Free Domain Name

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

Free Domain Name

#1 Post by Music Head » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:04 am

Does anyone know where i can get a free domain name from. I want it to be something like www.funnystuff.co.biz or something. For example www.funnystuff.tk us a site and i want a domain name like that but of course with a different ending.

Thanks

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#2 Post by Swift » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:15 am

One way to find websites that offer free domain names is to use the search engine and key in the words "free domain name". Here're two websites I found just by using that method.

http://www.free-domain-names-online.co.uk/ (not too sure if it's really free)

http://www.glowhost.com/free-domain-nam ... ration.php

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Music Head » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:26 am

It appears that both sites requirer some payment somewhere along the registration. But thanks anyway Swift

PS. Cool WarcraftIII pic

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#4 Post by Swift » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:36 am

Thanks for the compliment. Good luck in your search for free domain names. You could try to get a free redirect domain name.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by Music Head » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:30 am

Whats the difference between redirect domain and domain name?

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#6 Post by Swift » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:20 am

Redirecting a Domain is where someone attempts to go to one domain name, and is automatically sent to another domain. This is a method of having several addresses directed to the same domain. A domain name is simply the main part of the url.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#7 Post by Charlemagne » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:11 am

Go to http://www.dyndns.org/. They provide up to five free domain names when you register an account. I've used them since 2002 and have had no problems. Of course, you are restricted to choosing hostnames from within the domains they've registered, but there's a pretty good selection.

On the other hand, if you want complete control over your domain and don't mind paying a small fee, go to ICANN and look up an accredited domain name registrar for your home country.

EDIT: DynDNS.org also provides name redirection.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by Music Head » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:56 am

Thanks tones guys

But the website you gave me Charlemagne seems to have errors. Wheneva i do somthing it takes me straight back to login even though i am. So i'm still searching for an free domain.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#9 Post by Charlemagne » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:34 pm

You did create the account first, didn't you? Click the "Account" tab then the "Create Account" link.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by Music Head » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:21 am

Yeah, of coarse i did it said "you are looked in as: MEMU" and than it started with the login screen. And then if logged in it said you are already logged in. I even refreshed the whole site. But i couldn't fix it.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#11 Post by Pidgeot » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:43 am

I think .tk is the only country code where you can get permanently free domains. Every other country I know of takes an annual fee, usually between $10 and $20. Once you have the domain, you can find a cheap host for it and either have them host your site there or place a redirect.

If you want to get one of those, I did a bit of availability checking for you:

Code: Select all

funnystuff.ws   - Available
funnystuff.us   - Not Available 
funnystuff.tv   - Available
funnystuff.org  - Not Available
funnystuff.net  - Not Available
funnystuff.info - Not Available
funnystuff.com  - Not Available
funnystuff.cc   - Available
funnystuff.biz  - Not Available
For different country codes (.be, .nl, .jp, .br...), find a webhost in that country. If they offer space with a domain, they'll have a search.

Subdomains (which is what DynDNS.org offers you, and is in the form of [name].something.com), however, is readily available. I use http://www.no-ip.com/ for a quick way to access my home computer.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#12 Post by Music Head » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:36 am

Cools thanks pidgeot.

PS POKEMON TALK. When i pplayed Poke'mon Yellow my pigiot was my star poke'mon. God, i loved those pokemon games (when i was just a young Pidgey). I never did finish em got a 151 pokemon but when i went to catch Mew i always died. I found Mew by getting the keys from the games arcade and moving the truck near the SSANNE. Did you catch him?NO MORE POKEMON TALK

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#13 Post by Pidgeot » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:52 pm

[POKéTALK] The truck is not movable at all, so I have no idea how you could have found Mew there.

I got Mew from Nintendo, in a small "pre-release" competition they held in their magazine before going on the promotional tour. Thusly, I was one of the 24 first people in Denmark to get Mew legally, and also one of the very first Danes to legitimately complete my POKéDEX.

About a year ago, however, a bug was found that let you fight an actual Mew by battling certain trainers in a row. That one is present in Red, Blue and Yellow. Doesn't involve the truck, though.

The truck MAY be usable for something (possibly Mew) in the upcoming FireRed/LeafGreen, as it's still there - which disproves the previously common theory that it was just left over from an early stage in development. Also, it's harder to get there now, which makes it even more likely that it has a purpose.[/POKéTALK]

Jafar
Super Star

#14 Post by Jafar » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:52 am

Ugh, that dad-gum truck rumor.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#15 Post by Music Head » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:21 am

Yeah, It is if you go to the Team Rocket Arcade there are some keys at one of the slot machines. But you can only get them when you get 151 pokemon. I swear it works cause i remember doing it. Underneath the truck is a cave and in the little cave is Mew.

Also my version isn't by nintendo it's some kind of exact remake. But it is exactly the exactly same game everywhere.