Sierra Oakhurst facility

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Cumboy
Peasant Status

Sierra Oakhurst facility

#1 Post by Cumboy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:53 am

My travels will soon take me to California and I wish to make a pilgrimage to where Sierra's old Oakhurst offices were I will pay my respects. >D

Have any other forum members been there before? If so is the building itself still there? Not that it matters, the site where the Sierra magic took place will be enough for me. Oh and also I used to know the name of the distinctive mountain that featured in the Sierra logo but I forget what it is....I've gotta see it to and snap a few pictures of it from that famous angle. I think I remember Erpy mentioning something about it though perhaps I'm wrong.... :\

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:42 am

I've only been in Oakhurst for one evening; we spent the night there and moved on. It was a pretty place though. I haven't seen the old Sierra site myself.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:33 am

The mountain is called Half-Dome, ins't it?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:02 am

Perhaps we should start a donation so that Cumboy could place a flower from each of us on the main building's doorstep.

(Man, they're gonna think you're weird! :) )

Cumboy
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Cumboy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:25 am

Erpy wrote:I've only been in Oakhurst for one evening; we spent the night there and moved on. It was a pretty place though. I haven't seen the old Sierra site myself.

When was that Erpy?

Did you see the Half Dome?

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#6 Post by Swift » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:22 pm

Have a safe and fun trip!

Cumboy
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Cumboy » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:35 am

If anyone would like I'll get some pics of the old site and post em here when I get back

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#8 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:37 am

Please do. :)

(Perhaps you could mail it to Ken Williams to sign for you. :) )

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Renodox » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:05 pm

I have been to the old Sierra building but it was before they shut down (they were preparing to, however). I even got to see a tour and get a behind the scenes look at King's Quest 7. In the end I got a CD with music from Sierra games. As for if the building is there anymore... I don't know. Oh, and the name of the mountain in the Sierra logo is Half Dome. I've seen that before and my father has been on the top of it.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#10 Post by Klytos » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:06 am

If anyone would like I'll get some pics of the old site and post em here when I get back
Yes Please!

Cumboy
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Cumboy » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:08 am

Great! I'll take a few pics with my digital and get them up as soon as I can. I also plan to climb the Half-Dome.

Rico Len
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Rico Len » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:04 am

I live about 15 minutes from Oakhurst. And being a big fan of Sierra and know they started out in Oakhurst I drove up there one day and looked around for the building... I found it. there's a small plaque on the wall below the pizza hut and brawns ice cream stores The building is on a hill and two stories tall, stores on top vacant building below on what is considered the back side. The plaque just comemorates the startup date of Sierra and the day they closed their doors in Oakhurst.
Great! I'll take a few pics with my digital and get them up as soon as I can. I also plan to climb the Half-Dome
Good luck on the walk btw... I forget how many miles it is, but from the valley floor to the top and back down is more than a 16 hour hike for most people. It's a great hike to make though. My brother does it from time to time and has taken pictures... maybe one day my lazy ass will do it too! :p

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#13 Post by Swift » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:16 am

Welcome to the forums, Rico Len.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#14 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:58 am

i feel so..candian i dind't even know oakhurst was in cali or that yosemite was even a place! any ways as the new pic of swift said (which is cool btw but i like the old one more) welcome to the boards Rico and the 16 hour hike would be cool. I never liked the logo much simply because it was a little hard to make out if you look really close. That was my pop in for the week even though i skipped last week. Think of this post as a dissapointing easter egg. see you guys next week where i will be a nerd full time again after summer school which ends on friday.

Cumboy
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Cumboy » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:28 am

Departing for the U.S tomorrow. The pilgrimage to Oakhurst begins....

Yeah I'm aware how long the hike takes. Got it all organised with travel agent. Didn't divulge my motivation for it though, didn't want to come across as....hmm.

Anyone else reply if they want me to discover anything else on my trip.

Cumboy
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Cumboy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:38 am

In California now!

Climbed the Half-Dome!

Saw the Oakhurst site!

YEAH!

more to come....

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by Jenkins Loo » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:42 pm

Rico Len wrote:I live about 15 minutes from Oakhurst. And being a big fan of Sierra and know they started out in Oakhurst I drove up there one day and looked around for the building... I found it.
Was it possible to visit the building of Sierra? It would be good if someone would perhaps visit inside.