The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

#2101 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:38 pm

seraphimdreamer777 wrote:Hey brain have you heard anything about Reggie getting in trouble with Nintendo about saying an early release date of 3DS. Cause I heard on another forum he got in trouble for saying March of next year when it's not gonna be released for another 2 years.
In trouble? No. Mistaken about the release timing? Yes.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#2102 Post by Lady Pyro » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Brainiac wrote:LP, I have an official release date for you. Scott Pilgrim will be on XBLA as of August 25th.
:: Seizures ::
This is exciting to me. I'm not sure if you could tell.

Also, I missed the release party for the last book. Baaah stupid school and lack of funds.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#2103 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:54 pm

I discovered there was actually a demo for Star Trek Online so I went ahead and downloaded it. It doesn't let you do much. In fact it's pretty lame for a 5-day trial. All it lets you do is the beginning tutorial sections and then the first mission and then you're left wandering around that first block of sector space with the only place you can go being the Sol system (where there are no enemies). Around 2 hours of gameplay and then you're locked out of everything for 5 days. You can't even visit your own bridge.

But besides all that, I was really wanting to know if my computer could run it since it recommends a minimum of a dual core processor and an ATI X1800 and I only have a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz (single core w/hyperthreading) with an ATI X1650. It works well enough on stick-man mode, however (near lowest possible settings). So I might actually pick it up. Does anybody here have it? (and if so, do you have any 10-day buddy passes :D)

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#2104 Post by DrJones » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:35 pm

I have bought enough Star Trek games to know that they all disappoint. The only one that I enjoyed was the Star Trek: The Next Generation graphic adventure, which was awesome. The graphic adventures about the original series were kinda fun, too, but they were a nightmare to install and to play, with some puzzles competing with the ones from KQ1 for the "worst ever" title; they also had alternate solutions, though, which made them easier, except for the kobayashi-maru arcade stage at the end of the game, which was near impossible to win. All in all, I think George Lucas makes better starwars games than Paramount Star Trek games. Same with the movies.

MusicallyInspired

#2105 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:06 am

Here's a question, Brain. Is Red Dead Redemption's gameplay and storytelling closer in style to Elder Scrolls (minus its RPG elements) or Grand Theft Auto? It sounds very interesting but if it's nothing more than a sandbox game I'm not interested.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2106 Post by Brainiac » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:33 am

Well, in a sense, both Elder Scrolls and GTA are "just" sandboxes. However, if you're asking if there's a significant amount of plot and character development, I'd say yes. That's actually one point some people have held as a slight problem with the game - since the plotline for James Marston is quite redemptive and overall "good," being an overt criminal in the rest of the sandbox kinda makes the game feel rather schizophrenic. Still, the joking term "Grand Theft Horse" is not without its merits.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#2107 Post by Spikey » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:02 pm

Well. Just bought Starcraft 2: Collector's Edition as one of the first people on the planet. Waited two hours in front of the doors of the stores, which opened at midnight. There was also a goodie bag with a T-shirt, a poster, stickers, etc.

MusicallyInspired

#2108 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:34 pm

Space Quest 1, 2, and 3 are now released on Good Old Games. It should be noted that in this release they include the AGI version of Space Quest 1 rather than the remake!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2109 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:48 pm

For quite a while now, I've wondered who could really utilize the core functionality of the DS in a new and perhaps innovative fashion. Most games just use the second screen as a menu or map of sorts. Some games get creative with the on-the-side book-like format as seen in Hotel Dusk or Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword. As is typical of most gaming technology, it's when the writing is on the wall that the really great stuff comes out. This may be the first title I've seen where each screen is basically independent of the other and the real challenge comes from paying attention to two separate visual inputs. It's basically the Ikaruga/Link to the Past/MP2: Echoes formula but with immediacy, something you can only in a practical fashion with a dual-visual system like the DS.

I give you all Fractured Soul.

MusicallyInspired

#2110 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Nice! That actually looks quite neat :).

Chief
Knight Status

#2111 Post by Chief » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:07 am

Fractured Soul looks awesome, thank you!!!
Brainiac wrote:For quite a while now, I've wondered who could really utilize the core functionality of the DS in a new and perhaps innovative fashion. Most games just use the second screen as a menu or map of sorts. Some games get creative with the on-the-side book-like format as seen in Hotel Dusk or Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword. As is typical of most gaming technology, it's when the writing is on the wall that the really great stuff comes out. This may be the first title I've seen where each screen is basically independent of the other and the real challenge comes from paying attention to two separate visual inputs. It's basically the Ikaruga/Link to the Past/MP2: Echoes formula but with immediacy, something you can only in a practical fashion with a dual-visual system like the DS.

I give you all Fractured Soul.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2112 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2113 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:01 pm

Loving the Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: The Game on PSN at the minute, its an old school 8bit style beat'em up like Final Fight and Streets of Rage, totally awesome! The soundtrack is by a chiptune rock band aswell! Check it out!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2114 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Another little tidbit from the GamesCom...the Epic Mickey Intro Cinematic.

Behold!

In addition, let it be known to all that the Scrapper Mickey concept was NOT removed due to focus testing. Indeed, Spector himself pretty much said changing elements of a game due to focus group response is the last thing he'd ever do.

MusicallyInspired

#2115 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:29 pm

So is Scrapper Mickey still in then? I don't have time to watch the video right now.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2116 Post by Brainiac » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:42 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:So is Scrapper Mickey still in then? I don't have time to watch the video right now.
Nope. In Spector's opinion, someone came up with a better idea for showing the player's alignment choices than modifying The Mouse.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#2117 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:52 pm

I need THIS explained to me right now.
Tycho, Max, Heavy and Strongbad all together.
Oooo I have shivers.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#2118 Post by gamecreator » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:35 pm

I was just gonna share that. Please PLEASE let it NOT be a puzzle game or something similarly weak.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#2119 Post by DrJones » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:58 pm

I bet it will be a software bundle in the style of The Orange Box. :p

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#2120 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm not sure how well Heavy would fit into a puzzle game, but I would probably play it just to see how it works :P. I'm kind of wondering if it's a prank and when the lights are flicked on it's going to be four completely unrelated characters in costumes. I hope not, but I just can't see Tycho interacting with Strongbad. I WANT to see it, I just can't wrap my head around it.

Dr. Jones: I hope not, It does say New Game and I will be disappointed if that's a lie.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2121 Post by Brainiac » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:48 am

Lady Pyro wrote:I need THIS explained to me right now.
I'm afraid I'm too busy to explain now. Perhaps by next Thursday? :p

Anyways, one theory I've heard that kinda has some credence is a card game collection, kinda like Sierra's old Hoyle titles. Telltale did put out a Texas Hold 'em title and the Heavy and Tycho could possibly be holding playing cards in the trailer...

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#2122 Post by Lady Pyro » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Oh no, I hate card games! The only reason I used to play Hoyle was to leave them sitting around to read the dialogue.
This theory is really probable, and really sucky.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#2123 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:56 pm

MusicallyInspired

#2124 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:26 pm

I, for one, am really excited about this game. I wish I had the $5.00 in my paypal so I could preorder it!

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#2125 Post by Lady Pyro » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:47 pm

Brainiac wrote:Sorry, Lady Pyro.
:cry