The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

#2051 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:37 am

Are Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy part of the same series?

Yeah I got Brutal for 20 bucks, down from the 60 it was originally here. The RTS can be strange, I've only done a few so far. The controls are a bit strange but I'm getting used to it and the concept behind those bits is just awesome enough for me to overlook the problems. There are action parts, I'm kind of glad the whole game isn't though, as a hack and slash I think it would get old fast.
I love free roaming in it, and the side quests (I'm an optimistic gamer and will judge a game on it's minigames and side features, which is how I played Final Fantasy 12 for 150 hours without touching the plot) and the RTS and even any parts that could be considered 'dungeon crawling' are short enough that they never feel like a chore.
I'm biased though, I love Tim Schafer and Jack Black's humour, I love heavy metal, I love driving really really fast and I love hunting around beautiful landscapes for hidden objects.
To me the game is excellent. It tries something new, it's not afraid to have fun and it moves as fast or as slow as you'd like. But I'm not a game critic, and I'll admit I've loved some strange games. So I'd say try it out as a demo or rent if you're afraid to gamble on your 20 bucks.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2052 Post by Brainiac » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Lady Pyro wrote:Are Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy part of the same series?
Heavy Rain is the spiritual successor to Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. Think of it as BioShock to System Shock.

And LP? You are not metal. Brütal Legend!

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#2053 Post by Lady Pyro » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:31 am

I have no idea how to get my keyboard to make an umlaut, but I love to say umlaut.
Umlaut.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#2054 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Try holding the Alt key and typing 0252 on your keypad.

ü

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#2055 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:44 pm

System Shock. I had the first on on CD years ago. Been looking for it for ages and can't find it anywhere. That was a neat game. I'd really like to finish it someday. Never played SS2 but heard it was like the scariest game ever.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2056 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:31 pm

Played Fahrenheit back in the day and loved it. Waiting till I finish FFXIII before making another purchase tho.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#2057 Post by DrJones » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:28 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:System Shock. I had the first on on CD years ago. Been looking for it for ages and can't find it anywhere. That was a neat game. I'd really like to finish it someday. Never played SS2 but heard it was like the scariest game ever.
The Two System Shocks are freeware now, the programmers released them for free. I played the first one, but I've yet to play System Shock 2.

MusicallyInspired

#2058 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 pm

What? Really? Is it the CD version of the first? Where can I download them? Officially that is.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#2059 Post by DrJones » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:35 pm

I could no longer find the downloads in the official page, but found the following post in other forum:

"And I can see how that peaked your curiosity. But I guess something indeed happened. One of the biggest sites for abandonware released it as free, where before it didn't consider it so; I realized after exploring your comment a bit that no one is "selling" it, and that the company that developed it encouraged fans to download it for free as long as they could keep their servers up, as someone else wanted rights to the name only."

It looks like the company (looking glass) was going to lose their rights on the name and chose to give the games for free as long as they were legally entitled to do so.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2060 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:21 pm

I told the fiance to get Heavy Rain for the next time I see her and she said something along the lines of "No I still have to start God of War II and III and Bioshock 2" so it looks like I'll be buying it for "her" and waking up when she goes to bed so I can play it.

MusicallyInspired

#2061 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Hahaha, great. I actually bought the GOW collection (1 and 2) for the PS3 along with GOW3 after I bought Heavy Rain and played through those games first while my wife played Heavy Rain. I finished all 3 games and then started Heavy Rain and beat that before my wife was finished. And she played quite frequently too. But I played all day...

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2062 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:16 pm

ya, my lady got the collection too, she really liked Heavenly Sword when she got it with the system so I recommended GoW. My future roommate has already discussed playing Indigo Prophecy on my Xbox next year too.

MusicallyInspired

#2063 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:44 pm

I tried the demo of Heavenly Sword but it isn't the same. Seems like it takes forever to kill an enemy. Wasn't near as fun as GOW.

I'm starting Indigo Prophecy now. I bought it as an XBox Original title on the 360's game marketplace.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#2064 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:39 am

Still playing Brütal Legend, and now I have a handle on the RTCF part of it (that's real time cluster f*ck, as strategy seems a bit moot) and I have to say, screw the critics, I think it's great! Now that I've got the controls, I'm really really enjoying that part of the game. Not quite as much as driving around with the music turned up really loud, but still quite a bit.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2065 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:14 am

I think this game really should have either had Guitar Hero support or a tie in song for owning the game. How cool would that be if you were to drop a duece by switching controllers or if you got a code to unlock Tenacious D songs on GH:World Tour. Missed potential if you ask me.

MusicallyInspired

#2066 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:23 pm

Well, maybe that might have happened if ActiVision published the game like they were originally going to, but after they switched to EA and ActiVision made such a stink about it (because they thought it would be a an outseller to Guitar Hero) I think all chances of something like that went out the window at that time...

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#2067 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:15 pm

That would have been fantastic! Activision almost screwed the whole project over tho, so I don't blame team Brütal for not leashing themselves to them.
I really wish critics hadn't panned this game. I know, I'm so super biased and I enjoy strange games anyway but I would have loved to see this get the praise I think it deserves. And I don't agree with a lot of Yahtzee's complaints about it. I mean, if you play for more then 10 minutes you know what Motorforge is, and if you take them time to get used to the controls rather then throwing a fit and giving up right away, the RTCF can be so much fun!
But yeah, I'm ranting to a wall now I know. What's done is done and hopefully Schafer wont take this hit too hard and will continue to make games that are inventive and original. I'm glad this wasn't just Psychonauts with Jack Black, he tried something completely different and the results speak for themselves, whether you consider that good or bad.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2068 Post by Brainiac » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:24 am

Lady Pyro wrote:That would have been fantastic! Activision almost screwed the whole project over tho, so I don't blame team Brütal for not leashing themselves to them.
<returns LP's "Trüly Metal" membership card>

Much better. :D

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#2069 Post by Lady Pyro » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:15 pm

Finally! I was starting to miss my Iced Earth and Fintroll!

I'm going to be honest, I couldn't get the umlaut to work on my keyboard so I've just been copying them from your post.
But shhhh don't tell!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2070 Post by Brainiac » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm

For those of you unfamiliar with Capcom's method of introducing new and upcoming titles to the consumers, the company holds its own trade show called Captivate rather than wait for an industry-wide show like E3. 2010's Captivate has already revealed some nice upcoming tidbits for your gaming pleasures. I've put three of note here:

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Ōkamiden

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2071 Post by Brainiac » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Hey Lady Pyro, remember how I said you'd get Alan Wake rather than Heavy Rain for the console's artistic thriller mystery title? Well, you're getting another one, too.

It's official. Gray Matter will not only be out this year, it will be out for PC and Xbox 360. Go to the all-new website for details.

MusicallyInspired

#2072 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Sweet! I can play this! My PC is so old and aging it certainly won't play any new games. But that's ok. That's why I got consoles.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#2073 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat May 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Brainiac wrote:Hey Lady Pyro, remember how I said you'd get Alan Wake rather than Heavy Rain for the console's artistic thriller mystery title? Well, you're getting another one, too.

It's official. Gray Matter will not only be out this year, it will be out for PC and Xbox 360. Go to the all-new website for details.

This is exciting! Don't tell the Nova Scotian Government but I think part of my Student Loan may be sacrificed to this!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2074 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon May 10, 2010 9:21 am

I put down money for an Alan Wake pre order the other day. Putting aside time for it in my schedule.

Broomie
The Enigma

Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison

#2075 Post by Broomie » Fri May 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Well, I finally gave in and got myself a PS3. Just downloading latest firmware and stuff and off to play some Heavy Rain. My own little personal gift for finishing university. Going to step into the virtual world before I step into the real world.
Last edited by Broomie on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.