeat the boar and have the ring in your posession in order to win the game. But to unlock the door you do not need a key. You should have something else in your inventory that you can use to get past the door.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.replinemeadowsoftware.com" target="top">Repline Meadow Software</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>The Fluxmaster <p></p><i></i>

Seraphina004
Knight Status

> Adventures in Serenia

#4 Post by Seraphina004 » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:15 pm

I have both the ring and the shoes, but I'm not sure how to use them, what is the right command? It's so aggravating becasue it seesm to be that everything I type in is wrong! Good to know I don't need a key to get past the door. Do you know where I can get a walk through? I'll keep trying. yes I have defeated the boar. <p></p><i></i>

fluxmaster
Knight Status

Walkthrough

#5 Post by fluxmaster » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:24 pm

Here is a walkthrough (highlight to read):<br><br><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:#006000;">FROM THE VILLAGE:<br>N, E, E, E, E, N, E, N, W, GET ROCK (THIS ONE IS SAFE TO GET),N, W, N, W, N, W,<br>N (YOU ARE NOW BACK AT SNAKE), THROW ROCK, N, DRINK WATER, E, GET STICK (YOU<br>WILL NEED THE STICK TO WARD OFF THE SNAKES THAT PERIODICALLY APPEAR. TYPE THROW<br>STICK AND SNAKE WILL GO AWAY.)<br><br>W, N, THROW STICK, LOOK HOLE, GET NOTE,N, W, LIFT ROCK (THE KING WILL GIVE YOU<br>THE MAGIC WORD 'HISS'), N, GET NOTE, E, GET LOCKET, E, E, S, W, W, LOOK HOLE,<br>GET CRACKER, E, N, N, W, N, W, N (YOU ARE NOW AT THE CHASM).<br><br>SAY HOCUS, N, GO HOUSE, GET APPLE, W, N (YOU WILL SEE A LITTLE GNOME, TYPE 'LOOK<br>GNOME'. HE WILL GRAB SOME OF YOUR STUFF, THIS IS NORMAL.)<br><br>N, E, SAY HISS, GO CREVICE, S, S, S, GET BREAD, GET LOCKET, GET CRACKER, UNLOCK<br>DOOR, OPEN DOOR, GO DOOR, U, GO HOLE, N, E, S, GIVE CRACKER,<br><br>GET VIAL, N, W, S, W, W, THROW BREAD,N, GET ROPE, GO BOAT, USE BLANKET, N, N,<br>DRINK WATER, N, E, E, E, GO BEACH<br><br>N, N, E, GET ANCHOR, W, TIE ROPE, TO ANCHOR, THROW ANCHOR, UP, GET SHOVEL, DOWN,<br>S, S, DIG X, LOOK TREASURE (A PIRATE WILL JUMP OUT, GRAB THE CHEST AND LEAVE,<br>THIS IS O.K.), E, N, W, GO CAVE, OPEN CHEST, LOOK CHEST, GET HARP, N, E, N,<br>DRINK VIAL, FLY NORTH<br><br>N, GET RING, N, W, FOLLOW RAINBOW, GET COIN, N, SAY LUCY, W, W, N, GO CAVE, GET<br>ALL, N, S, W, PLAY HARP (THE GIANT WILL RUN OFF WITH IT.), N, N, BUY HORN, N, N,<br>BLOW HORN (BRIDGE LOWERS), NORTH<br><br>U, E, OPEN CLOSET, LOOK CLOSET, GET SHOES, LOOK SHOES, W, D, W, W, LOOK THRONE<br>(AT THIS POINT YOU WILL 'HEAR AN EVIL LAUGH' AND ARE 'ZAPPED' TO ANOTHER<br>PLACE.), THROW APPLE (BOAR EATS IT), N, E, LOOK CABINET ( YOU WILL BE ZAPPED<br>AGAIN.), PICK LOCK, WITH KNIFE, OPEN DOOR, E, U, D, U, WEAR RING, RUB RING (YOU<br>JUST ATE THE WIZARD! ALL OF HIS MAGIC IS GONE... BURP !), D, E, KISS FROG, WEAR<br>SHOES, SAY WHOOSH, TALK, ..... YOU WON !!!!!!!!!<br><br> BROUGHT TO YOU BY.....<br> DOCTOR FLORA</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--><br><br>But if you want just a hint, look through your inventory and find something that can be used to pick a lock.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.replinemeadowsoftware.com" target="top">Repline Meadow Software</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>The Fluxmaster <p></p><i></i>

Seraphina004
Knight Status

> Walkthrough

#6 Post by Seraphina004 » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:37 am

Thank you so much Fluxmaster! I finally rescued the princess and finished the game. Thanks to Doctor Flora also, whoever she is. <p></p><i></i>

fluxmaster
Knight Status

KQ0VGA???

#7 Post by fluxmaster » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:33 am

You're most welcome. The walkthrough actually has a slight error in the first part, but it is obvious once you notice it.<br><br>A thought occured to me that, since the Wizard and the Princess and Kings Quest V both take place in Serenia, Tierra or someone else might consider doing a VGA remake of the Wizard and the Princess, borrowing some of the backgrounds from Kings Quest V. (They could be modified slightly to avoid copyright problems.) The main character could be King Edward the Benelovent. I'm sure that this would be a low priority, but it was just a thought.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.replinemeadowsoftware.com" target="top">Repline Meadow Software</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>The Fluxmaster <p></p><i></i>

cassie pink
Peasant Status

Hey, that WAS a great idea!!!

#8 Post by cassie pink » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:40 pm

Yeah, I guess it would be cool if the hero in 'The Wizard and the Princess' was King Edward the Benevolent and the princess, his future queen. It would be like a prequel to the King's Quest series. <p></p><i></i>

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#9 Post by Klytos » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:23 pm

would be a good prequal (star wars style) to kq1...good idea. BT, next project has beeen sleected