Announcement: The Adventure Wiki is open for business

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

Announcement: The Adventure Wiki is open for business

#1 Post by Charlemagne » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:24 pm

I've finally finished tweaking my latest project and it's time to announce it: The Adventure Wiki.

For those of you who don't know, a wiki web is a set of publically editable web pages. Anyone from anywhere can add or change content. While I was browsing the Wikipedia I wondered if the same thing might work in the adventure game community. Hopefully, the answer is yes. :)

Articles and info about anything and everything are needed and anyone is welcome to contribute. Your fan remake (KQ3 anyone? :)). Plot synopses. AGS. Interactive fiction. Adventure gaming in general. That juicy bit of trivia you've been saving for a rainy day. Even off-topic stuff is OK. And you can add to or correct anything you feel like.

I'm starting this out on a trial basis for one very big and thorny issue: vandalism. Because wiki webs are such an open platform there will always be people who abuse them. If I find myself spending too much time fixing problems I'll just delete it.

Have fun!

The Adventure Wiki: http://daemonroot.homeunix.org/adv_wiki

Snarky
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by Snarky » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:38 am

Wouldn't it be better to submit articles about adventure gaming to the Wikipedia, where they'll be accessible to a larger audience?

Of course, articles that aren't of general interest (details about specific AGS games etc.) would be very appropriate for a more specialized wiki like this.

It's a cool idea. I've done a bit of wiki-ing lately, and been toying with the idea of writing about adventure games. Actually, I have an article about adventure game interfaces that I wrote a while back and which might be appropriate. Hmm...

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#3 Post by Charlemagne » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:21 am

Yeah, I thought about that but if I just wrote articles for Wikipedia I wouldn't need to set up my own wiki web. I could never turn down the opportunity to do something so geeky. :D

Contribute, don't contribute, it's up to you. :)

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#4 Post by KKuhlman » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:28 pm

Hmh, would have missed the whole thread if I wouldn't have gone trough the random rants.. Anyway, the site looks good so far, now we just need to fill it with articles.. And maybe mention it somewhere else too so it will get more attention.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Publicity

#5 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:31 am

Soulblighter wrote:And maybe mention it somewhere else too so it will get more attention.
I'd recommend Just Adventure +.