QfG3 Khatib + Vines

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

QfG3 Khatib + Vines

#1 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:38 am

I'm playing QfG3 for the third time, this time as a Paladin (1st-thief/mage, 2nd mage/thief) and I've run into a couple slight snags. The big 7 point problem I'm having is that I can't get Khatib, the Survivor of the peace mission, to appear at the inn. On my first two runs, he showed up on or before the day I was going to look for him. Is there a certain trigger for his appearance and is there a limited window of opportunity to see him? I've already dispelled the leopard"man" but haven't talked to the chief about it yet. Khatib wasn't showing up before I dispelled either though.

As for the venemous vines, there is supposedly a way for the fighter/paladin to "knock over the venemous vine fruit" for 5 points. I've just had a theory that the shield will do the trick but I saved the meerbat days ago and the vines are permenantly gone. Am I correct on this?

Cumboy
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Cumboy » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:10 am

I must say the Khatib appearance occurs a few days after you journey to the Simbani village. Not sure what the actual catalyst is but it seems to happen around then.

I can help you with the Vine fruit prob though :)

When you visit the vines an adult Meerbat tries to get some fruit and fails. Soon after the young Meerbat attempts the same task but gets caught in the vines. When this happen disrupt the vines (by either throwing a rock or clicking your sword on the vines). The vines will retreat into the ground and the Meerbat will be saved.
When you return next the young Meerbat will be waiting for you with several gifts, one of them being the fruit you require. This is the fighter/paladin solution to the problem. I'm really not sure if it is possible for the fruit to knock the fruit from the vines with the fighter/paladin. I have read many online walkthroughs (oh and I also have the original published hintbook) and none of these mention it. Look at it this way, I have obtained full points as a fighter/paladin and I never knocked the fruit myself from the vines.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:02 am

Yes, this is the fighter/paladin solution. Another solution wouldn't grant you the opal, which you need to open the door in the lost city. (getting the opal in the statue near the door requires climbing skill or fetch and the fighter posesses neither of those skills)

The appearance of the survivor is unknown to me as well, but he was usually there when I returned to Tarna after visiting the Simbani village. There may be some other triggers...(getting the gem from the guardian or agreeing to meet with Harami)

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Jenkins Loo » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:23 pm

I think I know how to meet Khatib but patience is needed. You have to come at the inn almost every night ( don't do it twice a day, it won't be useful ) and ask the waitress about the rumors if the survivor is coming or will come to the inn. I don't know how many nights you'll need but when you'll talk to her about then say "farewell" to her, she'll go and Khatib will come. Save your game before talking to him; he might stop talking if he's tired and you won't earn the missing points.

Maybe I could describe him...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:32 pm

I think I know how to meet Khatib but patience is needed. You have to come at the inn almost every night ( don't do it twice a day, it won't be useful ) and ask the waitress about the rumors if the survivor is coming or will come to the inn. I don't know how many nights you'll need but when you'll talk to her about then say "farewell" to her, she'll go and Khatib will come. Save your game before talking to him; he might stop talking if he's tired and you won't earn the missing points.
Asking about the survivor prior to his arrival may trigger him. You'll know he'll appear if the middle table has 2 free seats instead of one. Once you say farewell to Janna, he'll arrive.

You only get points for asking about a certain topic. (peace mission, I think) Once you exhaust all branches of this topic, the survivor will go quiet and won't talk about any other subjects. (although the peace mission is the main one)

Someone tells you a rumor about a ghost walking the second plateau at night after Khatib passes away, but I never got to confirm this rumor. Note that Khatib will die the day after you talk to him.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: QfG3 Khatib + Vines

#6 Post by Brainiac » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:20 am

Schloss Ritter wrote:As for the venemous vines, there is supposedly a way for the fighter/paladin to "knock over the venemous vine fruit" for 5 points. I've just had a theory that the shield will do the trick but I saved the meerbat days ago and the vines are permenantly gone. Am I correct on this?
This is actually a screw-up on the part of the official Sierra hintbook that has been compounded by many online walkthroughs. The 5 points is actually what you get for knocking over the fruit in Tarna to stop Harami. Of course, you cannot get these points in combination with the 8 for running after Harami, thus creating the reason only Paladins can acquire a full 500 points in the game (without hacked corrections, of course).

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#7 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:36 am

Ah that explains the hint error; I did get the 5 foints for knocking over the fruit. However, I only did that because chasing after him didn't give me the 8 points I earned chasing after him with the other classes.

I know about the empty seat showing Khatib is ready to talk - sorry for not mentioning that. I have spent 10+ game days looking for that empty seat, heh. Is the ghost rumor told by Janna Jamil (at the inn)? According to the information I'm using, her's is the only dialogue tree to change after he dies. Right now her rumor is something about dead cattle. It changed from the original tree for no apparent reason a few days ago. Possibly the "First visit after Simbani Village" tree now.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:50 am

No, I believe the ghost's rumor is told by the money changer.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#9 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:06 am

Well, the money changer's and other sellers' rumors seem to be about the leopardmen at the moment. Can Khatib even die without you ever seeing him?

Also, are Paladins also supposed to get 8 points for following the thief without trying to stop him? I also lose honor for not trying to stop him, which is restored when I defend Rakeesh before Rajah.

Stranger and stranger...

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Jenkins Loo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:09 pm

There are many ways to stop the thief:
- Running after him ( I think it's the best way )
- Cast Fire Dart at him ( the council won't appreciate very much )
- You throw a knife to him ( I don't remember what happens that way )
- Using your hands, you push the basket of fruits; the thief slips on the fruits and falls ( None is happy about the way you stop the thief, Rakeesh will pay the damage for you and it doesn't brings many points but a lot funny! ) You must watch the fruit merchant figure! When you talk to him after meeting the council, he doesn't complain about anything! Too bad... He could have refused bargainning his fruits or any bad reactions like that.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#11 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:27 pm

Right, running after him is supposed to be the best option for any class (8 points), but as I said my Paladin didn't get anything chasing and lost honor also. The knife and the fruit give the usual points. I've even tried importing different characters as paladins with the same results. Anyone have QfG3 installed and some old heroes that can verify this?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:59 am

The problem with getting the 8 points for chasing Harami drove me crazy for a while too. Eventually, I solved it with sheer dumb luck and I must say, the answer made me feel quite foolish for not realizing the obvious. Just a warning...

To successfully gain 8 points for chasing Harami, you must...
[spoiler]...change the Hero to Run mode.[/spoiler]

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#13 Post by Schloss Ritter » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:05 am

Doh, having just played the game through 2 times previously, I was just skimming the walkthrough for stuff different for this class. I had wrongly remembered getting points for just walking after him with the other classes, but now I recall having to run.

Well, seeing as I'm already halfway through the game (plotwise) and have already maxed out most of my stats (tedious), I might as well forget about looking for Khatib. I'm not going to get full points without starting over anyway. :\

Thanks to all for the help. :D

Cumboy
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Cumboy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:17 am

Oh and while we're giving out QFG3 hints I'm having probs as a Paladin getting the Johari/lepoardman prisoner to appear. Is there any particular catalyst that triggers her capture when playing Paladin/fighter? Its day 24 and it usually occurs by this time :(

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:24 am

It's not dependant on the day. As a fighter/paladin you should have challenged Uhura in both the spear throwing area and the bridge area. If that happened, the prisoner will appear.

Cumboy
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Cumboy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:29 am

Ahh ok..

Thanks Erpy :)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

P{oints

#17 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:49 pm

Schloss Ritter wrote:I'm not going to get full points without starting over anyway. :\
You're not going to get full points period, unless your character is a Paladin. There are 2 point glitches for Fighter/Paladin and 1 for Wizard/Thief. The Paladin, just as in QfG4, is given an overabundance of points, so it's possible to offset the errors. However, if you did indeed miss Khatib, the Paladin will end up with less than 500 points.