The Official "Take this job and shove it" Thread

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#26 Post by Klytos » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:29 pm

Chunky. :lol

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#27 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:56 am

*Puts down shovel*
Pfewww! That was hard work!

Anyhow, I get to work this morning, and I'm greeted by no fewer than 3 supervisors:
"Just the person we were looking for!"
"Umm... what did I do?"
"Just get changed and come see me."
"Okay"

So I get my uniform on and walk back to the shop. I'm greeted by one of my co-workers:
"Joe wants to see you." (Joe is yet another supervisor.)
"What about?"
"I dunno. He just said to send you up as soon as I saw you."
"Oh, great..."

So I'm thinking I'm in for it about something, but when I get up there, I find out that a piece of equipment is on the fritz, and I'm the only one that knows how to fix it. (Keep in mind I've only worked at this place just slightly over 3 months.)

It takes several hours, and I get very dirty, but I eventually get the machine up and running. I have no idea how much money this saved the company. Before I started working for them, they'd call in contractors from Dallas (about 5 or 6 hours away). I'm sure the contractors themselves are expensive, but the downtime caused by the broken machine would have cost the company in the thousands.

While working on the machine, I came up with a better way to set it up. I removed a few parts that weren't actually needed. Each of these cost about $2000, thus saving nearly $5000 off the cost of the machine. My method will also make the machine run better, with less chances that it will mess up again.

By the end of the day, I had several supervisors and managers smiling from ear to ear. One of them who hadn't really liked me before told me he thought I was "the man".

So, today I managed to fix something, and save the company thousands upon thousands of dollars. Not only that, I'm the only one who knows how I set up the machine, which means I'm the only one who can troubleshoot it and fix it if it breaks again. Can anyone say "Job Security"?

Snarky
Royal Servant Status

#28 Post by Snarky » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:04 am

I just got a new job. My first one, really. I'll be starting in a couple of weeks.

I don't think it will suck.

I'll be working for a big tech company, doing research and development type stuff. In pretty much every way it's my dream job. Cool tasks, good pay, nice co-workers.

Now I know why I stayed in school. :D

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#29 Post by Swift » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:02 am

Congrats to you both, Navynuke and Snarky.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#30 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:44 am

Wow thats lucky Navy, what kind of machine can have parts removed and work even better?

Did you ask the company why thet spent $$$$ on parts that werent needed?

Also wouldnt the company lose their warrenty on the machine if parts have been removed?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#31 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:06 am

Angelus3K wrote:What kind of machine can have parts removed and work even better?

Did you ask the company why thet spent $$$$ on parts that werent needed?

Also wouldnt the company lose their warrenty on the machine if parts have been removed?
Well, it's kind of complicated to explain the machine.

They spent money, because they didn't know any better.

The machine is already out of warranty. That's why they've been having to pay those contractors to come up from Dallas to look at it.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#32 Post by Peter Swinkels » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:09 pm

I work for a company that manages (installing, uninstalling, replacing, fixing and ordering computers for example) computers for other companies. My job is mostly erasing the hard disks of old/broken computers and help archive the information about all computers. I also do some programming and other tasks.

I like my job and after having been without a job for about 18 months I am more than happy to just have a job. Some of the tasks are things I like to do, computer programming for example. Some of the tasks are things I would rather not do such as help unpack 50 computers and sort all the extra stuff that comes with them (manual, mouse, installation cd for example.)

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#33 Post by Senor Matt » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:05 am

Just what does this machine of yours do anyway that makes it so important Navy?

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#34 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:17 am

ahhh ... the days of working at that eternal pit of damnation known as Sears.

yesterday, at my school's organizational fair, (i was there with my fraternity), i ran into this guy that had worked in electronics. he and i had always flirted back and forth while i worked there. anyhoo, i was talking to him, and telling him my tale of how i got fired. he then told me they had cut him back to 5 hours a week, and it's like, yup, you're next. sucks to be him. Sears in general sucks. i still flip them the bird every time i pass the store. no, i'm not bitter .............

Jafar
Super Star

#35 Post by Jafar » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:31 am

Maybe it's a coffee machine.

Klytos

#36 Post by Klytos » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:13 am

I still flip the bird to my old high school when I drive past. 10 years later it still makes me feel better....

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#37 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:30 pm

Klitos wrote:I still flip the bird to my old high school when I drive past. 10 years later it still makes me feel better....
10 years? 10? Don't lie to the people Klitos, you know it's more like 28. :lol

Klytos

#38 Post by Klytos » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:50 am

Nope, 10 years this year. Went to the bloody reunion. Was shit. Still, it was a nice feeling being better than a lot of the "cool" people.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#39 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:32 am

Senor Matt wrote:Just what does this machine of yours do anyway that makes it so important Navy?
Imagine an industrial size ink jet printer. We were set up to use 4 separate printing heads. I figured out a way to reduce it down to 2 heads. Because there are less heads to keep lined up with each other, the quality comes out better.

Someone told me today that it was costing them $1600 to have one of those heads rebuilt.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

I got a job!!!! I FINALLY got a job!!!

#40 Post by Senor Matt » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:51 pm

I know we all like to whine and complain about our crappy jobs when we have them. But you certainly do miss them when you don't have one, and for more reasons than just that you're broke. Laying around the house because you have nothing else to do gets old after a while.

But that is finally all in the past for me. After a much-longer-than-expected time of resume submitting and interviewing I FINALLY got offered a job this morning at a group home working with abused kids, and the pay is even a little more than I thought it would be. There's just no exhilaration quite like getting a good job after months of unemployment. I just feel like grinning from ear to ear. :D :D :D

And hey, look at that, I'm a Royal Servant now! No more pesantry for me bucko!!! Could this day get any better? Yay for me!!! :D :D ;)