Any tips for a high CPU temp??

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Any tips for a high CPU temp??

#1 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:35 pm

Hi guys,

I seem to have a problem where by when I play a game after a about 15-20 mins the PC freezes and when I reboot it will freeze again about 2-5 mintues into the game.

I ran a memory checker program and everything seems fine so I think it must be my CPU, when I first turn it on in the morning it is 28 C and obvisouly warms up but when I play a game obviously the CPU is doing alot more work and when the system freezes and I reboot the CPU temp is like 72 C is this normal or would this cause the crashing? If so what do I do, by a new fan??

The system temp is only about 42 C which I think is fine its just the CPU gets 70 C + when playing games.

Cheers

Jafar
Super Star

#2 Post by Jafar » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:46 pm

Is your PC fan working? Maybe you need a new one. Or you could just put a fan next to the PC. It worked for my mother.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:05 pm

Yes, the system fan (one in power supply) is running and obviously the CPU has a heat sink and a fan on it.

Zeus
Knight Status

#4 Post by Zeus » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:49 pm

The fan may be working but if the silicon or thermal paste/pad is burned then you have a problem. Heat is not transfered properly from cpu to the
heat sink.

You have to remove the fan+heatsink, apply thermal paste on the cpu and put heatsink+fan back. You will notice a big difference. Avoid silicon. Use pad or paste.

Additionally you can leave the case open to help the airflow.

Pesonally i have installed the Zalman solution and it is quiet.
Last edited by Zeus on Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#5 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:55 pm

Try reseatting the heatsink. You really don't want your CPU to go above 50C so that's a little scary to hear. Do you have your computer up against a wall or in a closed space? Try putting it somewhere where it can breath.

Also, try getting some more thermall paste or cleaning the heatsink of dust. It builds up quicker than you'd think. Good luck!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#6 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:08 pm

Yea it is in a corner against a wall, but I've sorted out a tempoary solution, I took the side panel off and placed my normal bedroom fan blowing onto the mobo and the CPU temp has gone down to 55 C and the PC no longer crashes when I play games!!!

I'll definetly have to get a better fan though!

Thanks for the tips guys.

Jafar
Super Star

#7 Post by Jafar » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:09 pm

No problem. ;)

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#8 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:20 am

Angelus, are you usinga laptop or a desktop? Cuz I've noticed my laptop overheating lately (and just doing normal things like playing a DVD or what not, or burning one). So I'm thinking about getting an external USB fan thing to put underneath. Anyone ever used one?